follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 02-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #3389
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Should be fine. I recommend jsut going to radioshack and checking out what they have.
I'll do that, but reluctantly. In the radioshacks around here it seems that all the electronic parts have been pushed to a small corner in the back, and you get crap from the sales people for looking/buying anything that isn't cellphone related.

unpluged the back of the cig lighter in the glove box. I think some spade terminals/sockets, wires, and some epoxy and I can make an adapter that will fit in between, but the prongs may not be a standard size. really need to get the one out of the center console to work with.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #3390
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
I'll do that, but reluctantly. In the radioshacks around here it seems that all the electronic parts have been pushed to a small corner in the back, and you get crap from the sales people for looking/buying anything that isn't cellphone related.

unpluged the back of the cig lighter in the glove box. I think some spade terminals/sockets, wires, and some epoxy and I can make an adapter that will fit in between, but the prongs may not be a standard size. really need to get the one out of the center console to work with.

Just snag a tap for the cigarette lighter in the glove box. And just head to drawer system at RadioShack. The good thing is the employees don't know shit about what's in the drawers and they leave you alone.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #3391
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll do that, but reluctantly. In the radioshacks around here it seems that all the electronic parts have been pushed to a small corner in the back, and you get crap from the sales people for looking/buying anything that isn't cellphone related..
I was about to give the same rant. Today's Radio Shack is a far cry from late 80's Radio Shack. Used to be filled with certified geeks and nerds. Not anymore.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #3392
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Surely the production version ESC doesn't require you to remember to turn it off very time you shut the engine down or add a relay so it doesn't drain the battery. That would be ridiculous.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #3393
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS14 View Post
I was about to give the same rant. Today's Radio Shack is a far cry from late 80's Radio Shack. Used to be filled with certified geeks and nerds. Not anymore.

As someone who used to work there during college ... yes this is true.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
SloS14 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #3394
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Surely the production version ESC doesn't require you to remember to turn it off very time you shut the engine down or add a relay so it doesn't drain the battery. That would be ridiculous.
I like the option to turn the power off to the unit... You can shut it down on the highway if you want or at any other time.

Its a part of my ritual, turn on car, turn on lights, disable traction control, arm ecs and go. I don't know its extremely easy to remember.

Plus if anything were to happen to the unit it would be nice to have a kill switch...say if the wot switch got stuck open or something like that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #3395
Thatruth2001

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I do the exact same routine 99% of the time until last night. I was on my mobile phone and forgot to turn the unit off. The good thing is if you need a jump use the old battery!
Thatruth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #3396
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
I do the exact same routine 99% of the time until last night. I was on my mobile phone and forgot to turn the unit off. The good thing is if you need a jump use the old battery!

I like the relay. It removes the guessing out of it. Plus when I need to reflash the cars computer I can make sure not to drain the battery by turning off the esc manually.

Installed Mods:
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #3397
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Sojhinn: Just snag a tap for the cigarette lighter in the glove box. And just head to drawer system at RadioShack. The good thing is the employees don't know shit about what's in the drawers and they leave you alone.

I'll look, but I still got to tap off the other one for the traction override switch/relay: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...49#post1091849
If I can get it to work with the blade terminals/sockets I will only have to splice into 1 factory wire.

Fast_Freddy: Surely the production version ESC doesn't require you to remember to turn it off very time you shut the engine down or add a relay so it doesn't drain the battery. That would be ridiculous.

It works, and it keeps costs low for the kit.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #3398
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Sojhinn: Just snag a tap for the cigarette lighter in the glove box. And just head to drawer system at RadioShack. The good thing is the employees don't know shit about what's in the drawers and they leave you alone.

I'll look, but I still got to tap off the other one for the traction override switch/relay: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...49#post1091849
If I can get it to work with the blade terminals/sockets I will only have to splice into 1 factory wire.

Fast_Freddy: Surely the production version ESC doesn't require you to remember to turn it off very time you shut the engine down or add a relay so it doesn't drain the battery. That would be ridiculous.

Yeah you can utilize the same tap but seems kinda crazy to route your lead that far. But if you want to keep your factory taps to minimum just tap into the same wire. I will say the glove box tap was really easy since it is so close to the firewall.

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-07-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #3399
silent runner

Drives: 93'Camry, 82'Corolla, 76' Celica
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm a spoiled "beta tester". Today, I went out around and totally destroyed a 5.7L, V-8 Toyota Tundra Pick-up that was diddling around in the merge lane in one of our local free-way style roads at 35mph. Kind of like trying to step out into traffic going 30mph on a city street with only a few feet in between the traffic... He, with 1/2 mile of merge lane remaining, decided to pull onto the freeway at 35mph. I held my right foot down and smoked past him like he was standing still, never interupting the traffic flow, and causing any problems. He on the other hand, only decide to hit it when I did, but I still washed by him like he was driving an old VW diesel, and caused a hole lot of people to have to smack their brakes and cause issues. I would have been caught in that little fray if I couldn't safely merge around him into the flow of traffic.

I love my beta Phantomcharger! A new safety device for good drivers.
This was at -24, on the celcius scale by the way, and evrything is still running perfectly!

My congratulations to Rob on becoming an official vendor on this sight, you guys have worked long and hard to do the tech, to measure and test it, and finally to make it accessible to us. This is going to be a revolution in power modding technology like nothing we have ever seen before. I hope my little piece will add some fun to another segment of this revolution!

3.0L24v Camry
silent runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silent runner For This Useful Post:
Boxer486 (02-06-2014), DAEMANO (02-06-2014), normancw (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #3400
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
When you add the relay you still have the option to turn the unit off with the switch on the led.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #3401
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
When you add the relay you still have the option to turn the unit off with the switch on the led.
That's true I never thought about that lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 AM   #3402
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
I like the option to turn the power off to the unit... You can shut it down on the highway if you want or at any other time.

Its a part of my ritual, turn on car, turn on lights, disable traction control, arm ecs and go. I don't know its extremely easy to remember.

Plus if anything were to happen to the unit it would be nice to have a kill switch...say if the wot switch got stuck open or something like that.

You can do all that with the relay installed and still start your car the next day if you ever forget to turn it off. I'm just surprised that the final production kit still contains this flaw.

Quote:

At over $2000 with batteries and a tune, who cares about $5 for a relay?
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive