follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #29
BobbyBlue86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet48 View Post
First thing I check for after new tires or something is installed I check the torque on the wheels, if it doesn't show anything I re-balance them. Quickest and easiest way in my opinion to try to solve a vibration issue as you describe. If it persists then I might go ahead and check for tire run-out or rim bend/s? I'm trying here LOL

Good luck
Thanks!

There is a whole mess of things going through my head. I had my gear box replaced RIGHT after i put those wheels on and the humming makes me think I need to check the drive shaft to make sure they didnt install it wrong or something.

Is there any way you can install the universals 180 out from each other and cause an unbalance? I tried looking up pictures while I was at work but i didnt see if it was possible on these or not.

The dunlops are SUPER loud and i think putting the super sports on there quieted it down enough to hear/feel it. Lol
BobbyBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #30
Sweet48

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBlue86 View Post
Thanks!

There is a whole mess of things going through my head. I had my gear box replaced RIGHT after i put those wheels on and the humming makes me think I need to check the drive shaft to make sure they didnt install it wrong or something.

Is there any way you can install the universals 180 out from each other and cause an unbalance? I tried looking up pictures while I was at work but i didnt see if it was possible on these or not.

The dunlops are SUPER loud and i think putting the super sports on there quieted it down enough to hear/feel it. Lol
Oh wow, what was wrong with your gearbox? Hell with something like that i "could" be your driveshaft but i really doubt it. typically the car will definitely tell you if somethings wrong with that. lol

Sorry what did you mean universals? Maybe we have different names for some things, us canadians seem to be behind the times of our neighbours to the south. (YES neighBOURS not neighBORS, politically correct humour, kinda my thing)

Ya those dunlops arent the quitest tires around, i try to avoid dunlops if possible (unless star spec 2's )
Sweet48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #31
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
maybe your front shocks are blown? have you tried putting back on your stock wheels/tires and see if you still have all the same issues?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 PM   #32
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet48 View Post
Oh wow, what was wrong with your gearbox? Hell with something like that i "could" be your driveshaft but i really doubt it. typically the car will definitely tell you if somethings wrong with that. lol

Sorry what did you mean universals? Maybe we have different names for some things, us canadians seem to be behind the times of our neighbours to the south. (YES neighBOURS not neighBORS, politically correct humour, kinda my thing)

Ya those dunlops arent the quitest tires around, i try to avoid dunlops if possible (unless star spec 2's )
5th gear was grinding slightly and I saw that it was R&R so i went in and got it done.

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/qu...c828a.jpg.html

These are universals. A buddy of mine at work mentioned that I check to make sure they were "re-installed correctly" which Im not sure if they can even be...
Old 03-09-2015, 11:55 PM   #33
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT86 View Post
maybe your front shocks are blown? have you tried putting back on your stock wheels/tires and see if you still have all the same issues?
I really hope they arent... and I sold my stock wheels to a local who was returning to stock for trade in.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #34
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Can you post the tire specs? Name, Brand, size? Would help in the forum diagnosis..lol

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #35
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
IIRC the driveshaft will come out as a complete unit, the splines/bolts are before and after all the universal joints so unless they disassembled the shaft itself, I wouldn't think the shaft phasing/clocking would have been change at all. I could be wrong, if the pic linked above is from a BRZ then it is a 2 piece shaft, and the forward joint might need to be reclocked. If there's no deflection coming from the transmission case to the carrier bearing, then the universal joint clocking shouldn't matter. that clocking only matters when the shaft input and output are not always/ever in axis.

I'd be curious to find out whats causing the vibration, may be related to tire wear, may not. You could get the car up on jackstands and spin the rear wheels in 1st/2nd, or the fronts by hand to see of something is obviously out of round. Swap to another set of wheels to see if it goes away. Also while its up, try to wobble the wheels with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock to rule out bearing or joint failure.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #36
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Can you post the tire specs? Name, Brand, size? Would help in the forum diagnosis..lol
They are the stock wheels and tires from a 2013 WRX so 235/45/17 dunlops.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #37
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
IIRC the driveshaft will come out as a complete unit, the splines/bolts are before and after all the universal joints so unless they disassembled the shaft itself, I wouldn't think the shaft phasing/clocking would have been change at all. I could be wrong, if the pic linked above is from a BRZ then it is a 2 piece shaft, and the forward joint might need to be reclocked. If there's no deflection coming from the transmission case to the carrier bearing, then the universal joint clocking shouldn't matter. that clocking only matters when the shaft input and output are not always/ever in axis.

I'd be curious to find out whats causing the vibration, may be related to tire wear, may not. You could get the car up on jackstands and spin the rear wheels in 1st/2nd, or the fronts by hand to see of something is obviously out of round. Swap to another set of wheels to see if it goes away. Also while its up, try to wobble the wheels with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock to rule out bearing or joint failure.
Yeah i thought i might try that when I have a day off... And no that drive shaft was just a picture to show what I was talking about when it came to the universal.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:16 AM   #38
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Stock tires for the twins are 215/45/17, so going to a 235/45/17 setup without changing alignment is asking for bad tire wear. Its both a taller and wider tire.

As for your vibration - too many variables changing. Most likely tire related but who knows.

You got 2 new tires? Consider getting 4. Also consider buying the "right" size for your car.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 AM   #39
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
Stock tires for the twins are 215/45/17, so going to a 235/45/17 setup without changing alignment is asking for bad tire wear. Its both a taller and wider tire.

As for your vibration - too many variables changing. Most likely tire related but who knows.

You got 2 new tires? Consider getting 4. Also consider buying the "right" size for your car.
Geez man, a little harsh? Changing tire size most certainly is not "asking for bad tire wear" and does not require a new alignment. 235 are only 2.8% taller and 20mm wider. That translates to about 3/8" taller diameter (3/16" taller radius, this is what matters mechanically), and less than a half inch on each side. Hardly a huge change. The wheel and tire are still pointing in the exact same direction.

The wheel alignment isn't dependent upon tire size until you get to extremes, which doesn't apply here. The new wheel and tire are still pointing in the exact same direction. The alignment numbers he had/has shouldn't create ANY abnormal wear after only 500 miles. I am still betting on the tires being worn more than he believed at first, especially if his friend's WRX was running more camber.

edit- And where on earth did you read that he only installed two wheels and tires?

I also have tires/wheels from a friends WRX; 225/45/17 that are on my car now and are wearing perfectly, no alignment necessary. I even had 20mm and 25mm spacers installed for a while, again no alignment necessary. A Tire Rack tech I spoke to recently says 225/45/17 is actually a recommended size for the 86 in their vehicle info database.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #40
zkv476

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Driveshaft is two piece, but the joint at the center carrier bearing is bolted together not slip-spline and there's no reason to disassemble the shaft swapping a trans (I did my third 2 weeks ago lol...), so you can rule that out unless it looks unbolted.

That's quite odd... Before I got rid of my stock tires and replaced them I installed coils and drove around not aligned for about 1000 miles and the tires weren't even that bad. The before settings weren't pretty either lol. I checked for rim bends once by putting the car on stands, starting the car, and letting the wheels spin freely on the car (obviously not fast lol) but if you do slowly ramp it up you can feel a vibration develop if is really out of balance or bent. It's also a good way to find out which one it is.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #41
FReSh
Dirt Trackin'

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Might want to check the control arm bushings to make sure they're in alright shape. Having them worn out could cause a vibration and some wonky tire wear...
Old 03-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #42
BobbyBlue86

I'm honestly going to chalk it up to me not inspecting them very well.... Everyone I have ever talked to says that the WRX's ABS eats the hell outta the inside of the tire. And upon inspection of his new tires, they look as if its true.

I checked everything and mechanically everything is fine.

As for the vibration, I think its just the new tires "feel" that im getting used to.... And I do believe that when I replace the older front tires it will all go away.