follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #29
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
if this were the Honda forums...
"VTEC kicked in after 5 minutes... I guess it had to warm up or something..."
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #30
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL ya but there was way more too it. I am just amazed that it just received no real reaction.
We'll ask when he does the next one.
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrappydoo For This Useful Post:
mjanmohammad (06-04-2017), Tcoat (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #31
Zed

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited GBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL ya but there was way more too it. I am just amazed that it just received no real traction.
Fixed
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zed For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #32
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
We'll ask when he does the next one.
Eh, it's been a decade since I've had an accident. I had to get it out of my system some time .
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
acetothermus (11-16-2016), Tcoat (11-16-2016), Ultramaroon (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
Eh, it's been a decade since I've had an accident. I had to get it out of my system some time .
LOL. Pretty sure they all figured it was another "kid" that just couldn't handle the car. Was waiting for all the sagely advice and it never came. Not normal for here. I am a bit scared now.
acetothermus (11-16-2016), Dadhawk (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #34
acetothermus

Drives: Flying in a Blue Dream
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
LOL ya but there was way more too it. I am just amazed that it just received no real reaction.
Alright...since we've raised the question...

Quote:
Nope. I took delivery of the 2016 on a night when it was 0 C and raining. The rest is history.
Other than the cold and the rain....what precipitated the roll over? Was hooning involved? I've not driven in cold or cold and wet conditions so I can't speak to your situation...However I've had my '16 sideways by accident a couple of times and found it to be very predictable and controllable. Again...no wet, no cold...maybe that was the difference?
acetothermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #35
acetothermus

Quote:
LOL. Pretty sure they all figured it was another "kid" that just couldn't handle the car. Was waiting for all the sagely advice and it never came. Not normal for here. I am a bit scared now.

Well Trump was elected as the next US president...Russia is making friendly overtures towards the US...and Microsoft has joined the Linux Foundation....I think there's plenty of reason to be sacred... Hell does gravity even work still?
The Following User Says Thank You to acetothermus For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #36
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetothermus View Post
Well Trump was elected as the next US president...Russia is making friendly overtures towards the US...and Microsoft has joined the Linux Foundation....I think there's plenty of reason to be sacred... Hell does gravity even work still?
Judging by the car that was upside-down in a ditch that started this thread, it seems gravity is on doing quite well this year, but I'd still keep my eye on it.

I do remember another thread about this car, I think he was evading another car going the wrong way down the road? correct me If I'm recalling wrong.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-16-2016), unhappymeal (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #37
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
Judging by the car that was upside-down in a ditch that started this thread, it seems gravity is on doing quite well this year, but I'd still keep my eye on it.

I do remember another thread about this car, I think he was evading another car going the wrong way down the road? correct me If I'm recalling wrong.
Yep!
Turned out of the dealer. Got run off by a car going the wrong way. Rolled into ditch. No hooning, shenanigans, bad driving, judgment errors or any other thing involved. Just the worst luck I ever heard of a new car owner!
unhappymeal (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #38
acetothermus

Quote:
Yep!
Turned out of the dealer. Got run off by a car going the wrong way. Rolled into ditch. No hooning, shenanigans, bad driving, judgment errors or any other thing involved. Just the worst luck I ever heard of a new car owner!
No doubt...Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The Following User Says Thank You to acetothermus For This Useful Post:
unhappymeal (11-17-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #39
Tcoat

Quote:
Nope. I took delivery of the 2016 on a night when it was 0 C and raining. The rest is history.
Epilogue:

http://www.firstchoiceautosalvage.co...8225cc598ab3f/
unhappymeal (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #40
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Note: I've not driven this car in snowy/icy conditions, therefore don't know how well w/s stays clean in such conditions. Other cars I've had get snow/ice on top left of w/s in such conditions, necessitating stopping the car to flick the left wiper arm to deice itself. I would design cars to have heating elements top of w/s, very few engineers consider this. Well most likely due to cost cutting in most cars.
I've gotten so used to opening the window to flick the wiper I don't even consider it a problem anymore. What is a problem is the upper right side freezing up and the wiper starts to float off the windshield after a little while forcing me to stop and clear it. Sometimes there's just no good place to stop when you're on the highway and it goes from frustrating to dangerous in a hurry.

Quote:
It is pretty much the same as all cars where the stuff after the wipers builds up and starts to freeze.
The heating system does a great job of defrosting and warming the upper body in really cold temperatures. It however really sucks at warming your feet! Even with the blower just blasting the floor the top of you will be wetting and your feet ice cold. There was a couple of threads on this and we finally figured out that even though the blower is down there it isn't circulating the heat through the whole car. There isn't enough space between the back of the front seats and the front of the back seats to allow much air movement and this prevents the air back there from heating well. The result is cold air from the back keeping your feet frozen for about1/2 an hour of driving.
Yesterday I did a long (600) mile road trip and it was stupid cold most of the time. Early in the morning when it was below zero (F) I realized what the problem actually is. The cold radiating off the transmission tunnel is significant. It made my right leg and foot so cold I had to use the cruise control so I could move my leg over into the warm area. It was kind of scary because it had just finished snowing and the road was slick in spots and using cruise when it's like that is generally not a great idea. Once it got up into the single digits it wasn't as bad but still annoying.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #41
unhappymeal

Quote:
Good find!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #42
unhappymeal

A few more observations after 3,000 km of ownership:

-The engine has a coarse rattling noise around 4,000 RPMs at part throttle. At first I thought it was oil starvation (my K20 used to make a similar noise when it'd been burning oil), but it appears it's just the noise the engine makes. I'm hoping switching to the TRD intake will mask a bit of this noise.

-The fogs aren't the greatest. We had heavy fog up here last weekend and I could barely tell the difference between the fogs being on or off.

-The colour temperature of the LEDs is awful in the fog. This is not an indictment of the BRZ, but more so a critique of LEDs and Xenons in general.

-The steering wheel feels much better now that it's been broken in so to speak. It's softer and less slippery/plasticky feeling.

-The new spoiler was an awful decision. Not for aesthetic reasons, but because every passenger who has carried cargo in my trunk has used the wing to lift and close the trunk lid. I need to politely explain to them that it's aluminum and they need to be delicate.

-The car is perfectly fine for long drives. It gets loud on bad asphalt, but I attribute some of that to the winter tires.

-The car is shockingly useful for storing cargo. I am renoing my home office and was able to fit 200 cm long sheets of pine in the car by folding the rear seats down and then reclining the passenger seat all the way a la Honda Fit Long Mode.

-Fuel economy is pretty good for a small displacement, high gear ratio NA engine. I am averaging 8.8 L / 100 km with commuting in heavy traffic 3 - 4 days per week.

-Oil changes are clean and stupidly easy to do.

-I need to buy a new jack because of how low the car is.

-My wife still dislikes the car (especially getting in and out of it), but she asked if she could drive it in the summer. I think she's warming up to it.

-My co-workers make jokes that I must be getting paid too much based on the car's looks. This in a parking lot with M and AMG cars. I have to politely explain to them that the car costs less than the Outbacks and Edges we outfit our Field Force with.
The Following User Says Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
mjanmohammad (01-26-2017)