follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
It's a more streetable application.
yes i realize that i was just wondering what aside from the dust boots make it more streetable, or what makes the competition kits less streetable.

@JRitt thanks for the info and definitely looking forward to more details. didn't want to seem impatient or anything, i have no problem waiting until you guys get the details all figured out as i still need to buy the car.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #30
ft86-UAE
turbo FT-86

Drives: ft-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
please PM Me when the kit will be available
ft86-UAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #31
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,383 Times in 4,137 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
@JRitt
Slight ambiguity: "The Endurance and Sprint Competition Systems will not clear the stock wheels" and "Both of the Competition systems (Endurance and Sprint) will fit under 17" wheels".
Can you tell me if the Sprint System will fit under 17x7.5 RPF1s? Could you tell us what pads are available for the Sprint System?
Thanks.

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 07-26-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #32
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
They make rpf1s in 17x7.5? I thought they were 8" wide. And they should fit. Stock sti bbs wheels fit over the kit and rpf1s fit over the stock sti brakes so there's a good chance anyway...
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #33
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
They make rpf1s in 17x7.5? I thought they were 8" wide. And they should fit. Stock sti bbs wheels fit over the kit and rpf1s fit over the stock sti brakes so there's a good chance anyway...
RPF1 17x7.5 are 48mm offset , the 8s are 45mm.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #34
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Hmmmm. Well those probably won't fit. But you want the 17x8s anyway, right? Those are ideal for a 225 or 235.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #35
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
But you want the 17x8s anyway, right?
I was tending towards the 7.5s.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #36
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
@JRitt thanks for the info and definitely looking forward to more details. didn't want to seem impatient or anything, i have no problem waiting until you guys get the details all figured out as i still need to buy the car.
No worries at all.

Quote:
please PM Me when the kit will be available
I'll circle back and check this thread when the kits are available. If anyone else is interested in being put on our mailing list, you can email me. I will be sending out updates as we move forward on all of these brake products (and other products). We have a lot of great stuff in development.

Quote:
@JRitt
Slight ambiguity: "The Endurance and Sprint Competition Systems will not clear the stock wheels" and "Both of the Competition systems (Endurance and Sprint) will fit under 17" wheels".
Can you tell me if the Sprint System will fit under 17x7.5 RPF1s? Could you tell us what pads are available for the Sprint System?
Thanks.
Sorry for the confusion. Neither Competition Kit will fit the OEM 17's. They will both fit many aftermarket 17's however. I went back and modified my post. We will be publishing wheel fitment templates for people to check fitment as soon as we do our test fit and confirm that there won't be any changes to the hardware. I will also be building a database of wheels that will fit each kit, and they'll be published on our website.

As for the 17x7.5" RPF1's, I may have a better idea if they'll fit on Monday. Our 17x8's will probably be here today or tomorrow. I'll see how much extra spoke clearance there is, and we can likely get a feel for if the 7.5's will clear.

The four piston front and rear Formula kit's are specifically being designed to clear the OEM 17"s. If you plan on running stock wheels, they will be tough to beat.

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
MSTiFK8R (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #37
MSTiFK8R

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Jeff, thanks for the wisest approach to performance brake upgrades ever !

As you pay so much attention to the brake bias (front to rear), would it result in different piston sizes for the front calipers in the cases:

1) AP front, stock rear
2) AP front, AP rear

I mean, if I buy AP fronts from your offer, keeping my stock rears to make some test-drives - would it mean I have to reconsider pistons (or whatever) in me fronts, when I decide to upgrade rears also to keep the right brake balance?
MSTiFK8R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSTiFK8R For This Useful Post:
msile (07-27-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #38
JRitt

Quote:
Could you tell us what pads are available for the Sprint System?
One of the great things about the Sprint and Endurance systems are the huge range of pad choice. They use what is commonly referred to as the Wilwood Bridge-bolt Superlite shape (in 20mm thickness). You can see a drawing of the Hawk version here. This shape is available in just about every pad compound under the sun from all of the major manufacturers. Hawk's part# is HB521.800, so you should be able to cross reference that with your favorite pad manufacturer.

Below are the compounds we offer, but there are many, many others out there.

For the Sprint system, you'll need to stick with a pad that has a radial depth of 43mm or less (I'll pull together a blog post on this that clarifies a bit).

AP Racing S100
AP Racing C300
CL Brakes RC8
CL Brakes RC6
Ferodo DS2500 (D41 radial depth)
Ferodo DS3000 (D41 radial depth)
Ferodo DS1.11 (D41 radial depth)
Hawk DTC-05
Hawk DTC-70
Hawk DTC-60
Hawk DTC-30
Hawk HT-10
Hawk HP+
Hawk Black
Hawk MT-4

With the Endurance system you can run all of the pads above, but you also have the opportunity to run a D50 radial depth pad, as the swept area on the CP3908 disc is larger/taller than it is on the CP3862 used in the Sprint system. The taller radial depth will give you greater pad volume, which is inline with the Endurance concept. That means potentially longer pad life, as the larger pad volume offers a greater heat sink. We have a handful of excellent options in the D50 radial depth:

AP Racing S100 (D50)
AP Racing C300 (D50)
Ferodo DS2500 (D50, tall radial depth for more pad volume)
Ferodo DS3000 (D50, tall radial depth for more pad volume)
Ferodo DS1.11 (D50, tall radial depth for more pad volume)

In summary, you have an enormous range of pad options with the Sprint system. Just about every major pad manufacturer has something that will work. The pads are 20mm thick, and will last a very long time. Also, the price on this particular pad shape is very low since it is so common. That means low consumable costs as you wear through pads on the track. The Endurance system allows you to run all of the same pads as the Sprint system, but also allows you to run a pad with a slightly larger volume. That makes sense if you're running very long sessions, need greater heat capacity, etc.

I'll get some pics and further explanation up on this soon, which should make it clearer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-26-2012), normancw (02-03-2014)
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #39
JRitt

Quote:
As you pay so much attention to the brake bias (front to rear), would it result in different piston sizes for the front calipers in the cases:

1) AP front, stock rear
2) AP front, AP rear

I mean, if I buy AP fronts from your offer, keeping my stock rears to make some test-drives - would it mean I have to reconsider pistons (or whatever) in me fronts, when I decide to upgrade rears also to keep the right brake balance?
Thanks MSTiFK8R.
  1. All of the front Competition and Formula kits will be designed to maintain proper brake bias with the OEM rear setup. The piston sizes and disc diameters will allow you to bolt them up without any ABS issues, etc. It will be a bolt-on, seamless affair.
  2. The rear Formula kit will be designed to work properly with the two front Formula kits. It will mimic the OEM rear setup. If you bought a front Formula Kit and wanted to add a rear later as budget allowed, that wouldn't be a problem at all.
  3. We are currently evaluating a rear Competition kit. When we do produce one, it will also mimic the OEM rear setup, so you'll be able to add it on later without any issues.
So no, you should not have any fear of buying a front kit and not having it work if/when you upgrade the rears. It's quite common for people to buy the fronts then add the rears later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
cyde01 (07-26-2012), MSTiFK8R (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #40
francosolracer

Drives: 13'FRS,10 TC(trad),09'370z(totaled)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Pm me when you have final prices I'm keeping my stock wheels I like them but I don't like how the brake calipers looks the stock ones

Last edited by francosolracer; 08-01-2012 at 08:25 PM.
francosolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
thebear21

Drives: scion fr-s (RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hmm i want these now!! haha when are they going to be fully available? any different colors?
thebear21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #42
JRitt

Quote:
Pm me when you have final prices I'm keeping my stock wheels I like them but I don't like how the brake calipers looks...
Will do...Yes, I wouldn't exactly call the stock brakes particularly attractive.

Quote:
hmm i want these now!! haha when are they going to be fully available? any different colors?
I'd estimate roughly 8 weeks before all of these systems are available...some sooner. We are considering a special pre-order offer if people are interested.

The calipers in the Sprint and Endurance Competition Systems are anodized gray with a yellow AP Racing logo. They are very neutral and look good on just about any color car.

The Formula Systems will be available in Red, Black, and Silver. I'll post sample pics as soon as I have them.