follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #2675
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

In the meantime...what do I do about the pulsing? Will a bed-in process shave it nicely and lay on a new, even layer of material on the rotor surface? If it's just pad material, it seems to me I only need to do that to fix this for now (while I work on another solution for the next track day).

Also, this is the first track day I ran the Titanium shims. My guess is they are doing more harm than good by trapping the heat in the pads. Toss them?

EDIT: Also, for anyone NOT doing the "pedal dance"...DO IT. I refused to do it for the first session at RA thinking it wasn't necessary. But during the first session, going down the hill into turn 5, I found out quickly that just having it off by holding the button down is no good. That bumpy hill when being hard on the brakes kept making the stability control flash at me, and every time it did it the back end kept wanting to come right around. Not a great feeling. Doing the pedal dance changed everything, it was consistent, predictable, etc.
It's most likely an uneven deposit/transfer. If you keep driving, it'll go away.

Pads also pulse when they're badly faded on track.

If you REALLY want to, you can take your rotors off, take it to your local auto parts store, and have them turned (lathed) so that the surface is flat again, but IMO, it's not necessary unless the pulsing is unbearable.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #2676
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It's most likely an uneven deposit/transfer. If you keep driving, it'll go away.

Pads also pulse when they're badly faded on track.

If you REALLY want to, you can take your rotors off, take it to your local auto parts store, and have them turned (lathed) so that the surface is flat again, but IMO, it's not necessary unless the pulsing is unbearable.
It's not that bad, I'll let it sort itself out. Thanks.
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #2677
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
Also, this is the first track day I ran the Titanium shims. My guess is they are doing more harm than good by trapping the heat in the pads. Toss them?
The shims act as a heat shield between the pads (heat source) and the fluid, to keep your fluid from boiling and becoming useless. This is a little bit less easy to fix trackside than replacing pads is. You want the heat to go from the pads to the rotors, because the rotors are a bigger heat sink and have vanes designed to dissipate that heat. The brake fluid does not.

Some people say they make a huge difference, others say they've not done anything worthwhile for their brakes. Since you already have them, there probably isn't any harm in leaving them in.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #2678
YouShallKnow

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
Hey Mike,

After switching to xp10/xp8 for pads I'm starting to consider my options for when my stock rotors give out.

I track the car but only for time trials, so the most I've ever done is around 7-8 laps.

The question is, should I upgrade the rotors and keep the stock calipers with racing pads for track duty and OEM/OEM+ pads for street duty (W1 right now), or should I bite the bullet and just go BBK.

I ask because it seems like the stock rotors do such a good job with racing pads, a BBK might be unnecessary.

I've seen you recommend a BBK as a cost saving measure long-term since pads are cheaper and rotors wear less. Is that the main reason to upgrade or does a BBK really improve braking enough to justify the investment?

I missed you guys at the last couple 86 cup events, but I'll see you at Laguna Seca!!! Can't wait.
YouShallKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YouShallKnow For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (05-05-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #2679
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShallKnow View Post
Hey Mike,

After switching to xp10/xp8 for pads I'm starting to consider my options for when my stock rotors give out.

I track the car but only for time trials, so the most I've ever done is around 7-8 laps.

The question is, should I upgrade the rotors and keep the stock calipers with racing pads for track duty and OEM/OEM+ pads for street duty (W1 right now), or should I bite the bullet and just go BBK.

I ask because it seems like the stock rotors do such a good job with racing pads, a BBK might be unnecessary.

I've seen you recommend a BBK as a cost saving measure long-term since pads are cheaper and rotors wear less. Is that the main reason to upgrade or does a BBK really improve braking enough to justify the investment?

I missed you guys at the last couple 86 cup events, but I'll see you at Laguna Seca!!! Can't wait.

A BBK also reduces unsprung weight and rotating mass, so you WILL get a small performance improvement, but it's not a good return per dollar spent in that area. You'd get a larger improvement with light wheels for less money.

How many days are you currently getting out of your pads?

I highly recommend you go to a square pad setup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
YouShallKnow (05-05-2015), ZionsWrath (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #2680
YouShallKnow

Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
Quote:
A BBK also reduces unsprung weight and rotating mass, so you WILL get a small performance improvement, but it's not a good return per dollar spent in that area. You'd get a larger improvement with light wheels for less money.

First day I used them almost had no wear at all, second time I used them was Sunday at chuckwalla and I went through about 1 mm per pad is all. But I only did about 14 laps all day.

This is my first set of track only pads. At this rate they'll last quite a while.

If I'm braking well they should only last about 3 track days right?

Also, what's the concern about running less aggressive rear pads? Does it shift the bias to the front too much? I haven't had any issues, but then again I'm not braking like the big boys yet.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #2681
CSG Mike

Quote:
First day I used them almost had no wear at all, second time I used them was Sunday at chuckwalla and I went through about 1 mm per pad is all. But I only did about 14 laps all day.

This is my first set of track only pads. At this rate they'll last quite a while.

If I'm braking well they should only last about 3 track days right?

Also, what's the concern about running less aggressive rear pads? Does it shift the bias to the front too much? I haven't had any issues, but then again I'm not braking like the big boys yet.
You nailed it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
YouShallKnow (05-05-2015), ZionsWrath (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #2682
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Check your time trial rules as well. Sprint kit may cost you points.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #2683
YouShallKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Check your time trial rules as well. Sprint kit may cost you points.
Bbks are free in the 86 Cup! But I should probably get the most out of my stock setup before I shell out $2,500.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #2684
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Bbks are free in the 86 Cup! But I should probably get the most out of my stock setup before I shell out $250.
I would like an 86 cup on east coast, for now im just trying to get seat time and learn the local tracks

I have sprint kit and after 5 days I still got a ton of pad left on my XP10 pads. I used more than half XP10 on stock caliper in 2 days before that. I'm just HPDE novice though, not done any TT or even data logging. Soon
Old 05-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #2685
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I would like an 86 cup on east coast, for now im just trying to get seat time and learn the local tracks

I have sprint kit and after 5 days I still got a ton of pad left on my XP10 pads. I used more than half XP10 on stock caliper in 2 days before that. I'm just HPDE novice though, not done any TT or even data logging. Soon
Want to organize one in your area? The license for the rules and name are free to anyone willing to organize a local series.

I won't lie; it's a lot of work.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #2686
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yeah the real reason to use a good BBK like the Sprint kit is to reduce consumable cost and gain lifetime on the pads and rotors more so than any performance improvement (beyond fade resistance/heat capacity).

I'll be back in 6 months to check for replies
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-06-2015), YouShallKnow (05-08-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 02:39 AM   #2687
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Yeah the real reason to use a good BBK like the Sprint kit is to reduce consumable cost and gain lifetime on the pads and rotors more so than any performance improvement (beyond fade resistance/heat capacity).

HE'S ALIVE!
Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #2688
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post

You selling that BRZ for $10k yet? I will throw a new battery in it.