follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #29
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpike View Post
The answer to this is actually easier than you think.

The correct answer for track racing is whatever system is available which has the best heat management and reliability. Track racing places the engine under prolonged loads, and most street variety aftermarket kits tend to fall down under these conditions. Crappy hoses break, bad couplings come off, turbo bearings cook, and the water temp. will go very high if you choose a crappy setup.

Each car should be considered on a separate basis. Positive displacement superchargers are generally at a disadvantage here, because they don't usually allow for intercooling. Intercooling is a must for track racing. Strapping any decent boost supercharger and running it full throttle without an intercooler for hours at a time will both make detonation a huge problem as well as overload your cooling system. Any system that can be intercooled should be preferred, either centrifugal supercharger or turbo.

Oil cooling is also a priority for turbos and centrifugal compressors. Oil cooling should use high quality oil lines, fittings, and filters. Intercoolers should be mounted for best aero effect, and should have screens to protect the front face. Air/water intercoolers should be avoided, because the water will reach high temperatures quickly under load, and without enough radiator surface area will not be able to scrub off the heat faster than heat is being added by the intake air. Air/water systems tend to work well on the street, since the high intake air temps last for only short bursts of time. On track it's quite the opposite.

The BRZ is so new that I don't know which of the available kits would have the best reliability. I see some that should do very well, but I have no direct experience with them so I won't make any judgements here.

reviving this- last post above has value..
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmookher For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #30
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All I know is after reading this thread I feel more confused.

I've never installed a turbo or sc to a car. I did have an A6 2.7T back in the day but that doesn't count right now because I say it doesn't.

I like winding engines out. It gives me a fast "sensation" and I love redlining. Eventually, as great as the engine sounds you look at your surroundings and realizing you're not really moving that fast because it took about 10 seconds to catch and pass the mini-van to be the first person on the on-ramp.

I'm not looking to drag race. I just want to enjoy driving this car and doing the same things I like to do like mountain carving or driving insanely fast on country backroads' twists and turns enjoying the balance of this car.

I need more oomph. I don't know what turbo lag feels like but the way it sounds I think that would ruin things for me. I hear that power is good early on but it fades off later in the rpm range. I like the idea of a SC , gradually increasing through the rpm range like stock.

On the other hand, I want some raw power. Sometimes I'm lazy and I just want to stomp on the throttle without downshifting. I want to feel that rush people with turbos talk about. (I get that rush too winding an engine out to redline) . Different rushes.
I want to embarrass a few people that taunt me not realizing the BRZ they pulled up on is not NA.

I'm just fucking confused. This is alot of money for me right now starting off in my career field not too long ago. I don't want to ruin this car.

Any help would be appreciated whether it's a reply on this thread or PM.

-Nelson
JoeBoxer (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #31
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My 2c...

A good driver can adjust style to deal with on/off throttles and turbo lag, and will set better times on whichever car has a better torque curve.

For example when lifting mid corner, they will bleed off just enough throttle to initiate the nose in weight transfer and engine breaking characteristics they need but maintain enough to keep the turbo spooling, ready for full boost as soon as they punch back it to WOT.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #32
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
I need more oomph. I don't know what turbo lag feels like but the way it sounds I think that would ruin things for me. I hear that power is good early on but it fades off later in the rpm range. I like the idea of a SC , gradually increasing through the rpm range like stock.

On the other hand, I want some raw power. Sometimes I'm lazy and I just want to stomp on the throttle without downshifting. I want to feel that rush people with turbos talk about. (I get that rush too winding an engine out to redline) . Different rushes.
I want to embarrass a few people that taunt me not realizing the BRZ they pulled up on is not NA.

I'm just fucking confused. This is alot of money for me right now starting off in my career field not too long ago. I don't want to ruin this car.

Any help would be appreciated whether it's a reply on this thread or PM.

-Nelson
Sounds like you need a Roots blower. Rumor has it there's a TRD supercharger kit coming out. It'll be expensive but if it comes with a good blower (TVS) like the recent TRD SC kits have been, change the pulley to get 0.8 bar boost and you'll be happily smoking tires with over 300hp.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
FreshFRS (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #33
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Should have some numbers very soon now that this guy showed up
Jesse@JDLAutodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@JDLAutodesign View Post
Should have some numbers very soon now that this guy showed up
Hmm... tell me more...
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #35
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Sounds like you need a Roots blower. Rumor has it there's a TRD supercharger kit coming out. It'll be expensive but if it comes with a good blower (TVS) like the recent TRD SC kits have been, change the pulley to get 0.8 bar boost and you'll be happily smoking tires with over 300hp.
This. :happy0180: and if TRD is a flop go custom.
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #36
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So we're seeing FI kits we can actually purchase. I'm curious what you guys are thinking about things so far. I think if I had to buy a kit today from what was currently available, it would be AVO. Obviously, a lot of people have. I'm not crazy about the fact that in order to get the results Perrin put forward, you literally have to purchase four additional products by them in addition to the Vortech and their tune. I'm most anxious about the Innovate (Cusco... Bullet.. whatever) twin screw, though, and can't wait for real results. The fact that Visconti is getting one to tune really makes it look much less like vaporware.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #37
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Innovate is still my top option although litchfield is interesting too. I'm not a big turbo guy but the JDL twin scroll kit coming should be sweet.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeBoxer For This Useful Post:
Jeff86 (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #38
Jeff86

Thanks for the response, Joe.

Since this is a chat thread, I'm going to go ahead and say what's on my mind. I could give a crap about this being a thread I started and I'm sure it will die. It had a purpose, though, that seems to work on many other car forums. You don't post heaping piles of bs in vendor threads. This (or some thread like it) should have been the place for all the discussion, debating and warring about various solutions. Now when I go look at a thread I just scroll through page after page until I see a post from a vendor... then try to put what they are saying into context. It's really too bad. I'm a car enthusiast and I LOVE my 86 very much. I was really excited to participate on this forum, but I rarely come away from it feeling I've enjoyed the experience.

While I'm at it, it's very difficult to get to know people over the internet. Intent is hard to convey. I've been working on my own cars for a lot of years now (I'm old) and like to believe I know something about building an engine and FI solution. If I have ever come off like an all-knowing asshole (or just generally full of crap), I sincerely apologize.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff86 For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I've refrained from posting in most of the FI threads as much as possible, there are some that interest me but honestly i will wait and see what happens when the kits get out in the real world before i could make a decision. I can swap wheels pretty easy but superchargers/turbo kits need way more time out in customers hands before i can decide.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #40
Jeff86

Yeah I agree. It's hard when I see kits ready to roll out the door and waiting periods already developing for AVO, etc, but I can't jump yet either. I'd like to choose what I'm relatively sure will stick with the car years down the road.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #41
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, this was a good idea, problem being, this is the internet! People are not very...courteous to others, no repercussions blah blah blah.

That being said, my FRS may be the first FI in Hawaii. Ive never once driven a car with a super charger.

My first impression of the FRS after having the tC: Where is my torque? It seems to lack in that department. Doesnt mean I dont LOVE the car, or that it isnt quick!

If a supercharger is pumping 8 PSI and a Turbo doing the same, will I need the same size injectors for both? As in, will the fuel required be the same?

When should i start looking at getting a full cooling system with a supercharger?
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #42
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
My 2c...

A good driver can adjust style to deal with on/off throttles and turbo lag, and will set better times on whichever car has a better torque curve.

For example when lifting mid corner, they will bleed off just enough throttle to initiate the nose in weight transfer and engine breaking characteristics they need but maintain enough to keep the turbo spooling, ready for full boost as soon as they punch back it to WOT.
Nah, I have a little bit of seat time under my belt and can tell you I firmly disagree with you. Nothing worse than pedals that don't modulate be it brake or throttle. Precision is just that, the capability of taking a corner the same line over and over. Precision requires finesse on both driver and machine.

I've driven tuned cars with more of a on off throttle feel. I don't like them.
Don't confuse good driver vs bad driver with good tuning vs bad tuning. Both look the same on a dynojet printout...
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote