follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #15
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBlue86 View Post
Here is my log. Car is stock aside from a K&N drop in...
@shiv@vishnu The car feels great, but that VVT exhaust hump between 3800-4500 is a little unnerving... makes quite a sound!

Let me know what you think!

Running 1.42 stage 2 EL E85

http://datazap.me/u/khallin/log-1-10...data=1-2-5-6-9
Looks really nice. AFR is pretty much perfect. Judging by the negative fuel trim, your ethanol content isn't very high (probably around 60%). That explains advance multiplier dropped down slightly to 0.88. Still completely safe and sound. And the change in intake noise at 38000rpm is normal with the EL tune. Just a side-effect of the VVT mapping that is necessary to reduce the torque dip in that RPM range. If you want to get rid of it (and the dip), get a UEL header and run the UEL E85 tune. It will make considerably more power and sound better
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #16
BobbyBlue86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Looks really nice. AFR is pretty much perfect. Judging by the negative fuel trim, your ethanol content isn't very high (probably around 60%). That explains advance multiplier dropped down slightly to 0.88. Still completely safe and sound. And the change in intake noise at 38000rpm is normal with the EL tune. Just a side-effect of the VVT mapping that is necessary to reduce the torque dip in that RPM range. If you want to get rid of it (and the dip), get a UEL header and run the UEL E85 tune. It will make considerably more power and sound better
Well Im waiting for my tax return so I can pick up your OFH

Seriously good job though. The car really feels like it has way more life in it and its not so rough at higher revs. I am really excited with the direction you guys are moving. I just hope that one day you guys will have some tunes for the Innovate SC... as that is my goal further down the road.

The fuel, however, is probably because I had roughly 2-4 gallons of 91 in my tank on fill up.
BobbyBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #17
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Hi Shiv,

Interested in running this tune in Australia. The E85 at the pump is rated at 105 RON (petrol rated at 98 RON ,think i'st equivalent to your 93 in US)

Will E85 rated at 105 RON (Australian) be sufficient for this tune on standard car ??
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #18
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
OMG I can't wait!!!
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #19
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I was thinking of using the E85 tune as well but there's only 1 station in my area, not very close to my home anyway. Would be simply too inconvenient for a daily driver.....

Hoping E85 become available more easily in future
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #20
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Hi Shiv,

Interested in running this tune in Australia. The E85 at the pump is rated at 105 RON (petrol rated at 98 RON ,think i'st equivalent to your 93 in US)

Will E85 rated at 105 RON (Australian) be sufficient for this tune on standard car ??
Unfortunately, I have no experience with your E85 but I suspect it will be fine. But it's a good idea to test carefully when first running it with the E85 maps. Just for peace of mind
Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 AM   #21
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have no experience with your E85 but I suspect it will be fine. But it's a good idea to test carefully when first running it with the E85 maps. Just for peace of mind

H'mm might wait till logging update for IAM monitoring I think
Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #22
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
H'mm might wait till logging update for IAM monitoring I think
You don't need iam logging. You can just look at kc learned numbers. That's actually a better approach when first testing to knock since iam usually takes more time to drop when knock occurs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
steve99 (01-28-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #23
steve99
Banned

Quote:
You don't need iam logging. You can just look at kc learned numbers. That's actually a better approach when first testing to knock since iam usually takes more time to drop when knock occurs.

Ok what KC learned values should I be looking for

Value above XX
Stays above XX for certain amount of time

Currently don't see above 6 and only short duration spikes few seconds most often on lower RPM ranges 1500-4000rpm this is on 98 RON petrol

What is dangerous ??

Won't have to worry about cold start here if it gets below 50F everyone would be panicking thing the next ice age is coming

Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #24
steve99
Banned

Quote:

Thanks shiv and Jamesm

Think I have this "KC Leaned" parameter sorted now. spent last hour or so comparing Engine Load Vs RPM Ignition advance table values against KC Learned value's from my logs. Can now see why your tunes pulled advance in 1500-3000 Rpm area against stock, evidence of knock when I was on stock ROM (2 or 4 degrees discrepancy between KC Learned and advance table values) but very little if any on 1.42 or 1.53 tunes

The IAM dropping is and indication you need to look deeper at "KC Learned" and see where your knock occurrs to pull timing I now realise

Hopefully I am on the right track
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #25
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks shiv and Jamesm

Think I have this "KC Leaned" parameter sorted now. spent last hour or so comparing Engine Load Vs RPM Ignition advance table values against KC Learned value's from my logs. Can now see why your tunes pulled advance in 1500-3000 Rpm area against stock, evidence of knock when I was on stock ROM (2 or 4 degrees discrepancy between KC Learned and advance table values) but very little if any on 1.42 or 1.53 tunes

The IAM dropping is and indication you need to look deeper at "KC Learned" and see where your knock occurrs to pull timing I now realise

Hopefully I am on the right track
to expand on that... it is important to understand that there are three knock control strategies implemented in the stock logic. fbkc, flkc, and coarse correction. only one is ever active at any given time.

what this means is that just because you don't see knock in one place doesn't mean it wasn't there. you have to see the whole picture. knock correction learned value will show you the result (but not the actual value of) flkc and coarse correction. coarse correction is your IAM btw.

so, if you have a targeted advance value of 5deg.. and your knock correction learn value is 2.5, it means either your iam is 0.5, or that cell in flkc is pulling 2.5deg (which isn't a valid value, they're incremented by 0.35 in the stock rom, but whatever lol), or some combination of the two. so, kclv essentially shows you what's happening in two of the modes. fbkc is just instantaneous correction.. dumb knock correction basically.

it's also important to note that the ecu has no notion of knock severity. the knock flag is a boolean value.. i.e. true or false. every x number of cycles the ecu checks this value, and if it's true, it decrements something, if it's false it increments something or does nothing depending on what mode it is currently in. remember we're talking fractions of a millisecond here, which is why it seems like they're all working at once, though they arent.

so it works something like this (the short version): by default you're running around in fbkc. when significant knock is detected by the ecu (greater than 3.1 deg of correction iirc), it'll write a value into flkc. if the value written into flkc is large enough (again i believe 3.1deg), it will decrement the IAM by the value set in the rom. after a while of not seeing knock in a load/rpm range, it will increment flkc in that range. this means that it's only possible for flkc to be positive if the iam is less than one.

that's just a very basic overview of how things work, but if anyone would like a more detailed explanation feel free to pm me and i'll do the best i can.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
steve99 (01-29-2014), Wayno (03-12-2015), Yobiwan (01-31-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 04:43 AM   #26
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
to expand on that... it is important to understand that there are three knock control strategies implemented in the stock logic. fbkc, flkc, and coarse correction. only one is ever active at any given time.

what this means is that just because you don't see knock in one place doesn't mean it wasn't there. you have to see the whole picture. knock correction learned value will show you the result (but not the actual value of) flkc and coarse correction. coarse correction is your IAM btw.

so, if you have a targeted advance value of 5deg.. and your knock correction learn value is 2.5, it means either your iam is 0.5, or that cell in flkc is pulling 2.5deg (which isn't a valid value, they're incremented by 0.35 in the stock rom, but whatever lol), or some combination of the two. so, kclv essentially shows you what's happening in two of the modes. fbkc is just instantaneous correction.. dumb knock correction basically.

it's also important to note that the ecu has no notion of knock severity. the knock flag is a boolean value.. i.e. true or false. every x number of cycles the ecu checks this value, and if it's true, it decrements something, if it's false it increments something or does nothing depending on what mode it is currently in. remember we're talking fractions of a millisecond here, which is why it seems like they're all working at once, though they arent.

so it works something like this (the short version): by default you're running around in fbkc. when significant knock is detected by the ecu (greater than 3.1 deg of correction iirc), it'll write a value into flkc. if the value written into flkc is large enough (again i believe 3.1deg), it will decrement the IAM by the value set in the rom. after a while of not seeing knock in a load/rpm range, it will increment flkc in that range. this means that it's only possible for flkc to be positive if the iam is less than one.

that's just a very basic overview of how things work, but if anyone would like a more detailed explanation feel free to pm me and i'll do the best i can.
Thanks jamesm,

Every day i learn something new is a good day

will digest info above , might take you up on your offer once i have my head around this.

Last edited by steve99; 01-29-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #27
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Doesn't it go into fbkc when there is a rapid change in engine load?
so default would be flkc? until driven spiritedly, WOT etc?
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Doesn't it go into fbkc when there is a rapid change in engine load?
so default would be flkc? until driven spiritedly, WOT etc?
nope... fbkc is what you 'roll around in' but that's probably a terrible way to put it given that we're talking about extremely short time intervals here lol. flkc is only written to after the ecu sees knock activity or when the engine is in a load/rpm range that the value is currently non-zero, as i understand it (could be wrong though, or things may have changed since the 16/32bit wrx ecus most of the available information is based on). fbkc is the default 'reactive' knock control mode. i guess 'default' might not be the right word. think of it as 'the one you're in when nothing else is happening' lol.

there's talk of a notion of pre-emptive knock control that is based on the load delta, but it's not well defined and i've only been able to find a little bit of (old) information on it.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote