follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
Its a Toybaru not a irreplaceable classic or collector car.....seek help.
...but, but, what about the 10 Series?
Hanni_0176 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni_0176 For This Useful Post:
Missy (11-11-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
Steve201brz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnL View Post
  1. Is it in front of a bar? (to calculate the odds of drunken street pissing and/or hater vandalism)
  2. Does it smell like piss? (to calculate the odds of a homeless person pissing on it or sleeping next to it)
LMAO. The fear of piss is kinda funny. Thanks for instilling another concern...haha

I know for some people the criteria simply is, "find farthest parking spot from the store as possible." I really used to hate when my father did that to me...
Steve201brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, guilty of all of the above .....

It really aggrivates my wife when I park, then sit for a moment and then move to another spot. She will ask "what was wrong with that place?". My reply is usually ..... "it just didn't feel right" ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
504 (11-11-2013), dnL (10-09-2013), eddieEndo (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
nathanR

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@dnL

The amazing thing is that we probably both run all of those calculations in our brain in less than 5 seconds.
nathanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Holy fuck...

I'm a if it fits it's going in kinda guy... I've even parked my car on top of the sidewalk...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Did you turn this story in to your english teacher for a grade lol?

I do agree with most of the things you said though, however with Minivans, you have less chance of someone opening a door on your car since they have sliding doors ;-)

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
dnL (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Did you turn this story in to your english teacher for a grade lol?

I do agree with most of the things you said though, however with Minivans, you have less chance of someone opening a door on your car since they have sliding doors ;-)

Nick C.
But they have kids who would lean on your car and scratch your car with their action figures.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
But they have kids who would lean on your car and scratch your car with their action figures.

Nick C.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Nice write-up! My FR-S has never been left alone in a parking lot since it's only driven for leisure and not errands.

Additionally, I always make sure to park my DD's in a corner spot if the lot is really tight. Luckily I don't live in SF but I have been to neighborhoods where I needed to sandwich my car. Another thing is I have an older car...an 06 Corolla...that I can just park anywhere with minimal paranoia. My friends also understand that I'll pass an open spot if it's a small space.

There is a benefit to this though, which is it makes me more aware in parking lots. Circling lots for a few extra minutes definitely makes me used to cars who aren't looking while backing up, and people who pop out between cars. I feel that's important because a lot of mishaps do occur in parking lots, and those mishaps could have easily been avoided if the people were more aware.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
dnL (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #24
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnL View Post
I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to parking my car. I guess I'm lucky that the woman in my life puts up with it. I will pass up parking spaces in busy areas just because they're "not good enough". I'd like to share my paranoia with you all so that you can either 1) sympathize with me because you are the same, 2) realize how much more paranoid you need to be, or 3) have a good laugh.

I'm not just paranoid about the FR-S. I do it for every car I've owned, although I seem to get more paranoid with every passing year. I literally stress about the stress (and sadness) that I'll have to deal with if the car gets damaged.

When parking, I essentially do a mental rundown of this list when evaluating any parking spot:
  1. Is it on the corner of the block?
    1. How much space is there between the front/back of the car and the corner? (to calculate the odds of a bad driver whacking the car when turning)
    2. How much foot traffic is there at the intersection? (to calculate the odds of hater vandalism)
  2. Is it a tight spot in residential SF in between two driveways?
    1. Look at the two houses. Check time of day. Does it look like the cars will come out of the house or go in between now and when I leave? (to calculate the odds of the residents hitting my car on their way in/out. those spaces are tight!)
    2. Is the street wide enough to easily allow the sub-average driver to turn into the driveway without hitting the car?
  3. Does it have a meter with a bike locked to it? (to calculate the odds of the biker ramming the bike into the car)
  4. Is it between two cars, when parked parallel to the curb?
    1. What are the cars on both sides? Cars that have more to lose than I do?
    2. Do the bumpers of the cars to the front and back look trashed? (to calculate the odds of a bumper car driver)
    3. How tight is the spot? Based on a cursory, stereotyping glance of each car and the contents inside, how much faith do I have in their ability to control a moving vehicle?
    4. If it's on a hill, pay more attention to the one uphill.
  5. Is it between two cars, when parked parallel to the other cars?
    1. How much space is between my car and theirs? (to calculate the odds of them opening their door into my car)
    2. Based on stereotypes and prejudice, are the cars likely to be owned by courteous people or rude people?
    3. How straight did the two cars park? (to calculate the odds of them hitting my car on their way out of the spot)
    4. Do the cars look like family cars? e.g. vans, SUVs, kid stickers. (to calculate the odds of kids, with their limited strength and motor control, swinging the door too wide and hitting my car)
    5. Do the cars have a handicap placard/sticker? (to calculate the odds of a disabled person having difficulty opening the door with care)
    6. Are the cars Priuses? Cuz we all know they're terrible drivers/people, AMIRITE? Just kidding...
  6. Is it in front of a bar? (to calculate the odds of drunken street pissing and/or hater vandalism)
  7. Is it under a tree that has a lot of pollen or sap underneath it? (to calculate the odds of having to clean my car afterwards)
  8. Does it have a lot of bird poop on it?
  9. Is it in a garage?
    1. Is it in a well lit area? (to calculate the odds of burglary)
    2. Is it visible from the main pedestrian area, such as the elevator? (to calculate the odds of burglary)
    3. Does it smell like piss? (to calculate the odds of a homeless person pissing on it or sleeping next to it)
  10. Is it next to a shopping cart collecting area? (to calculate the odds of someone throwing the cart at the rails and missing)
This actually took longer to write and think about than I thought it would... so I'm just gonna stop there. I'm sure I left out some stuff, but I'm too tired now. Are any of you as paranoid as I am? Maybe worse?

LOL!!!!!! Everytime I park I take a picture of the cars near my car
Old 10-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #25
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Nice write-up! My FR-S has never been left alone in a parking lot since it's only driven for leisure and not errands.

Additionally, I always make sure to park my DD's in a corner spot if the lot is really tight. Luckily I don't live in SF but I have been to neighborhoods where I needed to sandwich my car. Another thing is I have an older car...an 06 Corolla...that I can just park anywhere with minimal paranoia. My friends also understand that I'll pass an open spot if it's a small space.

There is a benefit to this though, which is it makes me more aware in parking lots. Circling lots for a few extra minutes definitely makes me used to cars who aren't looking while backing up, and people who pop out between cars. I feel that's important because a lot of mishaps do occur in parking lots, and those mishaps could have easily been avoided if the people were more aware.
Corner spots FTW

Nick C.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I simply don't park in public places by choice. When I'm forced to, I will only park in spaces the allow me to have nothing on one side of the car so I can push the edge of the space. I will also go to appointments early (especially to the VA) to be able to park. I simply refuse to allow some dumbass the opportunity to ding my car.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
People .... apparently alot of owners are very stressed where to park. I get it. I also go through a very short list of where to park to prevent door dings. It's a very short list. But seriously .... I usually park where it is convenient. I don't stress over what other people do because ultimately .... you can't control that. I used to park in the far reaches of a parking lot only to come out and there would be another car parked right next to me.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
Luis_GT (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
Lokki

Drives: 2013 BRZ, Galaxy Blue, Manual trans
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I haven't got my haircut since I bought my BRZ because the parking spots are too narrow on my Barbers lot. I'm either gonna need to find a new barber or get over my fear because I'm starting to look like a hippie.

Lokki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Lokki is offline   Reply With Quote