follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2015, 07:03 AM   #393
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
There are only 6 gears.... we need a dash indicator to tell someone using (hopefully correctly) a MT what gear s/he is in? I'm sure anyone who has been driving with a MT for any length of time knows by sheer intuition -- by the orientation of the shifter -- what gear is engaged.

IF someone is new to MT.. then get in the car and obtain, "...length of time..." with your rig so you can keep your eyes on the road and not the dashboard.
As Ive said before G on off is there to gain more economy shifts. Thats the only reason it is there. I think if you shift withen the set pattern, you will get up to 34mpg. Its pretty annoying trying to shift on that tiny little arrow
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #394
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
As Ive said before G on off is there to gain more economy shifts. Thats the only reason it is there. I think if you shift withen the set pattern, you will get up to 34mpg. Its pretty annoying trying to shift on that tiny little arrow

After 30k mile I just ignore it, the car drives like it's gonna die if you follow that shift light thing... >.>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
tCsonfrs (07-26-2016)
Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #395
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
After 30k mile I just ignore it, the car drives like it's gonna die if you follow that shift light thing... >.>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meh I use it in slow moving(but not stationary) traffic and when I feel like confusing people by stretching the 1st and then shifiting to 6th within the next two seconds
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #396
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I dunno.. maybe it's the musician in me .. but the sound of the motor compared to the speed I'm going tells me what gear I'm in. Don't need to touch the gearshift, look at it, or look at the digital display to tell me. I had it on for a while just 'cause it was there and wanted to use it 'cause I paid for it when I bought the car. After a few days, I got sick of it and shut it off again.

Want economy? Upshift earlier, don't tromp on the gas, but don't let the engine lug or struggle in too high a gear when climbing uphill or trying to accelerate. Want performance? Step on it, and don't upshift until you get over 6500 rpm. Want a compromise between the two? Figure it out.

FWIW.. the "upshift" indications, at least to me, are too early to drive safely even if you're going for the best economy. You NEED to be able to accelerate in an emergency, and those indicators have up upshifting so low in the gear ranges that stepping on the gas strongly in a newly-engaged gear will result in lugging the engine and that's about it.

Just my opinion..

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:19 AM   #397
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
That would suck having some crappy 75mph warning LOL. Thats the legal speed limits of most the freeways I drive here lol. I would hate that and I would find away to get rid of it or by pass it. WTF 75mph, thats normal cruise speed on the way to work
We have 80 and 85 mph speed limits on some of the roads here in Texas. The cops don't even bother patrolling 130 from Austin to Seguin. The only time you see a cop out there is when somebody has a fatal collision with a feral hog.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
pcporo (12-26-2015)
Old 05-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #398
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I'll try and remember, it was like seat belt ding disabling, a bunch of other safety beeps and buzzers, auto lock on exit disabl/enable, how long the lights stay on, how the defroster works (like when it turns on with a/c), Daytime running light on/off, how sensitive things will turn on at, stuff like that. Keep in mind this will work for most if not all scion, lexus, toyota, vw, audi and soon bmw vehicles, it's a one time payment for customization on those vehicles and all future ones I joined the beta group just to be able to send debug info in on my corolla so they can perfect that one too.

A late bump on this thread to see if this app is able to recalibrate the thermostat for the in-dash thermometer? I've relocated mind due to a front mount intercooler and this seems like a cost-effective means to accomplish this
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #399
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,616 Times in 18,979 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonty View Post
A late bump on this thread to see if this app is able to recalibrate the thermostat for the in-dash thermometer? I've relocated mind due to a front mount intercooler and this seems like a cost-effective means to accomplish this
Is yours off? I don't think it's a good idea to mount it anywhere it will feel heated air.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #400
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Is yours off? I don't think it's a good idea to mount it anywhere it will feel heated air.
It has been relocated, but reads about 12-14 degrees on the high side. I understand through techstream I would be able to recalibrate it

Last edited by Jmonty; 05-07-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #401
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
It has been relocated, but reads about 12-14 degrees on the high side. I understand through techstream I would be able to recalibrate it
But with a static offset, it will only be accurate in the conditions for which you calibrated it. Meh, I see your point. Maybe I'm being anal about it.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #402
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But with a static offset, it will only be accurate in the conditions for which you calibrated it. Meh, I see your point. Maybe I'm being anal about it.

Carista won't be able to add a correction value but techstream will, although it may be best to find a bit of a better mounting point first, on hot days closer to the ground is going to read a higher value, it really should be in front of the inter cooler and radiator if possible and slightly higher up.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #403
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Carista won't be able to add a correction value but techstream will, although it may be best to find a bit of a better mounting point first, on hot days closer to the ground is going to read a higher value, it really should be in front of the inter cooler and radiator if possible and slightly higher up.
I've wondered in the past if i could move it to the airbox.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #404
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
I've wondered in the past if i could move it to the airbox.
I see no problem with that, in front of the filter near the snorkel
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #405
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
I see no problem with that, in front of the filter near the snorkel
Yeah, exactly there. Great minds?
Old 05-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #406
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Does this qualify on this thread as an hidden feature? I found a loose screw in my air-filter box. Lucky it didn't get any further into the engine.

Last edited by notout86; 05-08-2016 at 11:15 PM.
notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scion brz hidden features