follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #29
cynic

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
weight reduction is nice but if you are going to get that crazy with it you probably should just start off with a lighter car. you are just paying for things you are going to throw away. just buy a 7 or elise or miata. if that isnt practical a gutted ft probably isnt either but instead of dropping 25k on an ft just buy an old miata to gut and a nice civic to dd
I have considered both of those cars. The Elise is too impracticle as an every day car. I know some people use their Lotus every day but I couldn't do it. As for the Miata I would not want to own a convertible. I would never own 2 cars.

Everything's a compromise.

Regards,
C
cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #30
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Quote:
weight reduction is nice but if you are going to get that crazy with it you probably should just start off with a lighter car. you are just paying for things you are going to throw away. just buy a 7 or elise or miata. if that isnt practical a gutted ft probably isnt either but instead of dropping 25k on an ft just buy an old miata to gut and a nice civic to dd
This. Taking a brand new car and going to the extremes of removing carpet, seat belts, and stereo equipment, but drawing the line at keeping the A/C just seems kinda silly to me. How much is that removed weight going to affect balance, and in a positive or negative fashion? Is it just placebo?

I was originally looking into a dual purpose role for the car as well, so I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cereal, just posting my own thought process on the subject. Now I'm looking more at a nice street car and spending the money I would have dumped into it on a kart. As fatoni suggests, a car for each situation would probably work better and still come out cheaper. But hey, more power to ya.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #31
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
I have considered both of those cars. The Elise is too impracticle as an every day car. I know some people use their Lotus every day but I couldn't do it. As for the Miata I would not want to own a convertible. I would never own 2 cars.

Everything's a compromise.

Regards,
C
if you can only have one car, its hard to look past the evo. i cant think of something it does bad
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #32
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
if you can only have one car, its hard to look past the evo. i cant think of something it does bad
fuel economy?
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #33
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
fuel economy?
with a tune its not really all that bad. and thats really splitting hairs. if a car is good enough to take the place of what would otherwise be two cars. you can reoup alot of the cost of gas by saving in maintenance, space and insurance
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #34
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
or you can just get one car that can carry alot of things and people...
that gets good fuel economy and is fun.

I.e. Audi RS3
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #35
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFormula View Post
or you can just get one car that can carry alot of things and people...
that gets good fuel economy and is fun.

I.e. Audi RS3
... isn't that like 50k?
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #36
cynic

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
This. Taking a brand new car and going to the extremes of removing carpet, seat belts, and stereo equipment, but drawing the line at keeping the A/C just seems kinda silly to me. How much is that removed weight going to affect balance, and in a positive or negative fashion? Is it just placebo?
As I mentioned in an earlier post I where I live it occassionally gets to 40c. Out west,where I sometimes travel, it can get to 45c. Aircon is a requirement.

And yes! Absolutely it is a placebo. I couldn't agree with you more. 40 kilograms would make neglible difference. Taking more race instruction would have a much bigger impact on my driving. I do not have the skill or money to win a race. But this is what I like in my cars. Why have a 1180 kilogram car when I can have a 1140 kilogram car? Irrational? Yep. Pedantic? Sure! But who cares? As i said earlier this is my project.

Quote:
It is awd. Does not appeal to me in the slightest.

Last edited by cynic; 10-24-2011 at 01:23 AM.
cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #37
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
lol people should chill out and let the guy do what he wants, its not like hes asking what are the biggest chrome wheels he can fit while being slammed of airbags
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote