follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mosconi 6to8 looks good too.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
The JL Audio CleanSweep seems to very VERY hit or miss.
In all fairness the Cleansweep shouldn't really be in this list. If I remember correctly, it works by reading the output of the H/U while running a test cd and setting internal equalization so that its own outputs are a nice flat signal that can then be tweaked by your crossovers and amps without having to deal with the lousy factory equalization.
It doesn't have anywhere near the power of a good processor, it's more like a deluxe output converter.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mid_life_crisis For This Useful Post:
Sbeezy (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
Not anymore unfortunately. TOS/LINK never seemed to really catch on in car audio for reasons I've never quite understood. The Bit10D is really intended to be used with Audison's line of Voce amps. It has a digital output via RJ-45 into a special module for their amps, the Bit10 is basically the same device minus this functionality and with the controller module an optional accessory.

Knowing your budget and goals would be very helpful.

The big players in the DPS field right now are Audison, Rockford Fosgate, JBL, JL Audio, and to a very lesser extent Alpine. I've heard the Audison in person and it's a phenominal unit. I've also heard good things about the new generation of Rockfords 3sixty line. The JL Audio CleanSweep seems to very VERY hit or miss.
The 360.3 is a nice unit. I have it in the wifes car, there are few things I like about it the bitone doenst have, but theres stuff the bitone has it doesnt... for the money tho Its a good piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Mosconi 6to8 looks good too.
only issue with that is for the price the interface is complete garbage. I wanted to get it instead of the 360... but was so terrible using the software it turned me off instantly.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Sbeezy

Drives: 2001 ZX2, WRBP BRZ (soon hopefully)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDgeT View Post

MS-8 are awful, had 2 die on me, never could get the tuning right
I've heard this many times over especially the tuning part... no one I know has ever been able to get the stage width right or the centering dead on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Sbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbeezy View Post
I've heard this many times over especially the tuning part... no one I know has ever been able to get the stage width right or the centering dead on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Ya they are funky to do stuff with... with trial and error you can get them to sound great, but still have limited user adjustments. If you can find one used forl like 350 its a good deal, more than that..... pass
Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #20
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDgeT View Post
Go for an Alpine PXA H800 with RUX controller or Audison Bit one
The two most commonly used processors in competitions around Europe. Says it all.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #21
BlueSTaR

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited & 16 Hyperblue
get this for the sub box instead. http://www.jlaudio.com/product/54216....1050512.0/BRZ
BlueSTaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #22
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSTaR View Post
not worth the money when he can get the Integrity Concepts cheaper and its a nice piece.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
Redmist

Drives: Galaxy Blue BRZ
JBL MS-8 works perfectly for me. If you use it properly with the right equipment, it will give you audiophile quality sound a hell of a lot quicker than a BitOne, 6to8, PS8 etc. I think a lot of amateurs just like having a myriad of bells and whistles to tool around with until it sounds good to them.
Also, the MS-8's method of post-set up EQ'ing is a hell of a lot more sophisticated than the 'nuts and bolts' DSPs and means that you're more likely to improve the sound by tweaking rather than constantly messing it up.
Of course, if you're a professional audio engineer with 20 years experience and very expensive test equipment, it's possible you can do a better job than the MS-8. Also, somebody that lives and breathes car audio and spends several hours per day tuning systems could possibly beat the MS-8....maybe.
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redmist For This Useful Post:
OnionTou (06-07-2013), welllam (06-08-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
JBL MS-8 works perfectly for me. If you use it properly with the right equipment, it will give you audiophile quality sound a hell of a lot quicker than a BitOne, 6to8, PS8 etc. I think a lot of amateurs just like having a myriad of bells and whistles to tool around with until it sounds good to them.
Also, the MS-8's method of post-set up EQ'ing is a hell of a lot more sophisticated than the 'nuts and bolts' DSPs and means that you're more likely to improve the sound by tweaking rather than constantly messing it up.
Of course, if you're a professional audio engineer with 20 years experience and very expensive test equipment, it's possible you can do a better job than the MS-8. Also, somebody that lives and breathes car audio and spends several hours per day tuning systems could possibly beat the MS-8....maybe.
Problem with the MS8 is T/A issues in cars with active 3 way fronts, for some reason it doesn't always process it correctly and you have to run it over and over just to get it close. While, the logic 7 portion for center control and using rears to widen the sound stage is cool, its just a pain with some cars.

I usually recommend it to someone with a factory center who is swapping radios, have them run that over the oem amp and it cleans stuff up nicely.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
If you are contemplating setting up a processor, you might want to visit DIYMA and read this how-to thread. It sounds interesting.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...your-ears.html
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mid_life_crisis For This Useful Post:
OnionTou (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
Sbeezy

Drives: 2001 ZX2, WRBP BRZ (soon hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
If you use it properly with the right equipment, it will give you audiophile quality sound a hell of a lot quicker than a BitOne, 6to8, PS8 etc.
this is so far from the truth... all the guys i know that use them have 20+ years in audio and tuning plus all the tools to ensure a proper tune like RTA,MLS etc... the algorithms of the system suck plain and simple and they all run high end drivers and amps. The PS8 will whip the piss out of an MS8
Sbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
Redmist

Drives: Galaxy Blue BRZ
Guys whose services are made obsolete by a product don't like that product? Shocking.
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #28
simplicityinsound

Drives: 2010 Subaru LGT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have installed and tuned over 300 dsps..25 or so were ms8s. There r advantages and disadvantages of it versus a more traditional unit. I will try to elaborate more when im back from vacation.

But two things for sure.

1. Ms8 never did or will. Replace an experienced tuner in a car. It was never meant to be that.

2. Experience still counts a lot when setting up the ms8. I would not call it a dsp for someone with zero knowledge. Rather someone with good and solid fundamentals in audio can achieve decent results in as little as 10 to 15 mins.

B

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
kmbkk (06-07-2013), Redmist (06-14-2013), rupert (06-07-2013), Sbeezy (06-07-2013)