follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 02-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #2521
car_roll

Drives: Nuisance BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Stock...
Are all tires above that treadwear really that bad? Trying to base my car off GTA enthusiast class specs...
car_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #2522
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Achilles 123 are UTQG 220 I think. Pilot Super Sports are UTQG 300, and cheaper than Primacys.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juliog For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #2523
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_roll View Post
Are all tires above that treadwear really that bad? Trying to base my car off GTA enthusiast class specs...
I never drove my Primacies on track, but from what I've heard they are actually pretty good once you get them warm.

I would avoid the Michelin PSS if you are looking to use them on track; the center wet compound greases out pretty quickly so you need to be careful about how use use them. That said, they are a fantastic tire if you aren't looking to heat them up too much.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #2524
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
I never drove my Primacies on track, but from what I've heard they are actually pretty good once you get them warm.

I would avoid the Michelin PSS if you are looking to use them on track; the center wet compound greases out pretty quickly so you need to be careful about how use use them. That said, they are a fantastic tire if you aren't looking to heat them up too much.
You can only warm them up slightly, but their heat range is very small. Like the PSS, they will grease out and chunk. Maintaining temperature is key to success.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #2525
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
The stock tires are terrible on track IMO.

The PSS are a great combo tire between street and track but like David said, you need to maintain control and not overheat them by scrubbing speed with the tires.

I ran PSS on my 2011 STi for a season of track and 2 years on the street. IMO they were more than adequate and I run in the Instructor/Advanced groups at HPDE. They also have great longevity as I put about 20K miles including a season of HPDE on them and no real signs of wear other than the usual evidence of tracking them.

If you are overheating your tires on track you should consider running smoother as that will make you faster and wear your tires less

-mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #2526
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
The stock tires are terrible on track IMO.

The PSS are a great combo tire between street and track but like David said, you need to maintain control and not overheat them by scrubbing speed with the tires.

I ran PSS on my 2011 STi for a season of track and 2 years on the street. IMO they were more than adequate and I run in the Instructor/Advanced groups at HPDE. They also have great longevity as I put about 20K miles including a season of HPDE on them and no real signs of wear other than the usual evidence of tracking them.

If you are overheating your tires on track you should consider running smoother as that will make you faster and wear your tires less

-mike
In 100+ weather the PSS's center section will grease out very quickly even if you are very smooth. You can mitigate it some by running the tires under inflated (I think I was doing about 35 or 36PSI where as pyrometer was suggesting 38 or so) so you are cornering on the shoulders. This still can cause issues though towards the end of the session if you didn't take as much out as was really needed. Overall, I think it is better to focus on other tasks than trying to deal with variably greased tires. It took me a long time and some experiences with other tires before I figured out the quirky behavior of the PSS tires.

As I said, I have no actual experience with the Primacies so I totally believe you about them.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #2527
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,264 Times in 683 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Let's ensure everyone understand these descriptions are relative. PSS is a MUCH faster tire on track than the OEM tire. Not even in the same ballpark.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (02-20-2015), ddeflyer (02-19-2015), Racecomp Engineering (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #2528
car_roll

Drives: Nuisance BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
Achilles 123 are UTQG 220 I think. Pilot Super Sports are UTQG 300, and cheaper than Primacys.
achilles 123 is actually banned from the class i intend to compete in

edit: hmmm just double checked the regulations and i guess they "unbanned" them...
car_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to car_roll For This Useful Post:
juliog (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #2529
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post

-mike
But that means I gotta go slower D:
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #2530
AZP Installs

Quote:
In 100+ weather the PSS's center section will grease out very quickly even if you are very smooth. You can mitigate it some by running the tires under inflated (I think I was doing about 35 or 36PSI where as pyrometer was suggesting 38 or so) so you are cornering on the shoulders. This still can cause issues though towards the end of the session if you didn't take as much out as was really needed. Overall, I think it is better to focus on other tasks than trying to deal with variably greased tires. It took me a long time and some experiences with other tires before I figured out the quirky behavior of the PSS tires.

As I said, I have no actual experience with the Primacies so I totally believe you about them.
I can't speak for 100+ ambients as we only see 90s at most here in the Northeast.

Also any of these summer tires here we are talking about would be for a relative novice looking for a tire that can be used for both street/daily driving as well as the occasional track day. Any of us who are up in the higher classes would likely be looking at dedicated or near dedicated track tires in the R888 class of tire IMO.

-mike
Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 AM   #2531
AZP Installs

Quote:
Haaaa. Smooth FEELS slower but actually isn't slower. But you know that already Mikey!

-mike
Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #2532
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Quote:
Asking since you're the resident RE11A fan (and I'm pretty set on those tires):

RE11A, 17x8 ET48 OZ wheel, stock dampers with RCA yellows and camber whiteline bolts (-1.8 on front alignment).

Mostly DD with some parking lot autocross 3-5 times/year. 245/40 vs 225/45 - both will fit the wheel. Subjectively I like the fat look of the 245 but am worried I'd need a 5-10mm spacer to clear the stock strut and the steering feel will be meh/flexy since I'm at the smaller rim size limit.

I do have the FT electric SC which breaks the stock tires loose just by gunning it, but not a full turbo/SC setup.

I've been stuck on this for awhile - it's only 2cm. :P
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #2533
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
Asking since you're the resident RE11A fan (and I'm pretty set on those tires):

RE11A, 17x8 ET48 OZ wheel, stock dampers with RCA yellows and camber whiteline bolts (-1.8 on front alignment).

Mostly DD with some parking lot autocross 3-5 times/year. 245/40 vs 225/45 - both will fit the wheel. Subjectively I like the fat look of the 245 but am worried I'd need a 5-10mm spacer to clear the stock strut and the steering feel will be meh/flexy since I'm at the smaller rim size limit.

I do have the FT electric SC which breaks the stock tires loose just by gunning it, but not a full turbo/SC setup.

I've been stuck on this for awhile - it's only 2cm. :P
AutoX? Go with the wider tire. You may need a spacer, but is that legal for your AutoX setup? If you get spacers, get ARP extended studs and open ended lugnuts.

I believe the RE71R supercedes the RE11A, but I have not yet tried them.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Khyron686 (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #2534
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Someone help me understand how PSS's work so well on GTR's. I have two friends that use them on their highly modified street legal cars for dual duty. They came in first and second at the NARRA time trials at Sebring in the TTU class with 2:16 laps. Two months later one of them is running 1:14's at Roebling on the same set!
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote