follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #38515
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Base 8 is superior for humans, one can easily count to 24 (yes, that's base 10…) with the digits on two average hands.
Octal? Please explain.

A friend of mine once argued we should be using base-6 for many reasons, one being we could use each hand for a digit and thus count to 35d with two hands.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 01-10-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 PM   #38516
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,361 Times in 8,668 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
Octal? Please explain.

A friend of mine once argued we should be using base-6 for many reasons, one being we could use each hand for a digit and thus count to 35d with two hands.
Base 5.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #38517
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,955 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I know, I just took it as an excuse to rant on one of my many hangups.

Now, anyone care to debate the superiority of the metric system or the importance of backwards compatibility in information storage formats?
Because I've got hangups on those, too.
Not really ...... all I have to remember is what day of the week it is ......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #38518
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Base 5.
No, base-6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senary explains it better than I could:
"Each regular human hand may be said to have six unambiguous positions; a fist, one finger (or thumb) extended, two, three, four and then all five extended.
If the right hand is used to represent a unit, and the left to represent the 'sixes', it becomes possible for one person to represent the values from zero to 55senary (35decimal) with their fingers, rather than the usual ten obtained in standard finger counting. e.g. if three fingers are extended on the left hand and four on the right, 34senary is represented. This is equivalent to 3 × 6 + 4 which is 22decimal.
Which hand is used for the 'sixes' and which the units is down to preference on the part of the counter, however when viewed from the counter's perspective, using the left hand as the most significant digit correlates with the written representation of the same senary number. Flipping the 'sixes' hand around to its backside may help to further disambiguate which hand represents the 'sixes' and which represents the units.
"
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #38519
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Quote:
No, base-6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senary explains it better than I could:
"Each regular human hand may be said to have six unambiguous positions; a fist, one finger (or thumb) extended, two, three, four and then all five extended.
If the right hand is used to represent a unit, and the left to represent the 'sixes', it becomes possible for one person to represent the values from zero to 55senary (35decimal) with their fingers, rather than the usual ten obtained in standard finger counting. e.g. if three fingers are extended on the left hand and four on the right, 34senary is represented. This is equivalent to 3 × 6 + 4 which is 22decimal.
Which hand is used for the 'sixes' and which the units is down to preference on the part of the counter, however when viewed from the counter's perspective, using the left hand as the most significant digit correlates with the written representation of the same senary number. Flipping the 'sixes' hand around to its backside may help to further disambiguate which hand represents the 'sixes' and which represents the units.
"
So the difference is what we call "1"
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #38520
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
Stop lying, you know you rely on your pillbox for that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #38521
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Stop lying, you know you rely on your pillbox for that!
Well, ya ....... that's fine, if I remember to take my pills ......

humfrz
Old 01-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #38522
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:

humfrz
Oh, that's tricky! It keeps changing all the time!

Here I was, almost getting used to it being Wednesday already and all of a sudden it's Thursday.

All I know at this point is that I haven't slept since Tuesday or thereabouts, and my caffeine levels are dropping fast.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #38523
humfrz

Quote:
Oh, that's tricky! It keeps changing all the time!

Here I was, almost getting used to it being Wednesday already and all of a sudden it's Thursday.

All I know at this point is that I haven't slept since Tuesday or thereabouts, and my caffeine levels are dropping fast.
Well now ....... to quote you "I know, I just took it as an excuse to rant on one of my many hangups."....... I reckon your biological clock is all whacked out ......if you even have one anymore ...... ....... because you have been thinking on this "time expression" thing too damn hard.

My biological clock gets reset once a week on Friday ...... because that's trash day..... and I know when that is because all the neighbors put out their trash cans.

That "set point" triggers me to not only to put out the trash, but to fill up my med container ...... which lasts till the next Friday. The med container has the days of the week marked on it.

So, all you have to do is find a "set point".

Got it..??

humfrz

PS - you may find this helpful, if you don't have a regular trash service.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 AM   #38524
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:
Well now ....... to quote you "I know, I just took it as an excuse to rant on one of my many hangups."....... I reckon your biological clock is all whacked out ......if you even have one anymore ...... ....... because you have been thinking on this "time expression" thing too damn hard.

My biological clock gets reset once a week on Friday ...... because that's trash day..... and I know when that is because all the neighbors put out their trash cans.

That "set point" triggers me to not only to put out the trash, but to fill up my med container ...... which lasts till the next Friday. The med container has the days of the week marked on it.

So, all you have to do is find a "set point".

Got it..??

humfrz

PS - you may find this helpful, if you don't have a regular trash service.
Yup... Completely whacked out.

My circadian rhythm is playing a particularly funky sort of acid jazz these days.

That "set point" thing sounds like good advice, I'll just have to find the time...
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #38525
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wow, someone is in a mood

No... I am hinting that the AM/PM system is very antiquated and somewhat local.
Simply that being fluent in any specific language should not be required to read a date.Then at least let's agree to use the month and the date in a standardized order.

The "+01:00" in that example indicates the time zone offset as reference to UTC, previously known as GMT, often referred to as "Zulu time" by military forces in NATO aligned countries.
This makes it possible to see what the given time will be in any time zone around the globe.THEN DON'T USE THE DECIMAL FRACTIONS! THEY ARE OPTIONAL!

The STANDARD is still ISO8601, these are suggestions for use of the standard.
This document is regarded as a defacto standard, as previously stated, and widely used.

And no to the image, it should be 07-04 :-)

LOL I didn't understand why you thought I was in a mood and reread what I wrote three times before I figured it out!

I either didn't write but thought I did or deleted during editing one simple sentence that changes the whole theme, meaning and tone of my post. Even though the original intent is sort of indicated at the end of the post the missing sentence will completely change how the whole thing reads.

It should have read:

Although indeed very old the use of the 24 hour clock is neither antiquated nor local. What is at all difficult about understanding there are 24 hours in a day with midnight as the jump off point. What you attached is based on the 24 hour clock and seems seems perfectly innocent at first but then goes sideways fast. I can already hear the complaints of 99% of the world population if they tried to put this in place for everything:

Etc.

My comments were supposed to be sarcastic to those that would not get it not my own thoughts on the matter. The comment about metric and the picture at the end should make more sense now as well.
Dadhawk (01-11-2018), Sarlacc (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #38526
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,986 Times in 11,397 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wow, someone is in a mood
The discussion between @Tcoat and you reminds me of the old debate over whether email addresses should be SMTP or X400 based.

X400 was much more robust and descriptive but you had to be an expert to decipher them and never mind remembering them to send an email to someone without an address book.

Example: X.400 – C=US;A=GMAIL ;P=LetsExchange;O=First Organization;S=DadHawk;G=Sir;

(That's a basic example, but there are two dozen or so possible fields)

SMTP, the version that won out, is, well, easy and gets the mail there.

I will say though that as an IT dude programmers who insist on using local time rather than GMT when storing dates is the bane of my existence. Very large multimillion dollar applications in the Healthcare industry can't deal with time zones.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (01-11-2018), Tcoat (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #38527
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL I didn't understand why you thought I was in a mood and reread what I wrote three times before I figured it out!
ROFL
That clear things up. I read your post several times, too; and it just didn't sound like a typical Tcoat post. Hence the conclusion: "mood".

Meanwhile, I've had a nap and something to eat besides black coffee, so my quite real mood has changed dramatically.
And so has the landscape outside. It has snowed so much I'll have to go out and try to fire up the old snow blower for the first time in 2 years.
It'll be quite interesting to see if the thing still runs. It's a two-stage Snapper with a 500cc Briggs&Stratton, so there's hope I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #38528
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Clearly it wasn't shovel snow. What did you do?

I'm a tenant, not my responsibility. For what it's worth, the lot was snowblowed yesterday. The guy did a piss poor job. If I did that at home, pops would have said "you're not done, go back out and finish with a shovel"
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis