follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
GregV

Drives: Kia Stinger GT2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
And searching the forums saves me yet another call/trip to the dealership
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
violentknight

Drives: scion frs , toyota celica gts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
i had this issue this morning , ive had my frs for less then a week , this morning it was very cold an my windows were frozen once i got inside and started the car , the AUTO lights on the buttons were flashing , the p/s window did nothing at all , once the cars heater warmed up an the d/s window worked it would only work if i held the button, the auto feature would not work at all , after work everything seems to be working fine other then now my d/s window squeels like crazy
violentknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #31
Urka

Drives: '83 Rabbit GTi, '99 G20t
Seems like the cold whether has been playing a factor. Seen two frs's come in for the same concern. All they both needed was reinitization of the auto function. I believe it could be caused by the windows themselves being frozen to the seals; and when you attempt to roll down the window they're not defrosted yet, the window motor/actuator draws too much current and somehow looses memory or resets itself. Another thought is when you open your doors, the windows are supposed to drop a little to clear the upper seals, maybe similar cause could be from when you open your door in the morning. Definitely keeping an eye out for a definite cause for you guys.

Update: I was blindly reminded these vehicles are equipped with jam protection. Window motor ecu senses jam, stops everything. I am just confused why it looses parameters, and needing further initialization. Ecu logic

Last edited by Urka; 01-03-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Urka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Urka For This Useful Post:
31katys (01-04-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #32
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu baru View Post
Update: So I get a call from the dealership after they spoke with Subaru. Get this, Subaru is claiming that they're getting a fair amount of calls on this issue and they all come from owners with tinted windows, and their explanation is that there's a small amount of metal in the tint that's causing the auto window program to crash. After I stopped laughing, I asked why it's only happened to me twice when we had a freeze after a rain while my windows have been tinted for months. They couldn't answer that one, but did say that the word from Subaru seemed "odd". They're going to talk with the regional rep when he's in next week and let me know what he says. Classic.
So the metal in the door and the rest of the car doesn't bother it, but the tiny amount of invisible filings in window tint is enough to confuse it?

-Justin
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #33
Chillyairplane

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Has this happened to anyone on their trunk? I opened it just fine with the keyfob this morning... and when i got to work the button no longer worked.. i have to manually open my trunk with the key. It was about 27 this morning..

It doesnt even beep or respond or anything.
Chillyairplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #34
GregV

Drives: Kia Stinger GT2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillyairplane View Post
Has this happened to anyone on their trunk? I opened it just fine with the keyfob this morning... and when i got to work the button no longer worked.. i have to manually open my trunk with the key. It was about 27 this morning..

It doesnt even beep or respond or anything.
Maybe you accidentally activated the valet feature? Check the button in the trunk.
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #35
Chillyairplane

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S.
Ha! Something in my trunk must have hit that! I didnt even know it existed. Thank you!
Chillyairplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #36
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
That happened to me. I had no idea there was such a dumb button until I took it to the dealer as part of a list of things I wanted them to do and check. Even after that I didn't check for the button's location myself until yesterday after I got my cargo tray. Now that I see where it is, the button is even dumber than what I previously believed it to be.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #37
31katys

Drives: whiteout mt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperswe View Post
My windows does this every friggin morning now when it's cold. But after a reset they work again, but i've stopped doing that to since they'll just stop working again next morning....

I do NOT have tinted windows either. It's just a shitty mechanism...
I don't either! That's a load of crap! Motors not strong enough maybe?? Mine was frozen shut and I had to force the door open. Even after scraping the ice it was still sticking and I got stuck in the car! I took it to Toyota but they of course said everything was working normally and when I asked them what I'm supposed to do when I can't get into the car they told me they didn't know, but to try getting de-icer. Grrrrrreat....
31katys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #38
baadshah

Drives: premium silver
dont have tint and have the same problem here. driver side doesnt fully roll up after shutting door and passenger side doesnt work.. its very annoying after you spend so much money on such a car
baadshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #39
n8dog11914

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Quick Question:

Has this happened to anyone when the temperatures were NOT below approximately 40 Degrees F?
n8dog11914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #40
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
I tried the reset and it didn't work. My passenger window will go down using the pass side switch but not the main driver side one. I DO NOT have tints so Subies claims are BS. Also like others mentioned I was getting a whistling because the windows won't go up all the way. This is so annoying! Going in to the dealer Tuesday.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #41
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC BRZ View Post
I tried the reset and it didn't work. My passenger window will go down using the pass side switch but not the main driver side one. I DO NOT have tints so Subies claims are BS. Also like others mentioned I was getting a whistling because the windows won't go up all the way. This is so annoying! Going in to the dealer Tuesday.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Don't go to the dealer, it's an easy fix.

If the passenger side window won't go up/down by the controls on the drivers side, but goes up/down from the passenger side, then with the car on hold the passenger side button down until it clicks, then hold it until it goes up and clicks. If you can't hear the click (I never could), just hold it for a few seconds after it stops in both directions. Now the controls on the driver side should work.

It doesn't seem to matter if the car is running or not, as I've done this at a stop light from the drivers seat by reaching over to the passenger controls.

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #42
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
Don't go to the dealer, it's an easy fix.

If the passenger side window won't go up/down by the controls on the drivers side, but goes up/down from the passenger side, then with the car on hold the passenger side button down until it clicks, then hold it until it goes up and clicks. If you can't hear the click (I never could), just hold it for a few seconds after it stops in both directions. Now the controls on the driver side should work.

It doesn't seem to matter if the car is running or not, as I've done this at a stop light from the drivers seat by reaching over to the passenger controls.
Alright ill give it a try. Thanks!
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote