follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #29
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quick update:

Took a datalog today on the way back to the office from Chipotle. After 3 more days (~200 miles) of driving on E60, you can see that no additional LTFT has been done. In other words, all the learning that the ECU did in the last 200 miles of running E60 (instead of E85) was done within the first few miles after leaving the gas station. And at no time (even during that first WOT run before learning) did the car feel "out of tune". It hasn't felt anything less than perfect since adding gasoline to my E85 tank.

Still goes to show that it's not necessary to be concerned about ethanol % variance in E85. The ECU will handle things effectively and quickly. And without the having to add any more hardware (flexfuel sensor kit) or custom code.

Link to log:
http://datazap.me/u/shivvishnu/stage...3-days-driving

Full log:

Partial log:
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
alexand3r (12-17-2013), DAEMANO (12-17-2013), djdnz (12-16-2013), jamesm (12-16-2013), krulux (12-17-2013), pcguru2000 (05-04-2018), Superhatch (08-27-2014)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #30
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Quick update:

Took a datalog today on the way back to the office from Chipotle. After 3 more days (~200 miles) of driving on E60, you can see that no additional LTFT has been done. In other words, all the learning that the ECU did in the last 200 miles of running E60 (instead of E85) was done within the first few miles after leaving the gas station. And at no time (even during that first WOT run before learning) did the car feel "out of tune". It hasn't felt anything less than perfect since adding gasoline to my E85 tank.

Still goes to show that it's not necessary to be concerned about ethanol % variance in E85. The ECU will handle things effectively and quickly. And without the having to add any more hardware (flexfuel sensor kit) or custom code.
It's worth noting though, that lowering your ethanol % will improve fuel mileage. So if the car is getting all the knock protection it needs, and running the most timing it can with only around 100 octane requirements, then is there any reason you couldn't regularly run a 65/35 mix of e85/91? Assuming e10 gas, that gives you e58 and an effective octane of 100 even.

In "theory" you'd get a 12.5% improvement in fuel mileage over straight e85.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
RickyB

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I thought the whole reason for flex fuel was to make it easy to pull up to any pump and fill the tank with whatever was available without having to switch between a gasoline vs. an E85 map.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #32
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
I thought the whole reason for flex fuel was to make it easy to pull up to any pump and fill the tank with whatever was available without having to switch between a gasoline vs. an E85 map.
That is correct. But the purpose of this thread was in response to those who are now claiming that a flexfuel kit was necessary for those running exclusively on E85 due to the ethanol content variance that is typical from station to station and from season to season. The point of this thread was not to suggest that a static non-flexfuel tune can handle flexfuel duties. But rather that a static non-flexfuel tune can indeed handle even the widest reasonable ethanol variance found in pump E85

Last edited by Shiv@Openflash; 12-16-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (06-26-2019)
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
The proof is in the logs. I myself really wanted a full flex fuel setup, but the more I have seen the e85 tune being run from various members (with various setups, ethanol content, and temperatures), the more I am convinced a quality tune is all that is needed.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luckrider For This Useful Post:
danthedirt (12-18-2013), Drifter X (11-29-2019), jeebus (12-16-2013), Shiv@Openflash (12-16-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #34
R/T Tuning

Drives: 2013 ScionRacing FRS w/2AZ-FE swap
Quote:
lol thanks guys. I have a couple other pet peeves (ie, using Mustang dyno results to "calculate" Dynojet dyno results) but I think that's enough for today. But serious, is it really that hard to take the car to a Dynojet after you tune it to get actual authentic Dynojet results?
our take it to a shop that has both a mustang and dynojet like us

we had a bimmer here for some oulls running your flexfuel set up and tune, i forget the exact numbers somewhere in the mid 500's iirc...very cool
R/T Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #35
RickyB

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
That is correct. But the purpose of this thread was in response to those who are now claiming that a flexfuel kit was necessary for those running exclusively on E85 due to the ethanol content variance that is typical from station to station and from season to season. The point of this thread was not to suggest that a static non-flexfuel tune can handle flexfuel duties. But rather that a static non-flexfuel tune can indeed handle even the widest reasonable ethanol variance found in pump E85
A conservative tune targeted to an 85% ethanol mixture should run the engine pretty well with any mixture between 60% and 95% (give or take) since the lambda changes are well within the authority range of the closed loop system. The only area where it will not function as well as a true flex fuel system is in the cold start domain. The reason for this is that below 50F, the ethanol is basically useless and only the gasoline fraction plays a role in starting. This means that from E60-E95 you are dealing with gasoline content in the 40% to 5% range, which is an 8:1 variation . Essentially, you will need about 8 times as much cranking fuel to start the car cold on E95 as you will on E60. Lambda sensors don't work unless the engine is already running, so on cold cranking without a flex fuel sensor, the ECU is running blind.

A non-flex tune will probably be set up to expect 65-75% ethanol below 50F since that is your average winter mix across most of the nation. With higher ethanol mixtures, the engine will probably start, but take much longer or many tries before it does. If the tune is set up to expect 85-90% ethanol, it may easily flood the engine, again requiring longer cranking times and more retries to successfully start.

Is a flex fuel sensor absolutely required to run E85? No. Is a flex fuel sensor always a waste of money? Not if you have the electronics and tune to properly use it and you value the flexibility of never having to worry about what's in the tank enough to offset their cost. It's a personal choice.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #36
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
i've never tuned a flex-fuel system, as i'm not a real tuner. i'm just a nerd, and they don't let us nerds play with the cool toys (edit: i guess they do now). to me though it just doesn't seem like a great idea unless you have lots and lots of time to dial it in.

it's like electronic boost control. it's a wonderful idea. solves all of our problems. it's automagical! but then, it isn't. it's a bitch to tune, you have spiking and creep and tailing and all sorts of stuff to deal with that you don't have with an mbc. i'm sure it could be great, but in 99% of the installations i've seen, the user would've had better boost control with a cheap ball and spring. keep it simple...

in the same way, ethanol content analyzers are great. you can adjust boost and timing and fuel by eca, it's automagical! except i'm sure it's not. someone has to tune the thing. and if past experience (and that of the collective internets) is any indication, getting a car tuned right via email is hard enough just getting the basics right.

one perfect example: a buddy of mine has flex-fuel (i won't name names). his tuner accidentally mixed up the boost maps, so he was running 16psi on pump and 10 on e85. Not great for long-term reliability. this can't happen with an mbc. sometimes, manual human intervention is a good thing. he's running a hallman pro and loving it now, fwiw.

the other risk is that people will assume that because they have flex fuel and a 'good tuner', they've got nothing to worry about. that's insanity. of course you do. have you read other people's logs? there are people driving around with very, very bad tunes who either don't know enough to realize it or just have blind faith that their email-buddy will keep everything together for them. there are people driving around in tuned cars that don't even own a cable to log with, and vendors promote this practice! this also is insanity. blind faith is not warranted here. 'trust but verify' as they say.

point is, some view flexfuel as a 'fool-proof' way to run various blends of e85 without having to do boring tuner-y stuff like log and tweak maps. but the truth is nothing is fool-proof, and e-tunes generally suck big donkey balls even without the added complication of flex fuel. by adding it, that's one more thing your tuner has to get right. in my experience, it's unlikely that they will. so in any case, you're back to reviewing logs. or you remain oblivious and just take whatever comes your way. kinda like before you bought the flex fuel setup lol.

Last edited by jamesm; 12-17-2013 at 02:40 PM.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
alexand3r (12-17-2013), bfrank1972 (12-17-2013), jeebus (12-17-2013), s2d4 (12-17-2013), shr133 (12-30-2017), Sportsguy83 (12-17-2013), vgi (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #37
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
i've never tuned a flex-fuel system, as i'm not a real tuner. i'm just a nerd, and they don't let us nerds play with the cool toys. to me though it just doesn't seem like a great idea unless you have lots and lots of time to dial it in.

it's like electronic boost control. it's a wonderful idea. solves all of our problems. it's automagical! but then, it isn't. it's a bitch to tune, you have spiking and creep and tailing and all sorts of stuff to deal with that you don't have with an mbc. i'm sure it could be great, but in 99% of the installations i've seen, the user would've had better boost control with a cheap ball and spring. keep it simple...

in the same way, ethanol content analyzers are great. you can adjust boost and timing and fuel by eca, it's automagical! except i'm sure it's not. someone has to tune the thing. and if past experience (and that of the collective internets) is any indication, getting a car tuned right via email is hard enough just getting the basics right.

one perfect example: a buddy of mine had flex-fuel (i won't name names). his tuner accidentally mixed up the boost maps, so he was running 16psi on pump and 10 on e85. Not great for long-term reliability. this can't happen with an mbc. sometimes, manual human intervention is a good thing. he's running a hallman pro and loving it now, fwiw.

the other risk is that people will assume that because they have flex fuel and a 'good tuner', they've got nothing to worry about. that's insanity. of course you do. have you read other people's logs? there are people driving around with very, very bad tunes who either don't know enough to realize it or just have blind faith that their email-buddy will keep everything together for them. there are people driving around in tuned cars that don't even own a cable to log with, and vendors promote this practice! this also is insanity. blind faith is not warranted here.

point is, some view flexfuel as a 'fool-proof' way to run various blends of e85 without having to do boring tuner-y stuff like log and tweak maps. but the truth is nothing is fool-proof, and e-tunes generally suck big donkey balls even without the added complication of flex fuel. by adding it, that's one more thing your tuner has to get right. in my experience, it's unlikely that they will. so in any case, you're back to reviewing logs. or you remain oblivious and just take whatever comes your way. kinda like before you bought the flex fuel setup lol.
I think flex fuel is cool, but seeing how flexible the ECU is makes me think it's not worth tapping into my factory fuel system. We've seen in many different posts how not doing that properly can go HORRIBLY wrong.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #38
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
i've never tuned a flex-fuel system, as i'm not a real tuner. i'm just a nerd, and they don't let us nerds play with the cool toys. to me though it just doesn't seem like a great idea unless you have lots and lots of time to dial it in.

one perfect example: a buddy of mine had flex-fuel (i won't name names). his tuner accidentally mixed up the boost maps, so he was running 16psi on pump and 10 on e85. Not great for long-term reliability. this can't happen with an mbc. sometimes, manual human intervention is a good thing. he's running a hallman pro and loving it now, fwiw.

the other risk is that people will assume that because they have flex fuel and a 'good tuner', they've got nothing to worry about. that's insanity. of course you do. have you read other people's logs? there are people driving around with very, very bad tunes who either don't know enough to realize it or just have blind faith that their email-buddy will keep everything together for them. there are people driving around in tuned cars that don't even own a cable to log with, and vendors promote this practice! this also is insanity. blind faith is not warranted here. 'trust but verify' as they say.

C'mon you amateur tuner, logging is for pussies.
I had my car dyno tuned by a master tuner and it looks good.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s2d4 For This Useful Post:
jamesm (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #39
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
speaking of flex fuel...I just swapped back to 91 from e85 for the first time since I went e85. I got my tank down to 45 miles past the fuel light, filled up, drove 1.5 miles slowly and started seeing my trims go rich rich rich...parked and shut car off. Flashed gas map. Started up and saw my trims lean lean lean...let idle for 2 mins and watched trims clean up. Drove slowly for 1/2 mile...got on freeway and watched trims fix themselves over the next 15 miles. Trims look perfecto now.

So yeah, if you don't want to do that you need flex fuel. I don't mind it.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #40
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
there are people driving around with very, very bad tunes who either don't know enough to realize it or just have blind faith that their email-buddy will keep everything together for them.
some of them don't drive anymore. at least not their brz/frs.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vgi For This Useful Post:
jamesm (12-17-2013), s2d4 (12-17-2013), SkullWorks (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #41
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSFirestorm View Post
I've always understood however that AFR's while running methanol/ethanol fuels should be somewhat richer? Which tuning and commanded AFR's won't account for since tuned to run regular fuels?
The air/fuel sensor doesn't care what the stoichiometric ratio of your fuel is, it only cares about lambda. Lambda = 1 is always stoichio., whether you're running gasoline at 14.7:1 or pure methanol at 6.8:1 (IIRC). As long as your fuel system has the capacity to supply the required amount of fuel, the ECM will adjust fuel trims to reach that point in closed loop.

That's obviously an unrealistically extreme example, but hopefully it makes sense.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew20195 For This Useful Post:
FRSFirestorm (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #42
garfull

Drives: FRS(sold), AP2, R35, FJC, ED9
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Great point! Just wanted to add for e85 stoichiometric ratio would be 9.7:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew20195 View Post
The air/fuel sensor doesn't care what the stoichiometric ratio of your fuel is, it only cares about lambda. Lambda = 1 is always stoichio., whether you're running gasoline at 14.7:1 or pure methanol at 6.8:1 (IIRC). As long as your fuel system has the capacity to supply the required amount of fuel, the ECM will adjust fuel trims to reach that point in closed loop.

That's obviously an unrealistically extreme example, but hopefully it makes sense.

Last edited by garfull; 12-18-2013 at 12:26 AM.
garfull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e85 flexfuel, shiv 2016