follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #15
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tracks like Grange and Adams require far more technical experience then lets say an open pad where even new drifters would be sketchy on. I am looking for a cheaper/safer pad to test on, think private airports. I am trying to work with (Brackett Airport) http://www.baapoc.com/index.html to gain access for AutoX/drifting, they have HUGE concrete space unused at the moment and rent out unused hangers + area. Note the red selected areas -

At any moderate speed if you lose it at Grange your going to hit soft dirt (by by aero), then hay/tires and then the wall. The track at both Grange and Adams isn't safe to even pass while racing let alone working on how to drift. It's simply no wide enough for a new drifter.

This was Saturday @ Grange -
Mind you Devyn Bloch has tons of exp drifting and has a dedicated car.

I have 2 years worth of time on a track, both driving, flagging and doing safety. Our #1 rule is NO passing, why? New drivers can be unpredictable at best. They get tunnel vision and think its Need For Speed. I get it, your amped up and excited, its just to dangerous.
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chronology For This Useful Post:
e_lunatic (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #16
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Garage
@Chronology

the airport seems like a great idea, let me know if i can help in anyway to get that going. as much as I have my spots were I can do some sliding and not be in danger of hitting anyone else, I always wonder when the random cop will come by and write me up a ticket (or worse) and it always dulls the fun a bit. would be nice to get a spot that isnt so far away like Balcony and not as much of a cluster F as Adams
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e_lunatic For This Useful Post:
ironsurfer129 (07-26-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #17
bryanttttttta

Drives:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW0k9Alc2II"]Slide Factory - Grange Motor Circuit by 6th Element - YouTube[/ame]

Grange is a pretty safe track for beginners. Please take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt.

Here's my opinion and my experience. Grange was my first track every and it's mainly a 2nd gear track going 40-45 on the turns. Nothing too crazy and there are a lot of run off spaces. There are a couple of turns near walls that you want to avoid until you're comfortable. Again, I want to emphasize that this was my first track I ever went to and it's pretty safe. You'll be able to learn how your car handles (oversteer, understeer, racing lines) at speeds around 40-50mph. Nothing too crazy. You're already driving 25 in a residential neighborhood right?

Balcony at Willow Springs International Raceway is also a great place to learn drifting. It's a big skidpad like a parking lot. It's super safe to drift there if you stay in the middle of the track. This is where I practice 65+mph entries without the fear of hitting into any ways.

My personal opinion is to rotate between Grange and Balcony and just get out there and practice. It's obvious, but the more practice you get, the better you'll be at drifting. By practicing, I don't mean street drifting. When you street drift, you're probably only drifting or doing donuts for 5 mins tops before you have to scatter from the site. It's so much better to have consistent runs and practice and feedback at a track day.

After Balcony, and Grange, you can wear your big boy pants and try out Horse Thief Mile at Willow Springs International Raceway (honestly it's intimidating, but not bad at all).

Co-Founder of SlideFactoryInc Grip/Drift Events
www.slidefactory.org
bryanttttttta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:32 PM   #18
bryanttttttta

Drives:
Name:  small website.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  366.4 KB

The next drift event is up!
Practice dynamic car control and the excitement on every corner. Try something new an exciting!

Register now at www.slidefactory.org

www.slidefactory.org
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #19
bryanttttttta

Drives:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr39S8OzWn4&t"]Grange Black Friday Drift Recap 11/24 - YouTube[/ame]

Next event Jan 20, 2018
www.slidefactory.org

It's a great place to learn and is pretty safe. There will be a track instructor giving out free basic instruction.

www.slidefactory.org