follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #32089
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
pretty sure someone quoted me for something besides the Giulia thread can't figure out the second quote. How goes all tonight? : )
Pretty good so far but it is bed time.
Zaku (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #32090
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Can somebody translate this?

Looks like $100 bucks toilet bowl cleaner from STI.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #32091
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Pretty good so far but it is bed time.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sH4aLgJ3DM"]Family Guy - Cloud Attack - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #32092
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Question for general RT:

Anyone here ever took a job for a bit less pay but really good benefits and awesome work-life balance?

Got offer letter today. Will be working hours that'll allow me to study for industry certs again and go back to school to finish degree. I'll get paid to get certs if I pass. Quarterly performance cash bonuses and good retirement account plan. They showed me around and looks like a good place to work overall.

Only issue is base pay is less than where I'm at right now, which delays my near term plan of buying a house for a while.

Been talking to a few people and they said this could be a fresh start for career and jump start in different direction. Just wanted more perspectives before I sign the offer letter.

(Yes, this is a good first world issue to have and surely beats being unemployed, which I will be in 2 weeks.)
The Twins make me smile
Old 05-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #32093
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Question for general RT:

Anyone here ever took a job for a bit less pay but really good benefits and awesome work-life balance?
My friend did just that late last year and is still loving it. It also cured her chronic headache problem which no doctor could figure out prior.

Quote:
Only issue is base pay is less than where I'm at right now, which delays my near term plan of buying a house for a while.
No real estate bubble and hot mainland money to compete with over there?

Quote:
(Yes, this is a good first world issue to have and surely beats being unemployed, which I will be in 2 weeks.)
Looks like you got nothing to lose. Could be quite refreshing actually doing something totally different.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #32094
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
My friend did just that late last year and is still loving it. It also cured her chronic headache problem which no doctor could figure out prior.

No real estate bubble and hot mainland money to compete with over there?

Looks like you got nothing to lose. Could be quite refreshing actually doing something totally different.
Yup, I am convinced the health issues I'm suffering from is from my long work hours (12 hours + nights). I'll be doing m-f, 9-6 with option to switch to different hours after probation period.

Unknown if there's a bubble here in Seattle. Prices are going through the roof and most definitely a sellers market. Crappy houses in bad neighborhoods are going for 300-400k, when they should be less than 200.

Most certainly be refreshing to work somewhere else doing something different-ish. CTO really did enjoy our conversation and liked what I bring to the table. 2.5 years in the industry most likely contributed to the lower offer (than I expected).
The Twins make me smile
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
krayzie (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #32095
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Yup, I am convinced the health issues I'm suffering from is from my long work hours (12 hours + nights). I'll be doing m-f, 9-6 with option to switch to different hours after probation period.

Unknown if there's a bubble here in Seattle. Prices are going through the roof and most definitely a sellers market. Crappy houses in bad neighborhoods are going for 300-400k, when they should be less than 200.

Most certainly be refreshing to work somewhere else doing something different-ish. CTO really did enjoy our conversation and liked what I bring to the table. 2.5 years in the industry most likely contributed to the lower offer (than I expected).
Build your resume. A job that makes you happy is worth more than a few bucks an hour and being miserable

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-31-2017), krayzie (05-30-2017), soulreapersteve (05-30-2017), Tcoat (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #32096
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Build your resume. A job that makes you happy is worth more than a few bucks an hour and being miserable

Good point!! I'll be much happier seeing daylight again and still got decades of work left..

Btw, hope your new place is treating you well! I recall you moved cities.
The Twins make me smile
Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #32097
Ashikabi

Quote:
Good point!! I'll be much happier seeing daylight again and still got decades of work left..

Btw, hope your new place is treating you well! I recall you moved cities.
Yes. The girlfriend received an offer too good to pass up in Omaha. Then some incredibly unfortunate circumstances blew that out of the water. Still moved to Omaha though. I like the new job fine but my old one was better financially. The gf just found work as a tool crib manager so things are looking up. Selling the house now, hopefully building this year. Hoping to make it to the track soon too. It's about 30-45 minutes away. Be even closer after we get new property

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #32098
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
2.5 years in the industry most likely contributed to the lower offer (than I expected).
Nah it could be just the nature of IT industry being as cheap as it is. Technically I've done a similar job to yours for almost 10 years but the sense I get from a few job interviews thus far is that they just don't want to pay a fair wage, unless it's a gov entity.

I'm doing a hard labor job right now that requires zero brain power compare to my old job (which I already think was easy AF for me anyway) but it feels miles better than sitting at home all day watching cat videos on YouTube.

I'm not getting much work right now either cuz one of our company's biggest clients decided to cancel most of their projects for the year. But my boss called me the other week and said since I've been getting some really good feedback (only worked 6 days since hired in Feb tho), that I will be considered for a 4 month project coming up soon working at a bank's data centers (again hard labor). Not bad as I wait for my next job interview opportunity...
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #32099
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Yes. The girlfriend received an offer too good to pass up in Omaha. Then some incredibly unfortunate circumstances blew that out of the water. Still moved to Omaha though. I like the new job fine but my old one was better financially. The gf just found work as a tool crib manager so things are looking up. Selling the house now, hopefully building this year. Hoping to make it to the track soon too. It's about 30-45 minutes away. Be even closer after we get new property

Looks like you are in a good spot! Hope to be there also in a few years, we shall see where my career is then and PNW housing prices.
The Twins make me smile
Old 05-30-2017, 11:13 PM   #32100
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Nah it could be just the nature of IT industry being as cheap as it is. Technically I've done a similar job to yours for almost 10 years but the sense I get from a few job interviews thus far is that they just don't want to pay a fair wage, unless it's a gov entity.

I'm doing a hard labor job right now that requires zero brain power compare to my old job (which I already think was easy AF for me anyway) but it feels miles better than sitting at home all day watching cat videos on YouTube.

I'm not getting much work right now either cuz one of our company's biggest clients decided to cancel most of their projects for the year. But my boss called me the other week and said since I've been getting some really good feedback (only worked 6 days since hired in Feb tho), that I will be considered for a 4 month project coming up soon working at a bank's data centers (again hard labor). Not bad as I wait for my next job interview opportunity...
Yeah, I have to remember I am easily replaceable by someone overseas.. also trying to stay humble recalling I was making minimum wage (pre 15 dollars) not too long ago either.
The Twins make me smile
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
krayzie (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:25 PM   #32101
Ashikabi

Quote:
Looks like you are in a good spot! Hope to be there also in a few years, we shall see where my career is then and PNW housing prices.
Date a cougar with grown kids and a house that's paid for. GG

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 11:27 PM   #32102
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Question for general RT:

Got offer letter today. Will be working hours that'll allow me to study for industry certs again and go back to school to finish degree. I'll get paid to get certs if I pass. Quarterly performance cash bonuses and good retirement account plan. They showed me around and looks like a good place to work overall.

Been talking to a few people and they said this could be a fresh start for career and jump start in different direction. Just wanted more perspectives before I sign the offer letter.

Is it fair pay (monetary equivalent benefits like health insurance and retirement match count, work life balance due not...here) for the work? Then heck yes, do it. The other benefits are what makes it gravy, but are honestly directed in the industry to be competitive. Also, have you negotiated at all?

Good health benefits, enough for comfort and a bit set aside, and a good life balance will make you wonder why you waited.

C
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
krayzie (05-30-2017), soulreapersteve (05-30-2017)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis