follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #29
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
I'm sure it's right in front of my face. Feel free to call me a dope but at least provide a link. The stock car has an EL header, which is why it does not sound like a typical boxer, correct? The various UEL headers are what would make the FR-S sound like a typical Boxer, correct? I DO NOT want it to sound like a typical boxer, so I need to look at aftermarket EL headers, correct? Thanks!
here is what I have. HKS EL header, motiv OP, motiv front midpipe with high flow cat, ark catback.

http://web.stagram.com/p/707997224129277089_31758082

here she is on the dyno a while back with a 9psi pulley before i went with the 11psi pulley on the vortech
http://web.stagram.com/p/682623034882797191_31758082

hope this helps.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
Tromatic (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #30
wtrxprs007

Drives: 2006 Toyota Prado 4.0V6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET86 View Post
They do, I hate spiders.
I hate spiders with a burning passion
wtrxprs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #31
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshayan View Post
IIRC, a lot of cars are unequal length. The rumble is present because of how Subaru puts the engine together. The UEL header promotes the boxer rumble. Even an EL header on an STI will still have the boxer rumble.
The reason the Subaru exhausts have such a pronounced burble is because of how unequal the runner lengths are. Most stock manifolds are slightly unequal, but Subaru boxers are VERY unequal.

It will?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkJ9MaEdWcY"]2012 STi sedan with EL headers and Greddy Evo 3 exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CwgnWmtwgI"]2011 sti stock exhaust manifold vs perrin equal length manifold - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdcre_3Mx4"]2012 Subaru Wrx Un Equal and Equal Length Headers before and after - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #32
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The reason the Subaru exhausts have such a pronounced burble is because of how unequal the runner lengths are. Most stock manifolds are slightly unequal, but Subaru boxers are VERY unequal.

It will?

Subaru's have a characteristic sound because they have a horizontally opposed four cylinder engine, also known as the "boxer" engine. Hence the term boxer rumble. UEL only promotes the sound, EL is a bit more raspy and hides the rumble but it's still evident. Both cylinders on one half of the engine fire, then the other 2. This causes the exhaust pulses to not be evenly spaced, which creates the Boxer Rumble.

Think about it, it's not called the "UEL rumble".. it's the BOXER rumble
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #33
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Well, my car has zero rumble with EL. If you closed your eyes it sounds like any inline 4.

I'm pretty sure it's more about the crank timing than the cylinder layout.

The rumble comes from the unequal length header.

With the equal length header, the exhaust note is:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXsn7fLV-M&feature=kp"]7-UP Commercial featuring Geoffrey Holder - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
Subaru's have a characteristic sound because they have a horizontally opposed four cylinder engine, also known as the "boxer" engine. Hence the term boxer rumble. UEL only promotes the sound, EL is a bit more raspy and hides the rumble but it's still evident. Both cylinders on one half of the engine fire, then the other 2. This causes the exhaust pulses to not be evenly spaced, which creates the Boxer Rumble.

mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #34
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Well, my car has zero rumble with EL. If you closed your eyes it sounds like any inline 4.
See, this is why I don't want an EL header. Everyone has their tastes, but the only 4 cylinders that sound good to me are these Boxers and the Fiat 500 Abarth. Any other Toyota, Honda, or whatever I-4 engine/exhaust just sounds like shit to me.

If my car didn't sound the way it does with my exhaust mods, it would've stayed stock and quiet.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #35
chiefshayan

Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's more about the crank timing than the cylinder layout.

The rumble comes from the unequal length header.

With the equal length header, the exhaust note is:

I disagree, but it doesn't matter. I'll be open open dump/wastegated pretty soon so I won't even be able to hear myself think when driving, let alone my exhaust
Old 06-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #36
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I was referring to the exhaust note or frequency. Our cars still sound very unique I think with either type of header.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
See, this is why I don't want an EL header. Everyone has their tastes, but the only 4 cylinders that sound good to me are these Boxers and the Fiat 500 Abarth. Any other Toyota, Honda, or whatever I-4 engine/exhaust just sounds like shit to me.

If my car didn't sound the way it does with my exhaust mods, it would've stayed stock and quiet.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #37
chiefshayan

Quote:
I was referring to the exhaust note or frequency. Our cars still sound very unique I think with either type of header.
I agree with that. I wouldn't recommend an EL header for our cars, sounds out of place to me. But exhaust is very opinionated. I think UEL is the way to go for N/A
Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #38
wtrxprs007

Quote:

No actually, in a 4 cylinder engine, whatever the layout of it is, only one cylinder will fire at a time then the next and so on. You also just said "boxer rumble" and then said "UEL promotes the SOUND" hmm... Then the exhaust is what promotes the BOXER RUMBLE.

Boxer engines do have their own characteristic sounds too but it's the exhaust and exhaust piping that does the music.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #39
FormulaD1988

Drives: 2004 VW Touareg 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrxprs007 View Post
Boxer engines do have their own characteristic sounds too but it's the exhaust and exhaust piping that does the music.
This. It's the order in which the cylinders fire in a flat engine: LLRR (1,3,2,4). UEL runners make the "pulse" more pronounced. However, there's a video of a s2k on Youtube running custom fabricated UEL headers that has a similar pulse, albeit a lot higher pitched.

Last edited by FormulaD1988; 06-02-2014 at 05:16 AM.
FormulaD1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #40
wtrxprs007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaD1988 View Post
This. It's the order in which the cylinders fire in a flat engine: LLRR (1,3,2,4). UEL headers make the "pulse" more pronounced.
Exactly what I was trying to say but couldn't really word it. Thank you
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #41
w00t692

Drives: 2008 Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Boxers don't have a sound...

And if you don't want the UEL sound don't get one. Unfortunately there really isn't much out that seems to perform well enough to justify the cost for el. All of the good performing headers seem to be UEL

Also these cars are quite raspy with a el header so if you are you okay with lots of rasp you may want to keep the oem header or get a very well muffled exhaust.
Nope. Look up a youtube video of an sti with the perrin EL header.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #42
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

No. How much boxer rumble do you hear in any of these?

H6 swapped impreza (still a boxer)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnuj58lFQI"]EFI Logics Track Car - YouTube[/ame]

Older 911 (yes, those are boxer engines too)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXH6I9ray0"]'89 Porsche 911 Carrera dyno run - twin exit exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

New 911 (yep, still boxers)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20xhYn1QnCA"]Porsche 991 Carrera S Dyno Test and Tune Exhaust Bypass Pipes - YouTube[/ame]

Yet another 911 (again, still a boxer)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UQ-Psx0ZgU"]Porsche 993 RSR 2 61 litre twin turbo dyno - YouTube[/ame]

There are two main reasons the (non FRS/BRZ) Subaru 4 cylinder boxers sound so different.

1) The stock manifolds are VERY UEL and merge the ports right at the head instead of having individual runners for each cylinder.
2) They have different firing orders than most engines, and fire both left cylinders then both right cylinders.

The firing order combined with the manifold design is why they rumble so much stock. If you swap out to an EL manifold you'll definitely get rid of the rumble.