follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #15
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not saying for one second that increasing it will cause an issue just that it increases the risk of an problem occurring. There are loads of guys with huge increases that have not had a problem. Also many with stock everything that have so it isn't a black and white failure mode.

In this particular case, with the limited info at hand, the timing as stated and the fact there were indications for at least a while it is pretty safe to guess that the increase was the final nail.
Yep, agreed. It could be something seemingly insignificant as sand, salt, or other debris getting in the hydraulic system that can cause a massive failure (not saying this is the case for this particular failure).

86 owners, like other sports car enthusiasts, tend to drive cars harder and more unconventionally than 'normal' people.. it's assumed some of us will run into more unconventional mechanical problems too.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reeves For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #16
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Yep, agreed. It could be something seemingly insignificant as sand, salt, or other debris getting in the hydraulic system that can cause a massive failure (not saying this is the case for this particular failure).
I was told at the dealer that water and debris can enter the transmission and affect performance, stating we do not have sealer units. If that is true, then yes, we are likely to experience some "issues".
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you downshift religiously as you come to a stop, you are just wearing the clutch disc out twice as fast. Brakes are cheaper. If you need to drop a gear, rev match.

The clutch fork part number goes back decades as well as the throw out bearing. (the wrx is a more substantial design). If you put in a stronger pressure plate, go billet on the fork.

How you drive will determine how much dust is created in the bell housing. This dust will wear at the plastic in the throwout where it slides on the snout. If your taking off in first, you should be able to release the clutch in 2-3'.

People feathering their clutch on the uphill waiting on the light to turn green won't get the optimum life out of their components.
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #18
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,682 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
If I see a red light from far enough and know that it won't turn green before I come to a stop, I put it into neutral and coast until the car stops and apply brakes as necessary. Bet it saves a bit of gas too. I never downshift unless I corner or know that the light will turn green before I come to a stop. And do people actually not rev match?
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #19
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
If I see a red light from far enough and know that it won't turn green before I come to a stop, I put it into neutral and coast until the car stops and apply brakes as necessary. Bet it saves a bit of gas too. I never downshift unless I corner or know that the light will turn green before I come to a stop. And do people actually not rev match?
Almost nobody rev-matches. You will be surprised.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #20
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,682 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Almost nobody rev-matches. You will be surprised.
wow ... as soon as I learned how to drive manual, first thing I wanted to do was heel and toe cause it was so cool lol... I was heel-and-toeing in my second week. I have to say, the pedal setup on the 86 isn't the best for that...
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmryan View Post
If you downshift religiously as you come to a stop, you are just wearing the clutch disc out twice as fast. Brakes are cheaper. If you need to drop a gear, rev match.

The clutch fork part number goes back decades as well as the throw out bearing. (the wrx is a more substantial design). If you put in a stronger pressure plate, go billet on the fork.

How you drive will determine how much dust is created in the bell housing. This dust will wear at the plastic in the throwout where it slides on the snout. If your taking off in first, you should be able to release the clutch in 2-3'.

People feathering their clutch on the uphill waiting on the light to turn green won't get the optimum life out of their components.

The clutch is designed to be used to down shift as well as up shift. If I skip every other gear will my clutch last longer?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
It actually uses more gas. Miniscule but still more. When in gear and decelerating on compression the engine is not providing fuel. It is when idling with the clutch in.
If I am moving my car is in gear. ALWAYS! I need to get out of somebodies way I don't want to have to take that half second to put it in gear I want to het the gas and go. Any professional driver will tell you it is always in gear.
Why take your car and turn it into a glorified soap box racer by coasting around?
dhuang (03-16-2017), KL (04-18-2018)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #23
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I don't even use the clutch to shift, it's very easy and won't grind once you get the timing right.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #24
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses guys!

Yes there were some signs before it actually failed. Earlier in the day before the failure I feathered the clutch in 1st going over a ditch and I heard what I thought was a suspension noise. I figured I would just re tighten the front suspension as maybe 70k miles made something come loose. Low and behold it was actually the drivetrain??

But other than the failure was totally random. Luckily I was 50 yards from home before I felt the clutch pedal lose any refinement it had left. I agree I think the extra torque might've been the last straw. Considering I was playing around all night to see if I find a torque dip lol.

I've called a couple shops and they're all trying to upsell me on clutch kits...$1,500 out the door. I tell them I want just the bearing replaced but is this a smart move? I think I still have about 50k miles I can squeeze out of the clutch. I'm wondering if I should just have them replace the bearing and have the clutch kit ready to go just in case something else is damaged?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #25
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
My name must be "almost nobody"
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
My name must be "almost nobody"
Me as well. And pile of others on here.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Thanks for the responses guys!

Yes there were some signs before it actually failed. Earlier in the day before the failure I feathered the clutch in 1st going over a ditch and I heard what I thought was a suspension noise. I figured I would just re tighten the front suspension as maybe 70k miles made something come loose. Low and behold it was actually the drivetrain??

But other than the failure was totally random. Luckily I was 50 yards from home before I felt the clutch pedal lose any refinement it had left. I agree I think the extra torque might've been the last straw. Considering I was playing around all night to see if I find a torque dip lol.

I've called a couple shops and they're all trying to upsell me on clutch kits...$1,500 out the door. I tell them I want just the bearing replaced but is this a smart move? I think I still have about 50k miles I can squeeze out of the clutch. I'm wondering if I should just have them replace the bearing and have the clutch kit ready to go just in case something else is damaged?

I would be prepared for the worst and have the whole works ready. Not a given but the bearing can shear the fingers off the clutch when they let go. Better to have the parts you need then too have to wait once apart.
humfrz (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #28
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: downshifting

If you look at the edge of most pressure plates, there are usually three springs that hold the weighted plate to the housing. Not the clamping springs. They are directional to be in tension as when you are taking up the load. There is a possibility of bending them under compression like one someone drops from 5th to 2nd. The best example is an early M3.
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote