follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

Drives: boosted scion tc.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
I think theres some confusion here in OPs post, Performance Brand or Performance Line? which i think are two different things.

like OP's post it should be like this;
Performance Brand:
Audi - ????
Nissan - Nismo
BMW - M GmbH
Honda - ????
Volkswagon - ????
Mazda - Mazdaspeed
Subaru - STi
Toyota - TRD
Mitsubishi - RallyArt
Mercedes Benz - AMG

Performance Line:
Audi - "R"
VW - ????
Nissan - Tune-(x) or Spec-(x)
BMW - M
Honda - Type R
Subaru - STi
Toyota - GTS??
Mitsubishi - Ralliart
Mazda - MPS/Mazdaspeed

or maybe iv lost tons of braincells this past month from all the holiday eating and drinking
You forgot S-Line for Audi
Mugen for Honda
volkswagen uses R for both inhouse tuner and performance.
AWE does a lot of in house work for audi dunno if it's an official relationship though.
Syldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Mugen is not a inhouse tuning shop for Honda, Its just as third party is as spoon. Much like Dinan is to BMW.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

Quote:
Mugen is not a inhouse tuning shop for Honda, Its just as third party is as spoon. Much like Dinan is to BMW.
i guess i was considering a in house tuning company with a close relationship with the manufacture.

AWE would fall under this catagory too. Audi has their S/RS cars as well. so that is their sports car division really.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syldrin View Post
i guess i was considering a in house tuning company with a close relationship with the manufacture.
ahh yeah...see that makes things kinda complicated when a shop has close relationships with a manufacturer. If we were considering this..then we have a shit load of names to add to the list. Like 5axis is to Scion.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

Quote:
ahh yeah...see that makes things kinda complicated when a shop has close relationships with a manufacturer. If we were considering this..then we have a shit load of names to add to the list. Like 5axis is to Scion.
touche my friend touche.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
wasnt mugen started by honda's son? officially they may be 3rd party, but in spirit they are not.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #21
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
wasnt mugen started by honda's son? officially they may be 3rd party, but in spirit they are not.
Quote:
Mugen Motorsports (M-TEC Co., Ltd) (無限) is a Japanese company formed in 1973 by Hirotoshi Honda, the son of Honda Motor Company founder Soichiro Honda,
yeah

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #22
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
All the different brands started from GM's separation of their marques, and look where that ended up. With branding comes exclusivity, and with exclusivity comes cost. I'm all for performance cars, but I don't think it's necessary to treat them differently. It could even work in that company's favor to do away with performance branding.

Right now Lexus has their F line to compete (I guess) with BMW's M line. If it were the same car, but let's just call it IS 500, you could then say that a vanilla Lexus was able to compete with the holy grail M line. I think that would raise the perceived reputation of their entire lineup and lower cost. The downside being that you lose all exclusivity and the type of customer that only cares about his car as a status symbol would no longer find value in your product.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #23
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
What the fuck.... I know many of you guys are only exposed to the bullshit that TRD USA does but... TRD is a revered (albeit expen$ive) performance name brand in many parts of the world.

Technocraft (TRD japan)
TTE (no longer active, was TRD Europe > TTE > Toyota F1 >Toyota motorsports)
TRD Australia (Actually made TRD branded vehicles....)

And Lexus has the F sport line and the F performance vehicles.. what else exactly does Toyota "need" ?

TRD is to Mopar is to SVT is to SRT is to Nismo is to Mazdaspeed etc. etc. etc. If anything could be said, is that TRD USA needs to get their act together in terms of consumer products (can't really criticize them of the racing bit... they do a shit ton of excellent work in the professional motorsports arena).

p.d. TOM's and SARD share a similar relationship to Toyota as do Spoon & Mugen to Honda.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #24
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
What the fuck.... I know many of you guys are only exposed to the bullshit that TRD USA does but... TRD is a revered (albeit expen$ive) performance name brand in many parts of the world.

Technocraft (TRD japan)
TTE (no longer active, was TRD Europe > TTE > Toyota F1 >Toyota motorsports)
TRD Australia (Actually made TRD branded vehicles....)

And Lexus has the F sport line and the F performance vehicles.. what else exactly does Toyota "need" ?

TRD is to Mopar is to SVT is to SRT is to Nismo is to Mazdaspeed etc. etc. etc. If anything could be said, is that TRD USA needs to get their act together in terms of consumer products (can't really criticize them of the racing bit... they do a shit ton of excellent work in the professional motorsports arena).

p.d. TOM's and SARD share a similar relationship to Toyota as do Spoon & Mugen to Honda.
Tom's and SARD make some awesome IS parts I hope they get ahold of this vehicle

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #25
random

Drives: Multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFman View Post
BMW has ///M
Audi has S
Volkswagen has GTi
Honda has Type R
Nissan has Spec-V

What does Toyota have? Should Toyota get a high performance brand under their name? If Toyota was going to make a high performance version of this car what should it be called? I don't think G-Sports works well. It seems like a aftermarket brand like TRD. What I think they need is a brand like Type R where various models have R versions like
Yaris R
Corolla R
GT86 R
Supra R

All of the different models are nessescary in my opinion because you can't build a brand like that with just dedicated sports cars, you need to make a brand people can identify with preformance. What do you think?
I found your examples way too confusing. I think what you're looking for is the equivalent of the 'M' division for BMW, and the AMG division for Mercedes Benz. These are all well recognized brands, and they produce a line of vehicles based on existing models. Both are wholly own subsidiaries of their respective parent companies. Also, Audi has Quattro GmbH, while VW has its R division.

I think the closest Toyota has is the TRD brand or the 'F' under Lexus. Perhaps TRD should just be marketed like AMG, so you could have a Scion FR-S TRD.

Personally, I don't think Toyota should do this until they have a couple of more performance models of existing vehicles. Otherwise, having a single vehicle and calling it a special "TRD" seems empty.
random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #26
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
I don't think Toyota has spent enough time developing a performance oriented car in their lineup. It takes a lot of time build a performance brand and to gain the trust of their consumers; it just doesn't happen overnight.

Look at Honda and their Type-R brand. It started in ~1991 when they introduced their first NSX Type-R. Over time, Honda built the performance brand that everyone would trust. The ironic thing is that Honda is now starting to kill the Type-R brand. I believe they currently sell one Type-R and that's the Euro Civic.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #27
Navi

Drives: Peugeot RCZ EP7 4E-FTE Ford ST150
Send a message via MSN to Navi
Toyota has T-Sport, TTE and TRD.

Enough?
2010 Peugeot RCZ - Current
Visit: http://www.4agte.nl
Navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #28
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
To understand this we should make the difference between a BRAND and a MARKETING BADGE. To answer to the question, Toyota does have a PERFORMANCE BRAND that is called TRD. Whether is has a MARKETING BADGE is another thing, I can't really answer this question. For example Audi Exclusive, Audi S-Line, Audi S and Audi RS are made by Quattro Gmbh, a sub-department of Audi. BMW Individual, BMW M Line and BMW M are made by BMW's sub-department, M GmbH. However in future BMW M and BMW i will be two stand alone sub-brands of BMW. And Mercedes markets its performance range under AMG GmbH.
Now to see what provokes confusion, take a look at the list of MARKETING BADGES, note, most badges are covered by only one brand. Surprisingly Lexus is the best example.

Main Brand:
Lexus (= BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Honda, Subaru, Renault...)

Sub-Performance "Brand":
Lexus F Sport (= Audi S, VW GTI, Honda Type-S, Renault GT...)

Performance Brand:
Lexus F (= Audi RS, BMW M, VW R, Honda Type-R, Mercdes AMG, Subaru STI, Renault RS...)

Ultra-High Performance "Brand":
Lexus F ??? (LFA NRE, but no MARKETING NAME yet)(= BMW M CSL/GTS/CRT, Mercdes AMG Black Series, Subaru STI Spec,...)

Performance Line:
Lexus F-Line (= Audi S-Line, VW R-Line,...)

In-House Tuning Brand/Line:
Lexus TRD (= Honda Mugen, Nissan Nismo,...)

In-House Racing Brand/Line:
Lexus Gazoo (= BMW Motorpsort,...)

Aftermarket Tuning Brand:
Just aftermaket than specialize on some brands and are not affiliated in any way to the main brand even if sometimes relation can be created. Examples: Wald, Amuse, Brabus, G-Power, AC Schnitzer, MTM,...

I hope this helped.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote