follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
SubiePig

Drives: -'02 PSM WRX, '94 Miata, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51300
It seems stock muffler is not enough to keep rasp down with aftermarket header and/or FP?
Its not that bad, I actually kinda like it. Best way I can describe it is kinda like the stock E46 M3 but rumbly.

Sponsered by:Chasebays/Corr Performance Tuning/KartBoy/Bad Panda Motorsports/Racer-X Fabrication
STX Build thread 14th/67 SCCA Nationals (2014)
SubiePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
no chrome
She said member

Drives: fr-s firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have borla uel with catless front pipe and openflash stg2. Everything else is stock, I love the sound.

Somewhat raspy but no drone. Definitely noticeable but not super loud
Cold start is louder than I would like, it can be quieted down a bit with more tuning
no chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
Those guys are supercharged. 50% more power means 50% more exhaust, which the muffler mustn't be able to handle.

That said, I had the same sc, but never had that problem.
We are not getting 50% more power/flow on cold start or throttle blip...

Rasp shouldn't be as bad as mine since you have the stock OP and DP. Tune also has something to do with it. If ya open the exhaust valve up sooner or if your ignition timing is more retarded then I think you'll get more combustion sound into the exhaust. I'll post a video later.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
For anyone thinking of doing this, you want to be sure to get headers that are designed for this purpose.

You don't want to get headers that are made for a 60mm or 65mm system, because then they go into the stock 54mm oem exhaust, and you end up with a 3mm 'ring' that will cause turbulence.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I ordered the JDL UEL header a week ago. The rest of the exhaust and intake will stay stock. It will get a tune of course.

I just want to get rid of as much of the torque dip as possible. I don't really even care about any gains up top. I also want to keep things quiet
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
All the aftermarket header/stock everything else setups I hear are hella raspy

yo
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Quote:
I'm thinking about replacing the headers only, seeing as header back exhausts are showing v.little gain (unless they're being tuned in which case you can't really say if the exhaust is the source of the gain, or the tune is)

Has anyone else thought about doing this?
Your wrong. Look at Perrins Blog with a header back system, tune and intake they got 31 whp. I would probably get a Header/front/over pipe/axle back or just a header back system as I dont like how loud n raspy headers make an exhaust.

I would like to see a 2.5 inch perrin exhaust w/ front/over pipe and a catted header to see how that sounds. The 3 inch system seems like it would be really loud with headers.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
diss7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
Your wrong. Look at Perrins Blog with a header back system, tune and intake they got 31 whp. I would probably get a Header/front/over pipe/axle back or just a header back system as I dont like how loud n raspy headers make an exhaust.

I would like to see a 2.5 inch perrin exhaust w/ front/over pipe and a catted header to see how that sounds. The 3 inch system seems like it would be really loud with headers.
Did they try with header only, intake and tune?
Otherwise, putting the gain down to the header back is misguided.

You can see how little most header backs do for an NA build, by how little the gains are.

Sure, there's always good gains when there is a custom tune applied, the same applies to an full stock exhaust with a tune.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #23
FR-Sizzle

Quote:
Did they try with header only, intake and tune?
Otherwise, putting the gain down to the header back is misguided.

You can see how little most header backs do for an NA build, by how little the gains are.

Sure, there's always good gains when there is a custom tune applied, the same applies to an full stock exhaust with a tune.
31 whp is little gain? That is a good amount for just a header back/intake/tune. More than enough for many people who plan to stay NA or just want to do bolt ons.

If you get all the bolt ons and dont get a tune your doing it wrong. A tune is the best mod you can do that gives you the best gains. It should be the first mod you do IMO. It helps with gas and will pay for it self over time. So the earlier you do it the better. If I had to spend 1000 dollars on anything it would be a tune and probably an intake duct/drop in filter if theres enough left over.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #24
diss7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
31 whp is little gain? That is a good amount for just a header back/intake/tune. More than enough for many people who plan to stay NA or just want to do bolt ons.

If you get all the bolt ons and dont get a tune your doing it wrong. A tune is the best mod you can do that gives you the best gains. It should be the first mod you do IMO. It helps with gas and will pay for it self over time. So the earlier you do it the better. If I had to spend 1000 dollars on anything it would be a tune and probably an intake duct/drop in filter if theres enough left over.
Re-read my post, specifically the first and second sentences.

Then, before you post, re-read them again.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #25
fstlane

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm running a Borla UEL catless header, OFT tune, drop in filter and a modified intake snorkel. This combo will reduce the torque dip and provide close to the maximum horsepower you can expect to achive out of this motor unless you go FI. I could spend twice the $1100 amount to replace the remaining exhaust components which would likely produce negligible performance gains. Doing so would also have the potential of creating additional problems such as fitment issues, drone and rasp depending on the exhaust components chosen.

I actually enjoy the sound of this header only setup. It's fairly quiet, not raspy and has a little boxer rumble under heavy acceleration. The wife and neighbors approve and it doesn't attract unwanted attention from police. However, I'm old and this is my commuter car. Maybe someday I'll install an axle back for a little more rumble and weight loss but for now I just slapped on a couple of Vibrant exhaust tips and called it a day.

OP, I feel a catless header only is a great upgrade path providing you combine a tune with it. The performance bang for your buck ratio is pretty good.
fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fstlane For This Useful Post:
diss7 (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
jordanrw260

Drives: Dark Grey Metallic 2013 BRZ
Garage
At least do this - Header + Overpipe + Front Pipe with HFC or without
Old 11-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #27
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Have you abandoned the light weight goals?

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #28
FR-Sizzle

Quote:
Re-read my post, specifically the first and second sentences.

Then, before you post, re-read them again.
If your gonna say headerback with no tune I could understand but you dont even mention that. Anyone who has a header back and basic bolt ons I would assume already has a tune. Almost everyone who has a header back has a tune.