follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Pandle

Drives: CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@ViscontiTuning View Post
Thanks! Lol
You had one too many of these ] before the = anyway sorry for off topic...
Pandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I am using FA20Club's Stage 2 tune on pump and when I can do logging, soon to be E85. I like the tune. You can't go wrong with most solutions on this board. Do a local tune if you can, if not John or FA20Club are great safe tunes.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Vukodlac (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhei View Post
Funny thing about our cars (FRS/BRZ), no fuel system changes are necessary to run e85. While the long-term effects haven't been tested..(i.e. the car has only been out for 10 months or so), the only drawback seen from e85 so far has been a loss of mpg. So no worries about additional costs for fuel system. Just need the right tune to run it.
The DI fuel pump squeak or creak or cricket noise or whatever it is has, i believe, been linked to Ethanol content. It was reported by one user that dealers were instructed to randomly sample fuel as they seem to only be seeing DI fule pump issues in areas where ethanol blend fuels are used.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
Vukodlac

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Alright thanks for fixing the links!

Yeah, wow 1300 for 20-30whp for e85. What kind of gains would you see for 92 rating?

Pretty amazing to not have to make all these mods to run e85. Last time I did run it, it was on 04 stratus and my car ran so so bad.
Vukodlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
Vukodlac

Yeah my cricket noise comes and goes. Thats a tsb recall right?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukodlac View Post
Yeah my cricket noise comes and goes. Thats a tsb recall right?
Yes but it won't be fixed. It has to do with Fuel nothing else. I would not waste your time trying/worring about it. Its not harming anything in the engine or DI pump.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Vukodlac (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
mechaghost

Drives: Silver AT Limited
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I'd recommend going to bob at the drift office to get your tune. Local tuning solutions are better to account for local conditions.
mechaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mechaghost For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (03-22-2013), Vukodlac (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukodlac View Post
Did a little research on the forums and noticed there are plenty to go with.

I'm leaning on visconti, but here are my plans.

Im currently running a drop in filter because I'm not going to waste money on a intake system that does nothing.

Im also running a full header back. Motiv overpipe and hfc and perrins' unres catback.

I might go supercharged in the future, but I want to wait and check out my options and get a game plan.

I would like something easy to use that wont blow upp my car. And no, im not trackin right now.
Just my 2 cents, but the visconti is pretty awesome. Just flashed it this morning and gotta admit it idles much better and the mid torque increase is pretty freakin nice. it picks up quicker now. the launch control is pretty sick too. on map 3 and 4 the added traction control is really fun! I'm super happy with the flash. The instructions on the process of getting the stuff then getting the file can be confusing and they are pretty damn busy so expect a little tiny wait when needing a reply. Well worth the wait though!
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
Rich@ViscontiTuning (03-22-2013), Vukodlac (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
Vukodlac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Yes but it won't be fixed. It has to do with Fuel nothing else. I would not waste your time trying/worring about it. Its not harming anything in the engine or DI pump.
Ah right on was concerned about the fuell system with a tune.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
Vukodlac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaghost View Post
I'd recommend going to bob at the drift office to get your tune. Local tuning solutions are better to account for local conditions.
Thanks, ive heard good things about that shop. Have you been in inishi motors in Bellevue? Good group.

You make good points.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@ViscontiTuning View Post
Here's how you purchase the flash from Visconti Tuning. I've posted both the pump gas only kit and the pump gas + e85 kit. Both kits include the cable, the license and the maps - everything you need to perform the tune yourself.

If you have e85 in your area, then you'll absolutely want to get the kit that has both the pump gas map and e85 map. The e85 map will give you about 25-30 whp, so it's much better to take advantage of e85 if it's available in your area .

Here's a run down of the four maps you'll get and their features (applicable to both pump gas and e85 maps):

Map 1 - Tune + Stock Rev Limiter
Map 2 - Tune + 8000RPM Rev Limiter in 2nd Gear + Launch Control + Flat Foot Shifting
Map 3 - Tune + 8000RPM Rev Limiter in 2nd Gear + Launch Control + Flat Foot Shifting + RaceRom Traction Control
Map 4 - Tune + 8000RPM Rev Limiter in 2nd Gear + Launch Control + Flat Foot Shifting + More Agreesive RaceRom Traction Control

And below this, are links to purchase the packages. Let me know if you have any questions!

Click here for STG1 Pumpgas ONLY - (Shipped to USA)"]="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YFVGJYQ5N6VLW"]Click here for STG1 Pumpgas ONLY - (Shipped to USA)
Click here for STG1 Pumpgas + Ethanol - (Shipped to USA)"]="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=3FM65N4HNRV2W"]Click here for STG1 Pumpgas + Ethanol - (Shipped to USA)

-Rich

Question is the 8k rpm only for 2nd gear... you dont get 8k rpms in first as well or 3rd,4th ect? Also whats the between the two racerom traction controls compared to stock?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #26
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
Question is the 8k rpm only for 2nd gear... you dont get 8k rpms in first as well or 3rd,4th ect? Also whats the between the two racerom traction controls compared to stock?
I have a Visconti tune as well and it has been the best upgrade I could have put on the car, performance wise. As for the 8k redline, it is only on 2nd gear. And its only there for 0-60 (lets you get above 60 before shifting out of 2nd). As for traction control, I cant really speak for it as I havent used it. But..it is supposed to be a kinder traction control, not as invasive or as abrupt. But I've only run into the stock traction control once or twice, so I havent played around with the racerom one much. Hopefully someone else can chime in and add their experience.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akuhei For This Useful Post:
Visconti (03-22-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #27
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhei View Post
I have a Visconti tune as well and it has been the best upgrade I could have put on the car, performance wise. As for the 8k redline, it is only on 2nd gear. And its only there for 0-60 (lets you get above 60 before shifting out of 2nd). As for traction control, I cant really speak for it as I havent used it. But..it is supposed to be a kinder traction control, not as invasive or as abrupt. But I've only run into the stock traction control once or twice, so I havent played around with the racerom one much. Hopefully someone else can chime in and add their experience.
the traction controls on stock really correct your "actions." turning traction control off and using map 3, i noticed i got sideways with some correction. 4 seemed like nothing was there hahaha. i could be wrong though since i was having so much fun getting sideways with my nitto nt05 on my work emotions haha
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
The main reason we raised 2nd gear to 8k is for 0-60 times. The stock FR-S/BRZ cannot hit 60mph in 2nd gear. By eliminating the need for that 2nd shift into 3rd to hit 60, you get much faster times . But you wouldn't want to raise the limit for all gears because its unnecessary wear. Remember - reliability and safety are still top priority with our tunes. And besides, peak HP is made at about 6800rpm with our map anyway, so we've set the right limits in each gear.

With regard to TC, racerom allows us to create a more aggressive traction control system using custom logic to allow for more slip. Map 4 is more aggressive (more slip) than map 3 and keep in mind, you must disable the factory traction control before our system kicks in.
Rich@ViscontiTuning is offline   Reply With Quote