follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #29
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm still sticking with my previous thoughts, lol. Toyota AU confirmed it was coming to our little island at the Sydney AIMS last year. This has to be at least 14 months before production is due to begin anywhere. To me, this says that Toyota Japan has told them a maximum supply price and they've agreed that it well undercuts everything currently available in the local market (why else would they confirm a car so far out?).

I still think it'll come out well below the price of a WRX domestically. It wouldn't make sense if it's more expensive; other than extreme enthusiasts, a N/A RWD just doesn't stack up to a turbo AWD when money is taken out of the equation.

Also, MX5 doesn't count because they're a convertible. Much more engineering needed in them. Have you seen the price difference between a standard Astra and a convertible? It's like 2x the base cost to make the roof go away!
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #30
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yes thats cus theastra convertible is a hack job (pardon the pun :p)
mx5 was always designed to be a convertible. it makes it cheaper in reality (like in the states its nowhere near what we pay for it) BUT that is because we pay for the novelty here haha and they can rip us off.
i HOPE that your right, trust me, im not dissing you in any way, im just very skeptical untill i see it for my self. if it is a decent price (ie sub30) than i will be getting 2. a red one for my self and a black one for the wifey (shes crazy about the car as well, and shes NOT a car person)
Old 06-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #31
celicajim

Drives: ZZT231 Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuGZoR View Post
I still think it'll come out well below the price of a WRX domestically. It wouldn't make sense if it's more expensive; other than extreme enthusiasts, a N/A RWD just doesn't stack up to a turbo AWD when money is taken out of the equation.
I think your missing the point of this car... you can't compare it to a turbo AWD taxi.
Its a little coupe that looks good and is fun to drive.
Not everyone wants a point and shoot rocket that they don't care about the looks of.
celicajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #32
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
actually the WRX is a good car to gauge the actual price of the FT here in Aus, coz it is being co-developed by toyota and subaru.

so lets say subaru bring it out here(which im not really thinking is going to happen but lets run with this at the moment) they aren't going to price it as much as the WRX because the normal buyer would see these two cars compare them see they are getting more for their money in the WRX and get that, therefore killing the FT in its first year of production.

base model of the WRX is $43,950 now the FT cant be anywhere near the 40s because then its too close to a car that has more power more seats yada yada yada... it has to stop around the $38,000 mark for the top of the line model, for it to have enough of a gap to the WRX so thats around $32,000 for the base i can live with that, cant you?
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #33
celicajim

Drives: ZZT231 Celica
It costs more to develop a chassis/body that will have a lower volume of sales.
The current/previous WRX's chassis and body is shared with the mass volume Impreza, therefore the cost of tooling etc is spread over a much greater volume...
celicajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #34
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
still if it comes in too close to the WRX sales will suffer

EDIT: 7onyd puts it better below

Last edited by Calais; 06-08-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #35
70NYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicajim View Post
It costs more to develop a chassis/body that will have a lower volume of sales.
The current/previous WRX's chassis and body is shared with the mass volume Impreza, therefore the cost of tooling etc is spread over a much greater volume...
I see what your saying, but in this case your completely wrong. Regardless of how much it costs to make, they will not have profit at all if they make it as expensive as a wrx which is more powerful and roomier and as a result don't sell any/much/enough..
Old 06-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #36
EvO^GsR

Drives: Evo 3, Evo 9
Personally think that they will have to make sure that this car be within the high 20K to mid 30K mark to make an impact on the market but u never know with australian pricing

Oh and BTW there was an article I saw somewhere which stated that this chassis for the FT86 would be in use for a while (long lifecycle or something like that) so that would spread the cost of development a bit.
EvO^GsR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #37
mikedsilva
Retail Sales Manager

Drives: Ducati Sport 1000 Harley Nightster
Imagine if Toyota Aus introduced this car at a base price of 29990 plus ORC... in fact, thats what I'm guessing it will be... stamp duty, dealer delivery, rego and CTP.. it will be about $34-$35 on road at full price.
Dealer margin will be approximately $3500 in total.
You will get nothing off the price to begin with. In fact, if they only import numbers similar to the FJ cruiser, I expect the first stock allocation will be sold before they land... then the second wave will be sold by the people coming to see the first wave.
Prices should hold well. There will be likely 2 models in the toyota stable... an entry level, and a slightly more aggressive model.

In typical Toyota fashion, the aggressive model will be a waste of money. A 50 year old "marketing" guy, will tick the boxes for what he thinks are cool options... horrible seat patterns, garish alloy wheels, clumsy interior LED lighting... a STUPID badge name...

My bet is the base model will be the one to get. IT will still have TRC, VSC, electric everything, bluetooth, airbags galore...

Hopefully, Toyota will let another manufacturer decide the spec level and the final styling. Let's face it, Toyota is built on camry and corolla... all sports cars were styling fails and a little lacklustre in performance... No sex appeal at all.
They'll probably utilise an "australian icon" to promote the car... like Barry Humphries (remember the Avalon?) or Crocodile Dundee...

I'm talking rubbish anyway...
mikedsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #38
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicajim View Post
I think your missing the point of this car... you can't compare it to a turbo AWD taxi.
Its a little coupe that looks good and is fun to drive.
Not everyone wants a point and shoot rocket that they don't care about the looks of.
I think you missed the point of my posts completely, and frankly I think you're a bit of an idiot. If you think a WRX is a "taxi" you're off in lala land.

The FT86 is only going to be as sporty as something like a WRX. It'll handle far better than most cars on the road, but it still needs to comply with ADR so they can only take it so far. Remember they're making a car that you'd want to take to the track on the weekend, but something you wouldn't curse every time you had to set off on a 45 minute commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

That's beside the point anyway! I was referring to manufacturing and Australian sales volumes. They'll be hoping to shift as many units as the WRX does here in AU as that's probably its nearest direct competitor. Sporty but practical to a degree, and slots into a bit of a niche. From Jan-Apr 2011 Subaru shifted 5,000 Imprezas in Australia, of which you'd have to imagine ~1,000 or fewer were WRXs. That's less than 200 units a month at best. Only 400 Toyota Rukus' were sold in that same time...

Toyota will be cheering if they shift 200 FT86's per month.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #39
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Good news all. Talked to one of the reps on the Toyota stand at the motor show. FT86 goes on sale July 2012 and the base model will be around the 35k mark. On the high side of what I was expecting but close enough! Glad to finally have some news on this though. Pics and vids coming when I get back to brissy.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #40
70NYD

fuck
yeah
i did this calc in dec last year when the rumors started flying about the price in jap/us with a direct conversion from their price to ours (since we dont make any here)
wasnt that fur off eh?
Customs Value 25000
Customs Duty 2500
Trans&Ins 4500
Value of Taxable Importation (VoTI) 32000
GST 3200
Total Payable 5700
Total Car Cost (car cost + transport + Tax) 35200

THIS is if i was to import it my self
ofcourse toyota having what 2000 cars imported at a time on a ship, means that their import cost is more like 1000 per car rather than the 4500, and im not sure how the customs duties go on corporations but anyway, it would mean that the base model will be costing them around 30000 with the 5k being their profit (around 20%, thats pretty good per product)
this is all still rumors untill there is a official press release or a quatable confirmation from a exec so that means that they still have a chance to price them selfs out vs the MX5 (IMO still their closest competitor)
if they somehow manage to SCREW this up, i will be gray importing a JDM model (seeing how they will get it before us )
Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #41
JSL

Drives: MY11 WRX
This thread is so funny..

There no way this car will be under 40k in Australia.. Your all dreaming if you think that is the case..
JSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #42
70NYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL View Post
This thread is so funny..

There no way this car will be under 40k in Australia.. Your all dreaming if you think that is the case..
Your an idiot

Tags
# heads up undercover, ## police now posting