follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #15
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
The rear bar on a 2017 car is already 16mm.

I would go with a slightly larger front bar on a totally stock car, personally.
Didn't realize that thanks for clarifying
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:40 AM   #16
Menashe123

Drives: Facelifted brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dont want to use larger front sway bar because it will increase the understeery behavior of the car.
I want the opposite effect, to increase oversteer a bit, and to give the car a more solid feel and less body roll.
I will also be happy to hear you opinion about the alignment, negative camber of the front wheels with the bolts set to -2 while leaving the rear wheels stock, what effect it will have on the car?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
Menashe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #17
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menashe123 View Post
I dont want to use larger front sway bar because it will increase the understeery behavior of the car.
I want the opposite effect, to increase oversteer a bit, and to give the car a more solid feel and less body roll.
I will also be happy to hear you opinion about the alignment, negative camber of the front wheels with the bolts set to -2 while leaving the rear wheels stock, what effect it will have on the car?

If you install larger front and rear sway bars, then you can balance how much oversteer you want. You have different mount points on the bar and you can play with the stifness. Personally, I like the beatrush front and rear sway bars. They are a bit larger (+1mm) and you can use the factory bushings and mount points. They 'll give a more solid feel because the bushings will be tighter and additionally less body roll because of the increased stifness (~ 124% stiffer).
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #18
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I drive the car for daily, track and in mountain roads. I want from the car to feel better, yesterday i was on the track, and find the body roll make me harder to go back from drift smoothly. I want flat feel under weight transfer, and to make the car more relevant and fun on the track. I want the fun and feels, the drama and a bit more oversteer more than times and speed. To get this i thought to pick some good and qualified springs (bit stiffer at tge rear) that good to work with stock shocks because i dont want to pay for coilovers right now.
Springs are comprmise for me because as daily drive i find it better to drive higher car...
Thanks for all comments, if u think springs are tge solution for me i will ve happy to hear which specificly
For the alignment, if i will go with -2 camber before and leave the rear stock it will work good together?

What do you mean by "go back from drift smoothly"? Increasing roll stiffness increases the speed of weight transfer, but not the amount. If you're finding it hard to straighten out after a drift without having a mini tank slapper then you might actually want LESS roll stiffness so that the transition is slower and less dramatic.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #19
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
If you install larger front and rear sway bars, then you can balance how much oversteer you want. You have different mount points on the bar and you can play with the stifness. Personally, I like the beatrush front and rear sway bars. They are a bit larger (+1mm) and you can use the factory bushings and mount points. They 'll give a more solid feel because the bushings will be tighter and additionally less body roll because of the increased stifness (~ 124% stiffer).
I think you mean about 24% stiffer.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #20
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
What's the problem with body roll?
In short, dynamic camber loss for wheel angle camber loss from the body moving (top of the strut) relative to the ground.

In long, https://nasaspeed.news/tech/suspensi...spension-cars/
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #21
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
I think you mean about 24% stiffer.
Yes.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #22
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
In short, dynamic camber loss for wheel angle camber loss from the body moving (top of the strut) relative to the ground.

In long, https://nasaspeed.news/tech/suspensi...spension-cars/
I get that body roll can be a problem but that doesn't mean it is a problem. I almost alluded to the fact that a front sway can help grip but it sucks to type on a phone. I just think body roll is important. The reasoning for getting rid of roll would also mean that suspension in general is bad since it's the only reason the top of the strut changes position with respect to the ground.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #23
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

I guess I am confused as to exactly what you are looking for. You said you want "the fun and the feels and drama" in an earlier post. Then in another, better turn-in, less body roll, and more oversteer.

Well, the fun and the feels and drama comes from body roll and general car playful'ness due to the softer stock setup. If you want that behavior, leave it stock IMO. These cars should not be understeering in stock configuration at all, so I'm kind of wondering why you seem to be experiencing that.

Adding negative camber is an easy thing to do and will accomplish just what cjd said.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #24
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Swaybar should be a fine tuning element in handling modifications. Tires first, it'll give you the greatest improvement in handling per dollar if you get proper summer tires.

Again, can't stress this enough, it helps with your cornering, your stopping distance, and off the line acceleration. For this car stock, it will give the most gains as far as handling is concerned.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #25
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
just think body roll is important. The reasoning for getting rid of roll would also mean that suspension in general is bad since it's the only reason the top of the strut changes position with respect to the ground.

... I don't think you understand how the camber curve for this MacPherson suspension works. This isn't a dual A-arm type.

Also, adequate suspension stroke is important. In an ideal world, I don't see a scenario where body roll is ever important.

The suspension isn't bad. It is purpose built. You haven't defined what purpose you want, as all implementations are a compromise, period.

There is no `one perfect suspension`. If there was, we would have pointed you to a FAQ.

Also "on a phone".... really?

Last edited by dowroa; 01-29-2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: suspension stroke is important. I am dumb.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #26
fatoni

Quote:
... I don't think you understand how the camber curve for this MacPherson suspension works. This isn't a dual A-arm type.

Also, adequate suspension stroke is not important. In an ideal world, I don't see a scenario where body roll is ever important.

The suspension isn't bad. It is purpose built. You haven't defined what purpose you want, as all implementations are a compromise, period.

There is no `one perfect suspension`. If there was, we would have pointed you to a FAQ.

Also "on a phone".... really?
I know how it works. I'm probably just not making my point clear enough. Body roll is a byproduct of having suspension. Basically every car has suspension and so it has body roll. You could get rid of it but as you said it's a compromise, so that may or may not be better for the car.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #27
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
I know how it works. I'm probably just not making my point clear enough. Body roll is a byproduct of having suspension. Basically every car has suspension and so it has body roll. You could get rid of it but as you said it's a compromise, so that may or may not be better for the car.

Honestly, I don't think you do from your descriptions.

What do you want? Describe it one bullet point at a time. Else, follow @cjd's advice.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #28
fatoni

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think you do from your descriptions.

What do you want? Describe it one bullet point at a time. Else, follow @cjd's advice.
I just wanted to know why he wanted to get rid of body roll