follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #309
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
What is this flex fuel kit everyone is talking about (i.e. E85)?
They are coming out with a flexfuel kit that will allow you to run e85/93 without the need to adjust the tune. I plan on running it when it's available, especially during autoX days
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #310
ScionFrsFan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Anything new coming out anytime soon?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #311
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When are the fuel maps available in their finality across all options?
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #312
Unichip Jack

Drives: E36 M3, Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
We’ve been working on the Fuel In//Fuel Out maps and will post them as soon as they’re ready… hopefully this week…

We're also working on some instructions and "guidance" about making prudent selections since we've been fielding a lot of questions...

The other projects are moving along nicely...

Cheers
Attached Images

Unichip Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unichip Jack For This Useful Post:
ScionFrsFan (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #313
ScionFrsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unichip Jack View Post
We’ve been working on the Fuel In//Fuel Out maps and will post them as soon as they’re ready… hopefully this week…

We're also working on some instructions and "guidance" about making prudent selections since we've been fielding a lot of questions...

The other projects are moving along nicely...

Cheers
Good I want more stuff to play with!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #314
funbeatsfast

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Unichip Jack;659225]Can the Unichip raise the rev limiter, absolutely. Does our FT86 kit raise it, not currently. Will it in the future, maybe. What’s up with that? We’re a pretty conservative company and believe that being able to do something doesn’t mean you should.

Other tuners are having good results with this. The two big ones on this forum, notably. Thinking about it, UniChip likely can't raise a redline at all. If all the product does is change the data input into the ECU, it can't make the ECU do something it wasn't programmed for. So I call BS. The more I read the more I suspect UniChip isn't the bargain we were all hoping for. Bummer for me - I like to go fast on the cheap.
funbeatsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #315
ScionFrsFan

[quote=funbeatsfast;717774]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unichip Jack View Post
Can the Unichip raise the rev limiter, absolutely. Does our FT86 kit raise it, not currently. Will it in the future, maybe. What’s up with that? We’re a pretty conservative company and believe that being able to do something doesn’t mean you should.

Other tuners are having good results with this. The two big ones on this forum, notably. Thinking about it, UniChip likely can't raise a redline at all. If all the product does is change the data input into the ECU, it can't make the ECU do something it wasn't programmed for. So I call BS. The more I read the more I suspect UniChip isn't the bargain we were all hoping for. Bummer for me - I like to go fast on the cheap.
Just bc other tuners are... doesn't mean there isn't risk in doing it. Don't call them a liar bc they haven't decided to do it.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #316
funbeatsfast

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Of course there's a risk. There is a risk associated with any tuning - electrical or mechanical. Driving a stock vehicle hard can break things. We should all move forward under that assumption.

I asked the question almost a month ago, their answer was kinda sketchy. But, UniChip is a successful company and I wanted to believe. So I put some thought and research in before I fired back.
Quote from http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...v-limiter.html

"Well, I decided to contact them, namely their GM Jack Friedman. I have several emails from him over the past couple of years, and he has always been very prompt with his responses, and thoughtful in his replies. Today was no different as I heard back from him within a couple of hours. And this is what he had to say:

Tony,

Thanks for the inquiry. Raising the rev limiter requires an additional board to change the ECU’s clock speed and can be done, although we never explored that option on the MINI because it involves a “detectable” modification to the vehicle which is not our PnP objective. It’s a similar footprint to reflashing the ECU which can be detected even after the ECU has been flashed back to stock. It also won’t provide as much of a performance gain as most guys think (the difference between torque and bhp or force and work) unless it’s extended by a significant amount and the head/cam are modified to allow the engine to breath quicker at the higher rpms.

None the less, if it’s something the community really wants, we can take a look at it in our PnP kits. Assuming (since we haven’t looked at it in any depth to date) the circuitry is accessible on the ECU board (could be buried a couple of layers down in a multiple layer board) the option may already exist for people with the kits on their cars by going to a Unichip Custom Tuner who can do the custom installation/tune for them

Cheers,

Jack"

I can post more examples if necessary.
So, the UniChip "Plug and Play" can't. On any vehicle. You can pay more money for extra parts that can - maybe. If they figure it out. Parts which they failed to mention when answering the question.

Last edited by funbeatsfast; 02-07-2013 at 01:26 AM.
funbeatsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #317
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Have you seen a dyno? Why would you want to raise the rev limiter? It's extra wear with no extra power. I assume with the right cam and tuning you could make more up top, but I doubt many people are going down that path.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #318
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
don't feed the troll you guys
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bakerr6 For This Useful Post:
ScionFrsFan (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #319
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Trolls aside... can someone verify the statement about the ECU clock being a bottleneck?

9000 rpm --> 150 rotations per second --> 5.4 kHz pip rate on a 36 tooth trigger wheel

If a Bosch ECU runs at 16 MHz or higher Link to VolvoSpeed, that's 2000+ 16 bit instructions per pip.

Obviously the bandwidth of the system gets clogged at fast speeds... but there should be plenty of overhead built in. Even if open-loop commands get slightly behind, you just tune a bit more conservatively.

Speculation: The risk of bad press from blown up engines is significantly higher than the reward of new sales generated by big dyno numbers. Unichip gets to call the shots about anything with their name on it, and it's just not a worthwhile investment (yet) for all the development hurdles... even if the hardware could technically handle it.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #320
Unichip Jack

Drives: E36 M3, Whiteout FR-S
I thought I logged into the wrong forum… and an old forum at that. While I don’t recall that particular conversation, it has nothing to do with the FT86 and little to do with our current capabilities.

Car types are often different, and often require a different approach to raise the rev limiter. Here’s a link to a YouTube video of a Honda Jazz with the Unichip raising the rev limiter to 7300 rpm (and removing the road speed limiter)…

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buS3InKD18U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buS3InKD18U[/ame]

Everything used in that application is PnP.

Here’s another one of a FJ Cruiser going way past redline and road speed limiter with the Unichip…

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6TdmTTEomA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6TdmTTEomA[/ame]

Not everything in that application is PnP.

What do a Honda Jazz or an FJ Cruiser have to do with the FT86? Not much, just like the MINI being discussed in that old post. There are lots of vehicles – of all types – using the Unichip to raise their rev limiters… we’ve been doing it for more than a decade. Some of them are PnP, others aren’t… none of that has anything to do with your FR-S/BRZ/86.

We choose features based on a number of factors including reliability, ease of fitment, safety, cost, etc… as I said previously in this forum, the rev limiter is one of the things we’re looking at on the FT86 and while the current kit does not change it, it may in the future.

Shankenstein… one way of rasing a rev limiter is by working with the OE ECU’s clock (FJ video) but that’s not a PnP solution. In the other approaches, the clock is irrelevant.

Nothing “sketchy” We’re not just building tunes, we’re also doing development, and development takes time. As I’ve said previously, we won’t sell something before it’s ready and if we don’t believe something should be sold, we won’t.

So, back to the FT86…

All of the Fuel In/Fuel Out 92 Octane maps are complete and the 89 Octane maps should be done today. As soon as they are, we’ll zip them and post them to the online data base for you guys to play with.

We’re still awaiting the next batch of intakes but have been told they’re on the way… Vigilant, AEM, and FA20 Club. As soon as the maps are built and tested, we’ll get them added to the data base as well.

Cheers
Unichip Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unichip Jack For This Useful Post:
GavinAnt (02-07-2013), industrial (02-07-2013), Shankenstein (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #321
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Kewl.
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #322
ScionFrsFan

lol I was waiting for jack to respond and he sure did!