follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2015, 02:10 AM   #379
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshayan View Post
Hey man, have you thought of getting SSP's valvebody upgrade? Shifts look good but could be tightened up a bit
Yes I am planning to. I'm just waiting for the clutch packs to come out also. So I'll just open the tranny once.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
chiefshayan (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 02:13 AM   #380
Tye300

AT Cooler review and Touge Battle (2-14-15)

AT Cooler review and Touge Battle (2-14-15)

Driving around town, the ATF temps hover around 90-100C, which usually mimics the engine oil temp. The ATF takes longer to recover compared to the oil temp in stop and go traffic.

On my way to the track, this was the first time driving in a highway setting with lots of airflow, which would tell me if the AT cooler's placement is right or wrong. Driving on the highway, it was 26C out, oil temps stabilized at 76C and ATF at 80C.
With good front airflow, I can see the temps recover faster, so I guess the AT cooler location gets some airflow too. I'm sure if I had mounted the cooler at the front would be better, but this works just fine too.

I joined touge battle this weekend to test the cooler in a track setting. The last time I tracked the car I had this weird experience of not being able to rev past 6000rpm. I hope the AT cooler remedies this.

The Touge battle layout did not use the whole track, as they were sharing the track with the national drag race series, that means I could not replicate the last setting I had.

[ame]http://youtu.be/UUhwgju1aog[/ame]

Even with the short setting, it was still a fun event, with more entries and competitive cars.

[ame]http://youtu.be/HV8miGC0Zbc[/ame]

During my runs, ATF temps leveled off at 90C and stayed there, recovery was good during the cool down laps. The car ran fine the whole event, showing no safeguards. Overall, I think the AT cooler was effective enough to cool the ATF when getting good enough frontal airflow. Looks like I'm sticking with this setup.

Thank you to Autokozmetix, Titanworks, Vic of Achilles tires @victorb, and Fuel!

Last edited by Tye300; 03-05-2015 at 10:59 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
10Stars (02-19-2015), avishenoy1 (08-21-2015), Joe-G (01-03-2016), Lonewolf (02-21-2015), pcuerpo (02-27-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #381
victorb
Banned

Drives: Black 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Congratulations tye on the touge battle! Lots of new mods which will never end; atleast you always have something to do. Sagad na Sagad talaga!

Good thing no more noise on the SMR pads!
victorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #382
Tye300

Garage Vary Intake Duct (3-5-15)

Garage Vary Intake Duct (3-5-15)

I ordered this part about a month ago thinking it would arrive in time for me to test out during the Touge Battle. It turns out that this part is made to order by Garage Vary and it takes 3 weeks to make and a week to ship. I ordered it through RHDjapan.com.

The kit comes with a FRP duct specifically molded to the ZN6 bumper, an FRP snorkel, instructions, template, and some screws for a complete install.

The intake duct I ordered was the FRP one, because I wanted it to blend in with the bumper, unlike the carbon fiber one which would draw a lot more attention. It is finished in a kind of gel coat which makes it a lot more easy to prep for paint.

Here is a shot of the duct after painting:

Here's a closer look of the snorkel:

I used to have a Max Racing intake duct when my car was still NA. It seemed to perform good because I monitored the intake air temp compared to ambient temp, and the delta would always be around 5-7C.

Installing the Vortech, I went back to the dinky stock snorkel and I have always wondered if it was a bottleneck for the supercharger.
Perusing some JDM magazines, I saw the Garage Vary Intake duct. I liked how the duct is to one side, and looked purpose built for a track machine JDM style. So here is how I installed the duct.

The kit comes with a template, printed on a wax/tracing type of paper, so you can see through the paper and align the lines better. A lovely idea for sure, but even though the paper was translucent, I still had trouble lining up the lines. What I did was copy the template and print it on paper and cut out the lines. It was a lot easier to line up and mark the cutting area. I used a wax pencil to mark the cutting lines.

By this time I took the bumper off, mainly to avoid drilling into the bumper support or my AT cooler hoses. With the bumper off, I took the stock snorkel off and installed the Garage Vary one.

I couldn't get a good pic of the snorkel, so here's a pic from RHDjapan.com:

Here's a comparison of the snorkels:

I used a drill to cut into the bumper, starting around the corners and finishing with the straight lines. The bumper itself is pretty easy to cut using the drill, you just have to work slowly.

I finished the cut lines with a file to further clean up the hole.

At this point I installed the duct by peeling the double sided tape and secured the duct by screwing the self tapping screws from the back of the bumper. After that I just buttoned everything up.

Finished product:

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
canyons (07-05-2016), Efferalgan (03-14-2015), Hyper4mance2k (11-27-2015), Martinnangel (03-29-2015), Nofiboy (03-07-2017), Ny Brz (03-30-2015), pcuerpo (03-09-2015), raven1231 (03-29-2015), saj (05-01-2016), XCO (03-16-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #383
Tye300

Whiteline Roll Center Correction Kit (3-20-15)

I'm back to finishing up strengthening the suspension of my car. I've been curious about the roll center correction kit since my car is lowered in the range where whiteline says their kit would be functioning the best. Installing this kit will complete the front end suspension mods.

The kit consists of two tie rod ends, and two ball joints. The difference is in the ball joints which are substantially higher than the stock ones, which in turn corrects the suspension geometry back to the zone where it can combat front roll better.

My current set up already has several components that does this, like the larger front sway bar, and several whiteline bushings. The kit will be the final touch in fighting front end roll.

In my opinion, this mod will benefit the auto-x participant more than the track participant because auto-x has more tighter turns and slaloms in their events than larger tracks. Turn in improvement will noticed more in auto-x I think.

I went back to Fixstop in Quezon City for the install and alignment. The install was pretty straightforward, remove the lower control arms, press the ball joint in, replace the stock tie rod, reinstall the LCA. The install took around four hours.

Alignment-wise, I used their suspension guru Testsuya-san's track specs. Camber was negative 2.5 degrees in front with 0 toe, and -1.5 deg with 0 toe at the rear.

I'll have the chance to test it out this week during the next leg of Touge Battle in Clark International Speedway, I will have a proper review on this kit then.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #384
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Beautiful car! How you liking the vortech ? Thinking about getting it myself
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Tye300 (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #385
Tye300

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Beautiful car! How you liking the vortech ? Thinking about getting it myself
I like it very much. The stock 9psi pulley was fun, but with 3.125 and E85, it's a beast! Maintenance wise, it's pretty easy to manage, I have broken a belt once in around 15,000kms and a lot of trackdays.
raven1231 (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #386
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye300 View Post
I like it very much. The stock 9psi pulley was fun, but with 3.125 and E85, it's a beast! Maintenance wise, it's pretty easy to manage, I have broken a belt once in around 15,000kms and a lot of trackdays.
Good to hear! main reason I'm leaning towards supercharger is reliability of the kit/maintenance. I have very easy access to E85 and would love to see this thing with the bigger pulley and E85
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #387
Tye300

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Good to hear! main reason I'm leaning towards supercharger is reliability of the kit/maintenance. I have very easy access to E85 and would love to see this thing with the bigger pulley and E85
Go for it! Once you go E85, you wont want to go back to pump!
raven1231 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 11:57 PM   #388
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
How are you liking the intake duct? Do you see any potential issues with rain?
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:08 AM   #389
Tye300

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
How are you liking the intake duct? Do you see any potential issues with rain?
Duct works great on the upper range of the RPM band. I did not notice any improvement down low. I does lower the intake air temps significantly, to the point of just 3 degrees higher than ambient. In open air, it's the same as ambient.
With water, I don't think it could suck in a significant amount of water to hydrolock the engine. I'll have a report on it after my trackday.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #390
Tye300

Whiteline Roll Center Correction Kit and Garage Vary Intake Duct Review (4-1-15)

I recently installed the Garage Vary intake duct and the Whiteline roll center correction kit, and here are my impressions on both.

First off, the Garage Vary intake duct. This piece is top notch. I've had it on the car for a few weeks now, and the fit and finish has held up from daily driving. It's summertime here in Manila now, and the temps have been rising.

The adhesive has held up well, and the screws have held well also.

Performance-wise, the duct has done it's job, as I have been taking notes of my intake air temp compared to the ambient. The delta usually is around 3-5C when moving, and around 10-15C when stationary in traffic. Temps cool down fast when the car is moving, and that is it from my observation. Powerwise, I could not see the difference driving around town.

I did notice an improvement during some WOT runs in the upper rpm range. It seems that it helps the engine breathe better in the upper rpm range because of the wider duct compared to the small stock snorkel.

In track settings though, the duct made a big difference. It helps the engine ingest air and I never felt any drop off in performance due to heat soak. You can feel the engine lose power when the ecu pulls timing when heat soak sets in, but with the duct, I never felt it.
Overall a great mod for the trackrat, but for daily driving, you can do without it.

Now to the Whiteline kit. Same with the duct, I could not feel a difference in slow speeds. I could sense a better response during turn in, but that was it.

[IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k89/tyroneongpauco/***BFD06-C305-4068-AC43-0C496D9433A5_zpscayk917y.jpg[/IMG]

In track settings, same as the duct, it made a world of difference! Turn-in was more precise and responsive, and I could definitely feel the front end was more flat and planted the whole day. It made the car more pleasing to drive around the corners and inspired a lot more confidence. I was able to throttle on earlier in corners and attack the turns aggresively.

[ame]http://youtu.be/8bhREgM4J_U[/ame]

If you don't track your car, you might not feel the full benefits, but correcting the geometry when lowered will be a plus.
On a side note, with the mods, I set the fastest time in qualifiying. Almost four seconds from the field! (Car number 860)

I had a major mishap at Touge Battle though, as my right front and rear wheels cracked some spokes. I have never been a wheel snob before and really thought that the forged and cast wheel argument was just for marketing. I never really thought that I would experience this firsthand. I have been using these advan replica wheels for my trackdays for almost two years now. They have held up well up to this race. CIS has more high speed left turns than right turns and this may have contributed to the damage.

As a result, I had an early retirement from the race, and had to change wheels so I could drive the car home. Any day you drive the car home from the track is a good day. Thank God for protecting me from harm. It could have been a lot worse.

As a public service announcement, please do not use replica cast wheels for tracking. They will break, and may cause you your life on the track. I will be searching for proper forged wheels for track from now on.

Last edited by Tye300; 04-01-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Kiske (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #391
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Wow, you got very lucky the wheel held out, could have been a total disaster lap!

Interesting notes on the garage vary intake, have you had a chance to see if any moisture gets back to the filter element during wet weather driving?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:34 AM   #392
Tye300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Wow, you got very lucky the wheel held out, could have been a total disaster lap!

Interesting notes on the garage vary intake, have you had a chance to see if any moisture gets back to the filter element during wet weather driving?
Very lucky indeed! It's summer here now, so rain is scarce. I'll report back for a long term review on it when there is rain. I'm curious on that also.