follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #29
LeftFootBrake

Drives: White 86 GTS AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy86 View Post
Hey LeftFootBrake, Thanks for the write up, I'm curious what was your RPM at on the freeway doing 110? in 6th gear of course?
Damn, I feel bad not being able to answer but didn't pay attention. Something to report back on for next time I suppose.

...oh, and just a related btw, the info display doesn't tell you what gear you're in whilst transmission mode in D, only when in manual mode I think.

(And thanks for the kind words.)
LeftFootBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #30
LeftFootBrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
I prefer the gear stick up/down shifting. It's feels seriously solid when you do it. Better than the Lexus IS250 and my old 08 Lancer.
Totally agree the stick shift has a really good feel to it. Pity they got the direction the wrong way round but I anticipate (1) sticking to the paddles when I stop worrying about keeping it in the low to mid RPM range and (2) someone telling us how to swap the direction hopefully without too much fuss.

On another input feel matter, the brake pedal is pretty nicely weighted (perhaps a bit too soft for me but too early to call). But definitely much, much, much better than the over-assisted-throw-you-through-the-windscreen light touch craziness you find in a Golf R32, for example.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #31
jonnyboy

Drives: GTS 86 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFootBrake View Post
Totally agree the stick shift has a really good feel to it. Pity they got the direction the wrong way round but I anticipate (1) sticking to the paddles when I stop worrying about keeping it in the low to mid RPM range and (2) someone telling us how to swap the direction hopefully without too much fuss.

On another input feel matter, the brake pedal is pretty nicely weighted (perhaps a bit too soft for me but too early to call). But definitely much, much, much better than the over-assisted-throw-you-through-the-windscreen light touch craziness you find in a Golf R32, for example.
Hi LeftFootBrake, I also do feel the brakes are a little soft, and it has shorter travel than my cooper S, its good to know that I am not alone. I was thinking if it might get better as the brakes bed in?
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #32
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for looking under the car. I guess I'd have to wait until mine arrives to check.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #33
LeftFootBrake

Re: attempting to test sound quality between USB and bluetooth sources, turns out that the USB audio source option isn't even appearing for me. I've submitted a request for community help over in the electronics section: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9655
Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #34
Matthung

Drives: BMW X1 and FT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hey leftfootbrake, what's wrong with your USB ? Mine is a problem... The folders aren't coming up properly .....
Matthung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #35
LeftFootBrake

Update...

The driving so far:
- Total Distance. ~800km. Since last update most of the km's have been Sydney to Kangaroo Valley via Macquarie Pass and back.
- Engine speeds. Very relaxed. I've set the rev indicator to 4000 revs and keeping it below that for the run-in.
- Transmission mode. Sport mode in the twisties. Hardly used the flappy paddles.
- Nannies. All on (trac/vsc).
- Handling limit exploration. Not much but have had the traction control step in a couple of times in the twisties on slightly wet tarmac.

Update on the good:
- Fuel economy. Here's the record: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/86gtsat/86. Not run in and she's at 7.5. Keeping the revs out of the high power band and in the "torque dip" region seems to mean good economy (which is what happens when you run her in via the book). Will be interested to watch how this evolves when I explore more of the firewall with my right foot after run-in.
- Wipers. Brilliantly effective and very quiet. No complaints. Way better than those found on a 2004 Mazda 3 SP23, although that's not hard.
- Climate control air and heat warmers. Both do exactly as you hope. Only very slight issue for some might be that sensitive dial means it's a little tricky if you just want to tune half a degree.

Update on the not so good:
- USB audio system issue (discussed elsewhere). Haven't explored this further so can't close this out yet, sorry. I can say that if you plug your iphone in via a cable before turning it on you get both ipod and bluetooth options but I haven't properly explored sound differences between both. Sorry.
- Touch screen audio designed for LHD without any form of haptic feedback or steering wheel controls. Continue to be dismayed by this. Want whoever was responsible to be given a paddling.

The undecided list:
- Seat recline / headrest intrusion. I generally like to sit upright. As has been discussed elsewhere this means the headrests can feel like they are pushing your head forward into an uncomfortable position. Raising the headrest to its highest position seems to help a little. I'm still to explore different recline positions and/or turning the headrest around (like intended when wearing a helmet).
- Blind spots. So far relying heavily on both rear and side mirrors. Not sure I've worked out the perfect seat position for reducing A/side-mirror and C Pillar intrusion. Haven't tried the SAE technique yet.
- Sport mode does not seem as aggressive as I may have expected but then I haven't given her a boot full, so I can imagine the engineers back at HQ wouldn't have programmed her for this combination, so far too early to call. Have had her downshift nicely when doing some heavier braking (haven't come close to any form of threshold braking, though). But I'll be using manual paddle only after run-in, so this mode is probably somewhat redundant for me, anyway.

Answers to questions:
- Revs at actual 110 (approx. indicated 120): ~2400.

You may have noted I'm not commenting on driving dynamics yet. That'll continue to be the case until I'm both past run-in and feeling more confident with her general characteristics and have the nannies off. And don't know when that will be, sorry.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LeftFootBrake For This Useful Post:
click_lenny (06-28-2012), FT86_Zero (06-25-2012), JiB (06-25-2012), Nardi330 (06-25-2012), sticky (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #36
Nardi330

thanks for your update.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #37
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFootBrake View Post

LMAO! reminds me of the time I drove my cousin's MY11 Golf GTi with Brembo brakes. i just gently tapped it and my cousin yelled at me "DON'T TAP THE BRAKES THAT HARD!" i'm like "DUDE! i hardly pressed it down, i just gently tapped it..." HAHA! Thank god that the 86 brakes aren't that sensitive.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #38
Nardi330

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey90 View Post
LMAO! reminds me of the time I drove my cousin's MY11 Golf GTi with Brembo brakes. i just gently tapped it and my cousin yelled at me "DON'T TAP THE BRAKES THAT HARD!" i'm like "DUDE! i hardly pressed it down, i just gently tapped it..." HAHA! Thank god that the 86 brakes aren't that sensitive.
all VW (or VAG cars) have overly sensitive brake servo!!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #39
LeftFootBrake

Update 3: Total Distance travelled is now ~1,100km. 1k service makeover tomorrow.

Summary: It just gets better.

Updates:
- Seat position. Today I experimented with the highest seat height position (I'm 5"10' but still have plenty of roof clearance), before moving the longitudinal location so as to maximise contact between thighs and seat when feet are able to properly operate pedals, and setting the recline angle to maximise head position comfort. I then tuned the wheel position so that my wrists fell comfortably on its top when my shoulders were relaxed but still pressed nicely back against the seat. This technique has gotten me to the best setup for me so far. Will fine tune around this going forward.
- SAE mirror style. Also experimented with this and I like it, but I have simrace-tuned situational awareness, so not sure if it would be for everyone right away.
- Driving dynamics. With increasing understanding I've pushed a bit more in some of the faster 80-100 bends. Really nice to feel confidence inspiring roll-free front-end bite on turn-in and then good mid-corner neutral balance. This brings me to the concept of "sense of speed". It a sense, it called be described as a sense of G-force. This car gives you that sense in the bends, not the straights. It's only when you're balancing it around a quick bend and you're pressed against the shoulder of your seat whilst gently tuning your line with the precise and nicely weighted wheel that you get it. Together, this means it's brilliant fun when it's in the twisties and nicely comfy toddling along in the city or the highway.
- Fuel cap. I know for some of you this category is like wtf, but it's all the little details of the design of this car that come together. And the fuel cap is very easy to both remove, attach to the door and then twist back on. And fiddling around with a cap is the last thing anyone wants to be struggling with whilst in a cold, wet servo after an enjoyable day out. Thank you Tadasan for this kind of attention to detail.
- Sydney eTags. And for anyone interested in having to attach these, I noticed today that it still registered despite being located in the centre console. Don't hold me responsible if you don't get the same results but just thought you may be interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftFootBrake For This Useful Post:
os86 (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #40
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
thanks for the update, and with the seating position that is what i did when i went for a test drive! found it nice and comfy.

Since you are above 1000km, what is it like to take it above 4000rpm? does it feel like it comes alive!?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #41
LeftFootBrake

Cheers mate. Break-in period is 1000m/1600k, so not there yet, alas.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #42
LeftFootBrake

For anyone interested, the current (and any future) updates on my particular USB issue can be found here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=7