follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
bdbx18

Drives: Present MDX, Civic Hybrid, BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbx18 View Post
Right here! Mine *may* disconnect within the first few mins but it's good thereafter. I use a custom rom on my HTC1 but I have zero issues with the multiple BT receivers I have at home as well as the BT headphones I have.

Last weekend, I updated the firmware on my phone. I thought I solved the problem because there were no disconnects for two whole days so I bragged to a friend that the mystery was solved. It promptly disconnected again on my drive home that day.
I think SHE may have heard me complaining. The previous two nights, she disconnected my BT -multiple- times in the course of mere minutes.

"I promise I won't say anything bad about you again ..... "

People, it's the BT receiver/radio in the car. I never had disconnects in all of my BT devices in the house. And with a car this small, I can't believe it is a distance/range issue. Heck even if I had my phone in the trunk, it's only a few feet from the dash.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Ethan

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've had the same bluetooth disconnect problem for over a year now. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I took my car to the dealership and they said the problem was the phone. I have a phone from my work, and they told me the problem is the car. So freaking annoying!!! I have a few other bluetooth devices and my phone has no problem connecting (and staying connected to them). I think the only viable answer is to go back to an earpiece.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
cerealcable

Drives: 2013 Dark Gray Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That's a pretty terrible "answer". Don't use that feature we sold you because it doesn't work isn't acceptable to me. I haven't made time to go complain about mine to the dealership. I've had two difference phones since I've bought the car, and ultimately they both start spazzing out. It took a week with my Nexus 5 to eventually start being so worthless on the headunit that I've turned off bluetooth entirely. It isn't worth my frustration to constantly be interupted on calls and then have to either wait for the stereo to reconnect, the other person to hang up, or myself to fumble around in the car to take it off bluetooth.

So frustrating! I'd much rather but a new headunit to have working bluetooth than buy an earpiece. Hopefully there is a fix for it but I don't know how long I am willing to deal with this pain.
cerealcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Mine did it today for no reason. Has done it many times before. Shitty radios
Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
Second on the shitty radio. I've had a new car every 12-20 mos since 2002 and this is possibly the worst head unit I have ever had. My Motorola droid rzr wont stay connected, then it will, then it drops then I have to delete it from the head unit and the settings in my phone and it still shits the bed every three or four times I connect. I've tried a brand new iphone, iphone 4s, galaxy s4 and a moto rzr max all with the same issue.

I gave up. My fix was a $4 stereo cord from radio shack to aux input to play mp3's from my phone. Waiting until CES this year to see what comes out but right now I like the Alpine INE-S920HD or the Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD for a replacement. The stock unit is going to get 2 pounds of tannerite taped to it because it just needs to die.
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
robot
There are now 2 carseats!

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I tried to start a thread with a list of compatibility issues per phone. Nobody posted....it's in my sig.
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
I<3Twisties

Drives: SUBARWD
Sometimes I hit a bump and It would disconnect. Wth...

Ive noticed that since upgrading my galaxy nexus to android 4.2 (jellybean), I'm experiencing more frequent disconnects. I'm thinking it might now be a compatibility issue.

I've since switched to a USB drive in the aux plug and couldn't be happier.
I<3Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
bdbx18

I have never visited a Subie dealer and would in a sec if I read they had a fix for the BT issue. But it sounds like nobody has theirs fixed.

I am so frustrated that the past two days, I had my rear defroster on the entire drive (I have a tinted back window) thinking the heat may help the antennae. No dice.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #23
clintavo

Drives: BRZ
Mine works fine with an iPhone 4S. I tried a Galaxy S4 that continuously disconnected.
I heard it was a new Bluetooth format that turns the transmitter power down until it is just barely adequate to maintain the connection. The head unit is so low-tech, it just thinks the phone left.
I wonder if it would be worth swapping the HU for the bespoke?
clintavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Gintsuki

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited '13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a S4 and here is what I've noticed:

If I start the car THEN turn the bluetooth "on" on my phone - I have no connection issues.

HOWEVER if my bluetooth is "on" BEFORE my car has started, then I have connection issues. Basically the only way to fix them is to completely turn "off" the bluetooth on my phone (which is more difficult then it should be during the glitch connection) then turn it back "on" again as to mimic the first scenario.

It's a pain in the butt, but at least I've figured out how avoid connection issues (with my car and phone).

My bf has the Note 2 and his bluetooth can be "on" before the car starts and have no connection issues... Of course.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
bdbx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintsuki View Post
I have a S4 and here is what I've noticed:

If I start the car THEN turn the bluetooth "on" on my phone - I have no connection issues.

HOWEVER if my bluetooth is "on" BEFORE my car has started, then I have connection issues. Basically the only way to fix them is to completely turn "off" the bluetooth on my phone (which is more difficult then it should be during the glitch connection) then turn it back "on" again as to mimic the first scenario.

It's a pain in the butt, but at least I've figured out how avoid connection issues (with my car and phone).

My bf has the Note 2 and his bluetooth can be "on" before the car starts and have no connection issues... Of course.

LOL, it's worth a try on my drive home today.

To date, I have tried various approaches (including invoking the deity) to no fruition. So far, the following made no difference as far as streaming mp3s, (a) connected but not playing anything, (b) on Nav screen and off (c) play radio or not, (d) turn rear defroster on, (e) move phone between pass seat and armrest, (f) clearing and re-registering the phone, (g) a/c and no a/c plus a few others. Currently, I have not found any consistency or pattern, sometimes it works just dandy, sometimes it disconnects several times within a few yards. I have, however, never been disconnected while I'm talking on the phone.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #26
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinz View Post
I have had nothing but problems with my car's blutooth.

Phones tested:
- Blackberry Torch
- Samsung Galaxy S4
- Iphone 4, 5, 4s, 5s

Main Issues:
- Car refuses to connect to the phone
- Car disconnects the phone randomly
- Car will only connect certain features (music only, no phone)

Weird Issues:
When the car is cold, and I make a phone call, the recipient has a hard time hearing me because they hear road/vehicle noise. However, once the car is warmed up (and not so loud) they have no issue hearing me clearly.

I believe this is because the mic input is setup with a threshold - it turns off when it detects no noise, so the call can be clear, and then turns on when it detects noise, so the recipient can hear you. I believe this threshold is too low because it picks up the cold car's engine noise (bloody intake toob) but then doesnt once the car is warmed up.

Now, I consider myself tech saavy and I find nothing to blame aside from the car. It's really unfortunate because in NY driving while on the phone incurs a huge ticket.

Edit: where do you put the phone when driving? I usually put mine in the gap between the power outlet and the cup holders, with the screen facing upwards. Maybe a different phone placement/orientation will help with the signal connection?
I keep a micro-USB charger plugged into the 12V DC outlet in front of the cup holders, and put my S4 in the adjacent slot (stock photo, not mine):

As far as BT problems go, I generally listen to USB music but I use BT periodically. Sometimes I turn my S4's BT on after I get into the car, and sometimes I enable it before getting to the car; I've not had the issues you reported (at least not regularly).

That written, various versions of Android 4.x have had flakey BT connectivity. Every time I updated my old VGN (both stock and rooted), I wondered if BT was going to get better or worse

My S4 currently has 4.3 MJ7 stock; its BT isn't flawless, but it's been reasonably reliable.

When I do encounter a BT glitch (in my '13 BRZ, my wife's Prius, or the Ford Escapes we have at work), disabling/enabling BT on the phone usually solves it. Sometimes I need to specify a connection for media not just phone. If that doesn't work, rebooting the phone takes care of it.

In my experience, iOS is less flakey when it comes to BT (and in general).

As far as the BRZ's head unit goes, there's a lot to dislike, but its BT seems about as reliable as the other cars I've connected to: I regularly use it with a couple Ford Escapes (Microsft SYNC) and a Prius V, and I occasionally use it with some other vehicles. In every case, BT on Android usually works but sometimes doesn't.

I have more problems with the BRZ's USB... I keep an old iPod nano in the alcove in front of the shifter and ~25% of the time the car doesn't connect to it properly (when the car is started):

The BRZ and iPod both say it's connected, but the BRZ doesn't show the correct number of songs, display any song information, navigate through songs, or play anything.

Unplugging or rebooting the nano doesn't help. The BRZ head unit doesn't actually power down when you turn it off, and as expected that doesn't help either. Turning the car off and back on fixes it, but I don't like to do that (wear and tear) so when USB fails I just switch to BT music.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #27
fourvalleys
Howdy!

Drives: Party ST, Classic Mini
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Note 3, turning on the phone bluetooth after starting the car addresses it, but it sometimes has issues displaying contacts. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
fourvalleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #28
cerealcable

Drives: 2013 Dark Gray Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm at the dealership for my first service. Also complaining about Bluetooth so we shall see what they say.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
cerealcable is offline   Reply With Quote