follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
scape

Drives: yaris
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
but the toyota yaris is 2300 lbs and is only 1 ft shorter... what would make it so heavy?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
but the toyota yaris is 2300 lbs and is only 1 ft shorter... what would make it so heavy?
rear differential, drive shaft and rear wheel drive transmission are longer and heavier due to thicker gears that can withstand more trq... that alone i can say +/- 200lbs not bad for 2500lbs, but since this will be a handling car chassis rigidity will be key
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 AM   #17
Blokatos

Drives: MX5 Miata Mk2.5 1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Which CTR? Don't know of any that make that power/weight, because all that have 200+hp weigh more than 2700lbs, and the EK9 has 180hp.

Feel free to buy a type R if the FT isn't to your taste.

2600-2700 sounds just about right to me, and I'll only be happier the lighter it gets.

I don't want to buy a Type R. I would if I did. I prefer RWD on a sports car. Just wanted to show that 200 hp doesn't mean heavy weight...

Back to the ancient art of driving!
Blokatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
ddoouugg
Advanced Member

Drives: RSX
I think the car will be between 2700 and 2900 lbs. The Subaru will weigh more. 2900 lbs is still very light for a modern sports car, especially when the boxer engine will give it such a low center of gravity. Amazing handling front engine cars like the e92 m3 weight well over 3500 lbs. Modern suspension can easily make a 3000 lb car handle better than an older 2500 lb car. With regard to acceleration, a 2500 lb car will obviously be much faster than a 3000 lb car, but 3000 lbs is still light. With a trd sc or something, this car will be very quick.
ddoouugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
So wait. Subaru of Japan hasn't even announced it but someone from Subaru of America is saying to a motoring "blog" it's for sure? I'm still not believing it. Doesn't mean it won't happen (because now I'm almost certain it will), but we're still dealing with false information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokatos View Post
CTR is 200 hp and weighs less than 2700 lbs. I will not buy the FT-86 if it weighs more than 2600 lbs in stock form...
Maybe the EK CTR was under 2700 lbs, but the next two gens certainly do not. They hover around both sides of 2800 lbs with the latest one flirting with 2900 lbs.

Stop comparing apples to oranges (i.e. a brand new car with an older car; different layout; etc). It's not going to work.

Quote:
No one's buying a Yaris to wind the piss out of it and possible slam into a mountain side pretending they're the ultimate Tofu delivery person.

The FT is going to be a sports car. And in this day and age, you don't get to be a successful car company if you sell a sports car that won't protect the owner from itself. Safety equipment and parts bin sharing (to keep costs down) will keep this car from weighing in anywhere close to what everyone here thinks it will be.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
Franisco

Drives: D31a
Taken.
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #21
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franisco View Post
Taken.
:happy0180: LOL! You're welcome.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #22
scape

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post

No one's buying a Yaris to wind the piss out of it and possible slam into a mountain side pretending they're the ultimate Tofu delivery person.

The FT is going to be a sports car. And in this day and age, you don't get to be a successful car company if you sell a sports car that won't protect the owner from itself. Safety equipment and parts bin sharing (to keep costs down) will keep this car from weighing in anywhere close to what everyone here thinks it will be.

that's not true, many people are buying yaris's and turboing them, and at 2300lbs they are pretty friggin fast with any form of FI; shamefully FWD, but still...it also has 5 star frontal crash rating (well the hatch does anyway) so it's unbelievably safe, unbeknownst to most people...

I highly doubt 2.0L engine, RWD transmission components, and 'safety' will land an extra 600lbs; but perhaps your final point makes sense, parts bin sharing; as well as someones comment about chassis rigidity.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #23
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
So wait. Subaru of Japan hasn't even announced it but someone from Subaru of America is saying to a motoring "blog" it's for sure? I'm still not believing it. Doesn't mean it won't happen (because now I'm almost certain it will), but we're still dealing with false information.
yeah the subaru is kinda hard to believe right now, no formal announcement, no prototype seen on the road or on nur ring and no concept seen yet. all thats fueling the fire is the bloggers that half made up and half just cuz, they are a subaru fans that are hoping for a coupe STI.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #24
IBCoupe

Drives: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
Quote:
that's not true, many people are buying yaris's and turboing them,
I've seen hundreds of Yarises on the road, and I've yet to see a turbo'd one. While it's entirely possible that there are people out there who will turbo a Yaris (I'm sure there are people who will turbo a bar stool, if they can), I'm not sure this is the demographic Toyota had in mind when they designed, engineered, and marketed the Yaris.

The FT-86 may or may not be the same way. While it's possible that Toyota wants to tap into today's young tuner market, it's also possible that they're going to aim it towards the older, lumpier, foggier-visioned 40-year-old tuner market that misses their old AE86.
IBCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #25
IBCoupe

Drives: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
yeah the subaru is kinda hard to believe right now, no formal announcement, no prototype seen on the road or on nur ring and no concept seen yet. all thats fueling the fire is the bloggers that half made up and half just cuz, they are a subaru fans that are hoping for a coupe STI.
I should start by saying I'm really excited by Toyota's FT-86. I was raised on Toyota. My parents had a Tercel, a Van, an Avalon, and a 4Runner. My first car (and I do miss it so!) was a '97 Corolla. My sister's first car is a '00 Corolla. And my cousin and I have been bugging my Dad for years to fix up his '75 FJ40 that's been rusting in the garage since he moved to Boston from Colorado.

That said, if Subaru did come up with an AWD version and Toyota didn't, I might just have to buy the Subaru and debadge it on day one. A RWD toy is fun, but it's going to be my daily driver, and winters to tend to suck in New England. Given the assumption that Toyota's not going to come out with much better than a base version, and that they're not going to come up with an AWD version, I'm pretty psyched about the prospects of an STI coupe, too.
IBCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #26
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Quote:
that's not true, many people are buying yaris's and turboing them
How many is "many?"

I'm not disputing some people are doing this, but I'm willing to bet it's an infinitely small number of people in proportion to those who buy the car as a basic means of transportation. The FT is being aimed at the enthusiast. Very different scenario. Especially considering it will be priced within range of those just getting their driving licenses whose parents have more money than brains.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #27
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
i think it's more likely they spend the same amount of time designing both cars to be as safe as possible...

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #28
hoffo

Drives: none
The current gen NC Mazda MX-5 is only 2400-2500 lbs depending upon trim level. Convertibles are also heavier than coupes due to needing more chassis bracing without a fixed roof. So this car can still come in under 2700 lbs no problem, but only if they focus on making it as light as possible which is what Mazda engineers had to do with the NC redesign to keep weight down.
hoffo is offline   Reply With Quote