follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It really depends how you like the car when you drive it. If you like the mods, then maybe it is worth the full market price. Unless everything is unobtanium and super high end stuff there is simply no way the mods add value.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #16
MattTheGinge

Drives: Series.Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It really depends how you like the car when you drive it. If you like the mods, then maybe it is worth the full market price. Unless everything is unobtanium and super high end stuff there is simply no way the mods add value.
half the mods I would keep if they came with the car, but i wouldn't buy them if they didn't come with it. The only thing I would buy if it didnt come with it was the headers he has. its hard to find this car as it is, let alone one that is close to me. the closest stock series.blue is found is at a stealership 900+ miles away. i think for the most part the people who buy these cars, mod them. in the end, beggars cant be choosers, so i might just have to settle for the best/closest deal I could find.
MattTheGinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #17
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Likely the owner bought the mods, didn't like how the car drove after, and decided to sell it off. At least, I've seen that before with people who went with coilovers and sold off their original suspension, couldn't handle the ride quality.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #18
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGinge View Post
half the mods I would keep if they came with the car, but i wouldn't buy them if they didn't come with it. The only thing I would buy if it didnt come with it was the headers he has. its hard to find this car as it is, let alone one that is close to me. the closest stock series.blue is found is at a stealership 900+ miles away. i think for the most part the people who buy these cars, mod them. in the end, beggars cant be choosers, so i might just have to settle for the best/closest deal I could find.

I've heard that same statement from a couple people in Florida about these vehicles being hard to find. Personally, if it would save me 5K on a vehicle, I'd rather spend 1200 bucks on a plane ticket and some gas and go get a perfect vehicle in another state and drive it home. The memories created alone are worth the adventure. There are so many deals out there for these cars it isn't even funny. The value depreciates quickly and they're just going to keep getting more available.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-13-2016), why? (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
MattTheGinge

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I've heard that same statement from a couple people in Florida about these vehicles being hard to find. Personally, if it would save me 5K on a vehicle, I'd rather spend 1200 bucks on a plane ticket and some gas and go get a perfect vehicle in another state and drive it home. The memories created alone are worth the adventure. There are so many deals out there for these cars it isn't even funny. The value depreciates quickly and they're just going to keep getting more available.
I wish it was as simple as me just wanting a Brz in general, I'm so picky that it's hard to find the exact car I want with the right price and the right mods/lack of mods. I'm just worried of "the one that got away" feeling of missing I good deal while still looking for an even better one. I've been searching for a month or so for this car and at what point do I just pay a little bit more so I can get the car and be done with it. I feel like il constantly be chasing a better deal rather that just driving it and enjoying it. But I'm defiantly not going to spend 25k on one, 23k max if it has what I'm looking for. I've gotten a couple offers asking 25-28k just because they have mods. Not worth it imo.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #20
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
@MattTheGinge at that price point I'd just hold out and order a new one.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #21
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
car with mods=minus price imho and for me.

i.e. FRS price 15k, but seller added custom intake+e85 kit+exhaust=20k.

I'd offer 10k.

That's my reasoning. It has stopped me from purchasing over 3 cars that later gave the buyer many problems.

Its your money, if you ran a ecu scan, took to mechanic, test drove and really want it, just buy it.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #22
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
MY point of view is less radical and and goes like this. Modded car for me is a risk. Risk, that the owner fucked it up in some way. BUT it also can be a plus, if the mods are "right" for you. A lot of people do stuff to their cars beyond belief and that can indicate they don't relate to machines well. On the other hand, there are enthusiast who mods their cars in a way that clearly say "i know what I am doing", then, its great to know the previous owner cared.

If for example you have 20k car stock, and owner added BBK for 5k and full exhaust you want for another 5k, I have no reason to say that the car is worth 15, or even 20 and I would happy pay for the extras. If on other hand the car is slammed to death with mental wheels than I would not buy at all.
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #23
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
For series.blue a dealership might be your best bet. Cars.com was the site I found mine on. Some of these things just sit, and some dealerships are willing to make some deals. Some times the plane ticket and the long drive back are really worth it.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
MattTheGinge

Garage
I ended up looking at more dealers, I found this one for 23.5k, however when I asked about any mods specifically the tail lights and exhaust they told me the Car has no aftermarket parts and that this is the stock series.blue, however from this picture it looks as if it has blacked out taillights and an aftermarket exhaust. Correct me if I'm wrong but that exhaust looks like an N1 style rather than stock.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #25
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The reverse light is aftermarket, the tail lights are either aftermarket or blacked out OEM (I can't tell), and the exhaust is aftermarket. It also has a lip kit on it. If it's a series.blue, I think they come with it. If it's a normal BRZ, that was added on.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #26
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I ended up looking at more dealers, I found this one for 23.5k, however when I asked about any mods specifically the tail lights and exhaust they told me the Car has no aftermarket parts and that this is the stock series.blue, however from this picture it looks as if it has blacked out taillights and an aftermarket exhaust. Correct me if I'm wrong but that exhaust looks like an N1 style rather than stock.
nothing about that rear looks stock ..tail lights, reverse lights, exhaust

but looks good though
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #27
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you linked the dealer page/advertisement, we could probably find most mods before you go and look at it.

It is definitely modified, but the price is more reasonable, lol. Tinted tails, different reverse light / fourth brake light, and different catback.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #28
MattTheGinge

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
If you linked the dealer page/advertisement, we could probably find most mods before you go and look at it.

It is definitely modified, but the price is more reasonable, lol. Tinted tails, different reverse light / fourth brake light, and different catback.
This is the listing: http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1A2045C4 It would be one thing if I could go see it but I'm in Orlando and this one is in Indiana so it would be me going up there to buy it if it's the right price. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to basically tell the dealer "no, you're wrong" when they try to tell me its stock haha

Tags
brz, buying, series.blue