follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #15
babylobster

Drives: Firestorm Red 2013 Scion FR-S 6Spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If looking specifically for FRS info there are many, many good articles on line. Took me a good week of reading to get through just a few of them. Now some of them get pretty techy but a lot are well written for the layman to understand as well. This is probably a good place to start with the basics and allow you to develop further questions and plan out deeper research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It sounds like you want to start with the basics so once you come across something that peaks your interest you can get some more details from sites like Wikipedia. Say for example you read that the ideal camber for 18 inch tires is XYZ (keeping it basic here guys). I am pretty sure your first question would be "what the heck is camber?". Head off and check that out and once you get the concept then head back and see what the best set up would be for you.
Now, of course, you are never going to become a Master Tech this way but at least you will have a clue when on here and reading a topic.
Last word of advice would be that when on this (or any) forum take what some of the "experts" tell you and cross reference it someplace else or be sure you really trust the person's validity. For every bit of really good info there can and will be just as much really, really bad info. Just because somebody sounds like they know their stuff does not make it a fact (some of you guys know who I am referring to I am sure).
And... like Hunter Green said don't be afraid to ask questions but make sure you think them out before putting them in print or the results can be not pretty (i.e. My car smells weird. What is it?).
Yup, I figured why not start with the FR-S since I have one anyway. I'm a visual learner so I can just pop open the hood and dig around. Well, not literally but you know what I mean. And yes, I agree with double checking information unless it's coming from a legit source thanks for the advice!
babylobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
babylobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
All of the suggestions made so far are great, and reading can teach you a ton.
Quote:

What I would say is even more useful, especially when used in conjunction with reading up on the subject, is to join your local Toyobaru club and go to some meets and autocross events. You will learn a ton just listening to the conversations, and if you ever have questions or don't understand what they're talking about most people tend to be very friendly and willing to teach.

Welcome!
I've listened to a LOT of car talk but was completely lost because I didn't know basics or was with people who seemed like they would view me as dumb or wasting their time for asking basic questions so I remained silent lol.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #17
babylobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
The bit of advice I can give you from just starting out is focus on what interests you the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post

Are you more interested in how the suspension of your car works? The engine? Looks? Focus on one subject matter at a time. That way, you don't feel so overwhelmed. (;

I've been into the automotive scene for a long time. I'm constantly learning something new everyday, so don't ever feel like you're asking a dumb question!

Btw, welcome to the forum and congrats on the FR-S!
Thanks! She's a bit over a year old but is barely driven, only 2K miles! I'm also afraid to drive her around much because I'm in Queens, NY = lots of people that don't know what they're doing behind the wheel and CROWDED.

Right now, I would say I'm more interested in the wheels aspect of the car. There's so many styles out there and I'd love to get a set but it seems SUPER confusing with the measurements. I was also looking to lower the car a little but the problem with that right now is it won't be able to go up the driveway! Air bag suspension should be good for that? Is that what it's called? But then I hear it's really pricey. And then there's the aspect of where you go to get these parts, where can you get the best deals, etc. etc. etc. *brain explodes*
Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylobster View Post

I've listened to a LOT of car talk but was completely lost because I didn't know basics or was with people who seemed like they would view me as dumb or wasting their time for asking basic questions so I remained silent lol.
First of all, car talk is AMAZING whether you know about cars or not. I am one of those who will look at you like you're an idiot if you ask a stupid question, unless you preface it with "I'm completely new to this...". You started off on the right foot by asking how you can learn rather than "how do i get 300 wheel horse power?".

All suggestions above are great so I suggest you start your with the basics of internal combustion engines; suck, squeeze, bang, and blow...
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to that_one_guy For This Useful Post:
babylobster (12-02-2014), Shark_Bait88 (12-02-2014), strat61caster (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #19
babylobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
"we hardly know ourselves if we know nobody else", one of my favorite blue scholars lyrics that is one of my go-to aligning sentiments. Joining a car club will most certainly be a great step in the right direction!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post

This translates into learning and knowing about things, as well... knowledge of combustion engines, manual drivetrains, RWD applications, Forced Induction applications, etc... no matter the make or model... will enhance your perception of what the FRS is as a platform.

P.S. all the 'welcome to the forums' posts, when you're in essence a pretty early member! ha
Nobody's really coming out in this cold weather and I hate the cold too haha! Yes, I'm pretty new haven't been on this forum in awhile but it's one of the sites not blocked at my new job (thank goodness) so I guess I'll be spending a lot more time here now!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #20
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm going to change my profile picture to some hot girl and ask all these questions. Every single reply is very detailed and NICE!!!

I wonder what the responses were if the original poster was a guy...
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to frslee For This Useful Post:
babylobster (12-02-2014), civdaddy (12-02-2014), Cliu91 (12-02-2014), El Guapo (12-02-2014), FR-STY 86 (12-02-2014), Koa (12-02-2014), Pkush (12-02-2014), Scubaru (12-02-2014), Shark_Bait88 (12-02-2014), Ultramaroon (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #21
Defuser
Remember

Drives: 2015 Asphalt
I enjoy looking at the members' journals here on the ft86club forums. You get to see exactly how aftermarket parts look on the vehicle, and get some feedback from the owner if you ask questions.

There are owners on here who have modded their cars to the extreme, both in performance and appearance. Tons of knowledge on this site.

Last edited by Defuser; 12-02-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Defuser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Defuser For This Useful Post:
babylobster (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
babylobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_guy View Post
First of all, car talk is AMAZING whether you know about cars or not. I am one of those who will look at you like you're an idiot if you ask a stupid question, unless you preface it with "I'm completely new to this...". You started off on the right foot by asking how you can learn rather than "how do i get 300 wheel horse power?".

All suggestions above are great so I suggest you start your with the basics of internal combustion engines; suck, squeeze, bang, and blow...
I'm sure car talk is amazing but not when I'm DERP . Suck, squeeze, bang, and blow...Sounds TOTALLY appropriate...
Old 12-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
babylobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
I'm going to change my profile picture to some hot girl and ask all these questions. Every single reply is very detailed and NICE!!!
Quote:

LOL. Thank you everyone for your advice and not bashing me! I'd be so upset if people were nasty to me for asking my question! You gotta start SOMEWHERE!
Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I'm amazed nobody has offered to come by and help in person yet.

Lots of good advice on reading. And then reading some more.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (12-02-2014), strat61caster (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Probably the same, it was a well worded post and relatively humble, the only potential misstep was 'reading up about wheels, car parts, good stuff' and that's where priorities step in, the wheels that win a car show are not going to be the same wheels that win an autocross in this day and age so step one is to read read read and figure out what OP wants.

Here's a couple other questionable posts from the last few days that got reasonable responses with no implication of gender:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77626
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78384
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
babylobster (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #26
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Probably the same, it was a well worded post and relatively humble, the only potential misstep was 'reading up about wheels, car parts, good stuff' and that's where priorities step in, the wheels that win a car show are not going to be the same wheels that win an autocross in this day and age so step one is to read read read and figure out what OP wants.

Here's a couple other questionable posts from the last few days that got reasonable responses with no implication of gender:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77626
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78384
The fuel answers were reasonable but the other was over half the smart ass comments I would expect (and give in some cases I am not an innocent bystander).
Still not the same as if a guy with a 2013 join date asked "tell me about cars".
I could see about 20 responses that just said "search" and they would be the gentle ones!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylobster View Post

Well then I'd say you're definitely hanging out with the wrong group of enthusiasts. Anyone who is going to belittle you for not knowing something likely doesn't know all that much to begin with, and is insecure in their own knowledge. The people who really know what they're talking about should gladly jump at any chance to educate a newbie!

Like some other folks have said, I know a fair bit but am always learning new things. The FR-S is the first enthusiast car I've actually owned, but I've always put myself around other car people. I understand that feeling of not wanting to look stupid though, I've been there myself before and I kept my mouth shut. The key to learning is not being afraid to ask questions, which means putting yourself around the right sort of car people.

I think one of the best places to learn some basics is going to something like an autocross. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people there, the instructors and other drivers are more than willing to help you out in terms of both the cars in general and how to stay in control while racing, and it's a relatively low cost hobby. Plus you're pretty much guaranteed to see at least a few other Toyobarus at most any autocross event, so you can learn from people who have experience with the same car as you.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #28
babylobster

Quote:
Well then I'd say you're definitely hanging out with the wrong group of enthusiasts. Anyone who is going to belittle you for not knowing something likely doesn't know all that much to begin with, and is insecure in their own knowledge. The people who really know what they're talking about should gladly jump at any chance to educate a newbie!
Quote:

Like some other folks have said, I know a fair bit but am always learning new things. The FR-S is the first enthusiast car I've actually owned, but I've always put myself around other car people. I understand that feeling of not wanting to look stupid though, I've been there myself before and I kept my mouth shut. The key to learning is not being afraid to ask questions, which means putting yourself around the right sort of car people.

I think one of the best places to learn some basics is going to something like an autocross. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people there, the instructors and other drivers are more than willing to help you out in terms of both the cars in general and how to stay in control while racing, and it's a relatively low cost hobby. Plus you're pretty much guaranteed to see at least a few other Toyobarus at most any autocross event, so you can learn from people who have experience with the same car as you.
I don't know if they WILL belittle me but I feel like some people would if I said something so I didn't bother trying, if that makes any sense. Especially if you're in an area where EVERYONE is a total stranger and doesn't come up to you to introduce themselves when you're standing there by yourself and they just stick to their clique (they're NOT obligated to at all but it would definitely be nice if someone were to randomly come up to the one person standing there looking awkward just to say hi. I'd feel much more comfortable striking up a conversation!). And not to talk badly of all the men on this forum, but it's MUCH easier for men to be willing to teach you things when you're a single female and I'm not currently. When I was single and I went to car events, I'd have to say it was easier making friends and hanging out with people. Now I don't get invited to anything and it's kind of sad but whatever. That's life, right?

Where would I go to look for autocross events? You actually can drive in an autocross event? I thought you're just a bystander.