follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #15
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,254 Times in 678 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Pretty standard practice for Subaru dealerships. Let's face it, the best techs go where they can get paid the most for their skills. That's not Subaru. I was appalled at the service (or lack thereof) that I received. In retrospect, I would rather pay a trusted independent shop out of pocket for service than go to the dealer and have them attempt to solve a problem under warranty.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #16
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Now, i would like to note it was very nice of them to replace a blown shock with aftermarket springs installed though. Even if they didnt torque it down correctly

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
exE36M3 (02-14-2017), strat61caster (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 02:15 AM   #17
B2FiNiTY
JDM JUNKY

Drives: NSX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is best to call out the dealer regardless of the outcome. It will only do them good and do good for others.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B2FiNiTY For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (02-17-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #18
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You gotta tell us the dealer, I already don't want to go there for service. I just got a 17 BRZ so I need a good dealer for service!!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
AFRichZC6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Is it Capitol Subaru?
AFRichZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
exE36M3

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The dealership? Let's just say it's the one East Bay dealership with the lab.
I say that as I am familiar with search (I work in tech), and at this point, the guys are trying to be helpful. So I will withhold actual names to be fair to everyone involved.

I ended up going to the dealer today, ran the hell out of the car (think 3rd gear at 80mph) on the roadway and freeway to get the oil up to pressure - thus pushing oil out of any leak spots.

The tech then met me in the driveway of the dealership where he asked me what was up and I showed him top-side where the wiring, valve cover, and cat were wet with oil.

He said, AH got it. He took the car into the garage and onto a lift.
From there he spotted the oil leak off the valve cover, passenger side - splash tray removed.

The tech is going to clean the underside tonight, add an oil dye, and drive it home and back in the AM to see where the oil is coming out. He'll make recommendations from there, but he's guessing either the cam plate or valve cover from the looks of it. The dye will confirm. And if valve cover, they will drop the engine.

My frustration is down by about 7 points from the 9 it was when I posted this.
My 2 cents is that the communication from the service advisor to the tech wasn't in sync.
The tech said he and the master tech were looking on the wrong side of the motor - as instructed. So not sure how "the leak is coming from the passenger side" got miscommunicated into the driver side, but clearly it did.

At this point, I will assume they will fix the car.

My learnings from this?
Unless you are getting an oil change, speak to the tech about specific issues and if you can, point out where the issue is.

Make sure the service advisor writes up exactly what the issue is in the work order. They *all* assume you know nothing about your car (which is true 99% of the time for most customers), so they won't write it up specifically for the tech. If you are a car guy, you are doing them a big favor and saving a ton of time - but if you do, make REALLY sure the direction you give is correct.

Last edited by exE36M3; 02-14-2017 at 09:03 PM.
exE36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to exE36M3 For This Useful Post:
why? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #21
SLEEPER WRX

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Excuse me for being blunt - the lesson that should be learned here is also the mistake that is made over and over:

NEVER take your car to the dealership !!!

Here in the Bay Area we are blessed with so many automotive care facilities that specialize in the cars we have and employ enthusiasts who care about doing things right.
SLEEPER WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SLEEPER WRX For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-15-2017), finch1750 (02-16-2017), why? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #22
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Now that is some quality lurking there. Doesn't post for over 6 months and then comes out of the blue dropping knowledge bombs! That's why I like this guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER WRX View Post
Excuse me for being blunt - the lesson that should be learned here is also the mistake that is made over and over:

NEVER take your car to the dealership !!!

Here in the Bay Area we are blessed with so many automotive care facilities that specialize in the cars we have and employ enthusiasts who care about doing things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:40 AM   #23
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
My learnings from this?
Unless you are getting an oil change, speak to the tech about specific issues and if you can, point out where the issue is.

Make sure the service advisor writes up exactly what the issue is in the work order. They *all* assume you know nothing about your car (which is true 99% of the time for most customers), so they won't write it up specifically for the tech. If you are a car guy, you are doing them a big favor and saving a ton of time - but if you do, make REALLY sure the direction you give is correct.
Thisss. Waited 1.5 months for my appointment and my main reason for visiting is to fix a crunchy sounding window issue. Told them I'll get an oil change on the side. 2-3 hours later they changed my oil and "disregarded" the window problem until I asked. Then they tell me that they didn't hear anything so there was no attempt to fix it until I tried to show them personally. They managed to get oil splashes all over the manifold and plastic parts too, so maybe let someone else do that too lmaoo.
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #24
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
The dealership? Let's just say it's the one East Bay dealership with the lab.
I say that as I am familiar with search (I work in tech), and at this point, the guys are trying to be helpful. So I will withhold actual names to be fair to everyone involved.

I ended up going to the dealer today, ran the hell out of the car (think 3rd gear at 80mph) on the roadway and freeway to get the oil up to pressure - thus pushing oil out of any leak spots.

The tech then met me in the driveway of the dealership where he asked me what was up and I showed him top-side where the wiring, valve cover, and cat were wet with oil.

He said, AH got it. He took the car into the garage and onto a lift.
From there he spotted the oil leak off the valve cover, passenger side - splash tray removed.

The tech is going to clean the underside tonight, add an oil dye, and drive it home and back in the AM to see where the oil is coming out. He'll make recommendations from there, but he's guessing either the cam plate or valve cover from the looks of it. The dye will confirm. And if valve cover, they will drop the engine.

My frustration is down by about 7 points from the 9 it was when I posted this.
My 2 cents is that the communication from the service advisor to the tech wasn't in sync.
The tech said he and the master tech were looking on the wrong side of the motor - as instructed. So not sure how "the leak is coming from the passenger side" got miscommunicated into the driver side, but clearly it did.

At this point, I will assume they will fix the car.

My learnings from this?

I'm sorry but that is just blatant laziness. You pull the underpanel on this car, and you can see the ENTIRE engine.(unlike many BMW's that have a subframe blocking your view) Not knowing what side the leak "might" be on is just a poor excuse from a lazy tech. I sure as hell wouldn't want him driving my car home either.

Also, the engine does not need to come out for either the valve cover or the cam plate. You can even do the timing cover in the car. I really hope this dealer takes care of you still, but I'd really find another one after this for your warranty work.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
why? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
I'm sorry but that is just blatant laziness. You pull the underpanel on this car, and you can see the ENTIRE engine.(unlike many BMW's that have a subframe blocking your view) Not knowing what side the leak "might" be on is just a poor excuse from a lazy tech. I sure as hell wouldn't want him driving my car home either.

Also, the engine does not need to come out for either the valve cover or the cam plate. You can even do the timing cover in the car. I really hope this dealer takes care of you still, but I'd really find another one after this for your warranty work.
Cant get better advice than this. Best part about this forum is that you get real mechanics who know their stuff posting and debunking dealership techs. Ive heard and experienced so many horror stories that now when i hear a car has been "only taken to the dealership and dealership maintained" i immedietly think...i wonder whats wrong with the car?
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #26
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Cant get better advice than this. Best part about this forum is that you get real mechanics who know their stuff posting and debunking dealership techs. Ive heard and experienced so many horror stories that now when i hear a car has been "only taken to the dealership and dealership maintained" i immedietly think...i wonder whats wrong with the car?
The sad part is, there are a lot of great dealer techs. The dealerships just tend to screw up their reputation with poor communication and customer service. If you get lucky enough to find a tech at a dealer that listens to you and takes care of the car, stick with them. You can even go back to the dealer and always request that the same tech works on your car. We saw it all the time at Mercedes and would then typically have much happier customers.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
why? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #27
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
The sad part is, there are a lot of great dealer techs. The dealerships just tend to screw up their reputation with poor communication and customer service. If you get lucky enough to find a tech at a dealer that listens to you and takes care of the car, stick with them. You can even go back to the dealer and always request that the same tech works on your car. We saw it all the time at Mercedes and would then typically have much happier customers.
Yeah that is true. Communication always tends to be the big caveat. Whatever. I'm just happy i live close enough to The Racer's Line =D
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
exE36M3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
FWIW - I come from the BMW side and I gave up on dealer service A LONG time ago. At $250+/hour, you really want the job done right the first time. Independent shops will always offer better price, service, and diagnostic care.

However, given the car is STILL under warranty, I can't justify paying anyone for what can be done for free.
(Heck I got a kid ready to go to college, that should say a lot right there). Yes, as much as I enjoy the ferris wheel ride that is the diagnostic process at the dealer.

So the end result here is that Subaru put a dye in the oil as they can't find enough of a leak to justify warranty work. I'm just going to drive it around, watch the oil level, and the next "service" roll it in for my free-oil change and see if anything has progressed.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and war stories.
exE36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote