follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 AM   #15
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
What's that off of? That slays for visibility. I do not like the stock mirrors and Rexspeed seems to be the goto - however - that mirror makes it look silly.
I found that pic off this page you can read the explanation:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/bl...a5-jetta-golf/

I used to have this for my Golf GTI, it's what German cars come stock from the factory in Europe / RoW. It allows you to change lanes to the driver side amazingly fast without the need to shoulder check (imagine merging into the fast lane on the Autobahn with cars going 200km/h+). The passenger side mirror is already convex (some people buy the UK market driver side mirror to put on the right side, I didn't).

Here in Canada, the only Japanese car I've seen that is equipped with this stock is the new Honda CRV, and Saab used to come with this here as well. The driver side mirror on the new Fords seems ghetto to me (they use the top left corner like those stick-ons).

The electronic blind spot indicator is not all that effective as I've almost gotten hit by SUVs equipped with this system a few times already (I had to honk at them hard).

Those Rexpeeds look interesting, but the blue tint (like old Bimmers) may get a little hard to see during heavy rain, and there's no dotted warning line to indicate the blind spot area.

Last edited by krayzie; 07-29-2014 at 06:05 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 AM   #16
go2brz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My wife has a new 2015 Audi A3 with side assist lights in the mirror housing. I find it to be a nice helpful addition, but I have to agree that if you adjust your mirrors on the BRZ properly further out so that you don't see any of the side of the car, the blind spot is revealed quite well. Then adding a backup camera for while in revese completes the entire big picture of overcoming the blind spots in this car.
go2brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 AM   #17
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2brz View Post
My wife has a new 2015 Audi A3 with side assist lights in the mirror housing. I find it to be a nice helpful addition, but I have to agree that if you adjust your mirrors on the BRZ properly further out so that you don't see any of the side of the car, the blind spot is revealed quite well. Then adding a backup camera for while in revese completes the entire big picture of overcoming the blind spots in this car.
Yeah I get that. Here is my thinking - though. If I mount the leds close to my dash and where I am looking out the window, it may warn me before I even look out the mirror keeping my eyes forward and letting me know a bit more about what to expect when I go to the mirrors.

Anyway - I am in the tech biz and I like tech so these appeal to me as an additional visual aid. That said - I don't like my rear view mirror and am thinking of getting a rimless JDM model I have been looking at. So - don't expect logic in my taste.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 AM   #18
go2brz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Whatever works for you is what's important. It was just a comment. I have no set notions on what is right or logical for anybody else but me.......
go2brz is offline   Reply With Quote