follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #281
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
PSG1 clone using a HK91. Well, a PTR 91 receiver.
A simple job of assembly if you have the parts.

The difficulty is any specialized tools required for assembly.

Sites like AR15.com, MILSURP.com, BROWNELLS etc. are a valuable asset.
I am a gunsmith but i still need the net to find stuff I require for builds.

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #282
pche
Guy on internet

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
PSG1 clone using a HK91. Well, a PTR 91 receiver.
That's an interesting project, I personally don't know much about HKs, a PSG1 would be bad ass. I actually had a HK91 at one point, great gun, but I had an offer I couldn't pass up and sold it.... Took the money and built a top shelf AR10 and had left overs for all kinds of accessories and ammo.
pche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #283
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
A simple job of assembly if you have the parts.

The difficulty is any specialized tools required for assembly.

Sites like AR15.com, MILSURP.com, BROWNELLS etc. are a valuable asset.
I am a gunsmith but i still need the net to find stuff I require for builds.

CERBERUS
That's what I was wondering. I don't know anything about guns, or building them. But this one site seems to sell everything so it seems simple enough to get the parts, all I would need is a smith/shop to do the gun. But I don't know if it really is so simple. Here's a list of what I had in mind, you tell me if it makes sense or if I'm crazy. I doubt that's all I would need. But for starters, I'm thinking that short list makes the most sense.

Receiver:
PTR 91 Receiver

Barrel:
PSG1 | barrel

Trigger Assembly:
PSG1 Trigger group

Stock:
Magpul PRS2 HK Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by pche View Post
That's an interesting project, I personally don't know much about HKs, a PSG1 would be bad ass. I actually had a HK91 at one point, great gun, but I had an offer I couldn't pass up and sold it.... Took the money and built a top shelf AR10 and had left overs for all kinds of accessories and ammo.
The PSG1 is awesome. But it's hard to find and people selling them want like 15k for them. I can't see myself ever paying that much. I doubt I'll be able to afford the clone, let alone the real one. But it's nice to think about and I consider the clone easier to accomplish.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #284
pche
Guy on internet

Quote:
The PSG1 is awesome. But it's hard to find and people selling them want like 15k for them. I can't see myself ever paying that much. I doubt I'll be able to afford the clone, let alone the real one. But it's nice to think about and I consider the clone easier to accomplish.
Although the PSG1 would top the chart in cool factor, it's hard to beat the AR platform in "bang for the buck" (pun intended). For the money you can build something that'll sling the 7.62 NATO way better than a PSG1 would. Just a thought
The Following User Says Thank You to pche For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #285
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Or sling even better rounds provided the upper reciever & recoil springs are sturdy enough.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #286
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
What would you guys recommend for a beginner's pistol? And.. around the 400-500 range.

I saw a rugar 1911 for 550 but not sure whether or not to bite...

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #287
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
What would you guys recommend for a beginner's pistol? And.. around the 400-500 range.

I'm an absolute huge fan of the Springfield XD and XDM series pistols. They can be had in that price range with great ergonomics, better accuracy than I can shoot, good application of passive safeties, excellent reliability, and a quality feel that I just don't get from other popular polymers (Glock, M&P, etc), which have a rattly, plasticky toy feeling. But that last one is just personal preference.

In California, if you want anything off-roster, like the XDM, you have to go through what is called Single Shot Exemption. Only a few gun stores are willing and able to do this, but luckily there are plenty of them in LA/OC and a few in SD as well.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cfusionpm For This Useful Post:
Giccin (05-11-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #288
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Although the PSG1 would top the chart in cool factor, it's hard to beat the AR platform in "bang for the buck" (pun intended). For the money you can build something that'll sling the 7.62 NATO way better than a PSG1 would. Just a thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Or sling even better rounds provided the upper reciever & recoil springs are sturdy enough.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.
So, here's where I could potentially annoy some people. Think of what a PSG1 looks like. That's what I'm after the most. I'm not saying, "As long as it looks good, I don't care if it's a crappy gun." No, I still want a good gun. But the good gun also still has to have that form.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #289
pche
Guy on internet

Quote:
So, here's where I could potentially annoy some people. Think of what a PSG1 looks like. That's what I'm after the most. I'm not saying, "As long as it looks good, I don't care if it's a crappy gun." No, I still want a good gun. But the good gun also still has to have that form.
Nah I hear ya man! PSG1 is a bad ass/super rare gun. I would love to have one myself if I have the means. There're plenty of guns that would out shoot it for half the price but they're just not nearly as cool and unique. And we all love the wow factor at the range when we whipe out something special
Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #290
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Nah I hear ya man! PSG1 is a bad ass/super rare gun. I would love to have one myself if I have the means. There're plenty of guns that would out shoot it for half the price but they're just not nearly as cool and unique. And we all love the wow factor at the range when we whipe out something special
Yeah, I'm just saying. I would rather have one. But way too expensive for me. So the next best thing is a gun that looks like it. A good example is something like this:

But even that is a pricey rifle from what I've seen. I'd rather build a clone PSG1 for that price. So it's a back and forth. PSG1 too expensive. Clone too expensive. Look alike too expensive. Rather have a clone for that price. Rather have either for cheaper! So I figured gun people could tell me more.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #291
pche
Guy on internet

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just saying. I would rather have one. But way too expensive for me. So the next best thing is a gun that looks like it. A good example is something like this:

But even that is a pricey rifle from what I've seen. I'd rather build a clone PSG1 for that price. So it's a back and forth. PSG1 too expensive. Clone too expensive. Look alike too expensive. Rather have a clone for that price. Rather have either for cheaper! So I figured gun people could tell me more.
I see, good luck man, hopefully someone more knowlegable than me would come along and help you out. Although I think you'll have better luck on a HK forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to pche For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #292
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:

You could acomplish about 90% of what you want by simply getting a PTR91 with the PRS stock and the wide front end. Mount an optic on top and there you go. I'm not an HK expert by any means (because I think all of their stuff is horribly over-priced), but the one thing that may be tough to change is the grip. Most HK rifles usually have the grip integrated into the receiver, but I have seen some separate.

Either way, your best budget-minded option would be that. It's not going to shoot like a PSG-1, but it's also not going to cost you five digits. A friend of mine has a PTR91 and I've shot it a few times. Very different bolt mechanism and very unique recoil impulse. It's not the most accurate thing in the world, but it's standard "battle rifle" accurate and plenty good fun. Probably as much as my M1A, which is about 3-4MOA with ball ammo. Maybe a little less with match ammo.

Rifle: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cfusionpm For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #293
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
That's what I was wondering. I don't know anything about guns, or building them. But this one site seems to sell everything so it seems simple enough to get the parts, all I would need is a smith/shop to do the gun. But I don't know if it really is so simple. Here's a list of what I had in mind, you tell me if it makes sense or if I'm crazy. I doubt that's all I would need. But for starters, I'm thinking that short list makes the most sense.

Receiver:
PTR 91 Receiver

Barrel:
PSG1 | barrel

Trigger Assembly:
PSG1 Trigger group

Stock:
Magpul PRS2 HK Stock

I personally think that HK platform is outdated and has been surpassed by many new designs which outperform it for far less money.
But if the look cool factor is worth it to you - GO FOR IT !

I fired a Sturmgewehr 44 full auto, lousy intermediate cartridge, horrible accuracy, tin can assembly (not forged) etc. but it was the most controllable full auto I have ever fired and the historical value of it is immeasurable.

I would sell my first born to have one !

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (05-11-2014), SirBrass (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #294
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post

If you want a .45 i would go for the Ruger sr1911 (For that price range). But personally i would get for a glock 19 or a Ruger sp101 in .357.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muaddib For This Useful Post:
Giccin (05-11-2014)