follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #2367
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355rockit View Post
After running stage 2 for many months and couple of weeks ago going to stage 1, I see stage 1 as smoother, but not as torquey off the line. Acceleration comes on smoother with stage 1. Stage 2 gets a little too touchy when doing mellow start when car is hot.
I agree, I was feeling a bit more of the placebo effect with Stg 2 and when I re-flashed to Stg 1 I perceived the car as less wild (sorry folks, only butt dyno here).
Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #2368
nunonuna

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Just for the heck of it... Full bolt ons minus header. Header provided almost no gains...
Would you mind to ask your dyno shop to provide those two graphes on same the sheet? Full bolt on & full bolt on minus header. That may help comparing better, I think.

Also I think some people who purchase this header after all other exhaust mods done already + tune seems disappointed, but who purchased this header with stock or few mods without tune seems happier. Its just my opinion of why there are some disappointment about the result this header provides. Yeah I was also little disappointed, but just because it didn't meet my high expectation based on my guess, it does NOT mean that I hate this header (at least for me).

I still love this one and have no regret because my buttdyno is totally satisfied with the way car feels now. Only my eyes on the dyno sheet doesn't like the number, but I guess my but wins eyes lol.

Last edited by nunonuna; 01-09-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #2369
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunonuna View Post
Would you mind to ask your dyno shop to provide those two graphes on same the sheet? Full bolt on & full bolt on minus header. That may help comparing better, I think.

Also I think some people who purchase this header after all other exhaust mods done already + tune seems disappointed, but who purchased this header with stock or few mods without tune seems happier. Its just my opinion of why there are some disappointment about the result this header provides. Yeah I was also little disappointed, but just because it didn't meet my high expectation based on my guess, it does NOT mean that I hate this header (at least for me). I still love this one and have no regret.
I had same question, so I overplayed them myself in this post:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=2334

I drove without a tune for 10k miles no issues. Got an OFT stage 1 93 October tune installed yesterday, I'll let tall know if I notice any differences.
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
nunonuna (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #2370
nunonuna

Drives: FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
I had same question, so I overplayed them myself in this post:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=2334

I drove without a tune for 10k miles no issues. Got an OFT stage 1 93 October tune installed yesterday, I'll let tall know if I notice any differences.
Thanks,
I must have missed it. Scrolling too fast lol
Old 01-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #2371
Sypher

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I know this thread is for the catted header which i do have but i'm debating on going catless. @FT-86SpeedFactory and anyone who has the catless version. how is it lol? I've only heard speedfactory's full catless race car. I love the unique sound of the mild UEL of the catted header but i wanted to see if i can get better power gains without getting too loud (i know it will get louder) via the catless version.

opinions?
Old 01-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #2372
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
I know this thread is for the catted header which i do have but i'm debating on going catless. @FT-86SpeedFactory and anyone who has the catless version. how is it lol? I've only heard speedfactory's full catless race car. I love the unique sound of the mild UEL of the catted header but i wanted to see if i can get better power gains without getting too loud (i know it will get louder) via the catless version.

opinions?
I may chop off the cat in a few years and weld a piece of pipe there. I'm sure a decent exhaust shop could do it for less than $100. I'd go that route personally over selling and buying a catless one. Unless you're worried about the warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
Sypher (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #2373
MTCRX

Drives: Whiteout FRS- autocross ready
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure why expectations about the catted FT86 Speed Factory don't seem to be met by some of the posters here. I installed mine early last summer, in June, and added an ECUTEK tune set up by Speed Factory at the same time. I sent their tuner run logs using the EcuTek software and he would make adjustments to the program. With each tune I could definitely feel an improvement in performance. It took three program modification to get to the setup I now have. I raced at a number of autocross events the rest of the summer and drive my car regularly and have had no issues. I am quite certain I am getting much better performance, and quicker throttle response with the header and tune. Gas mileage is the same if not better. I think without a tune the improvement in performance is there, but is not maximized. I am very pleased with the improved and noticeable performance of my car, especially when racing. I would be surprised if a non-catted header and no tune would make a noticeable improvement, slight maybe. With these types of mods you should expect small, modest gains, and each mod will not raise the performance significantly. It is a tuned 2.0L engine and you can get some improvement, but shouldn't expect turbo performance.

I have Perrin filter in the stock intake box, Perrin intake tube, Catted FT86 header, Invidia overpipe and resonated mid-pipe and TRD catback and run premium gas and have no issues and no CELs. I too will show myself out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MTCRX For This Useful Post:
AllStar0419 (01-09-2015), chas3wba0 (01-10-2015), FT-86 SpeedFactory (01-11-2015), Re~Mix (01-10-2015), Sypher (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #2374
Sypher

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCRX View Post
I am not sure why expectations about the catted FT86 Speed Factory don't seem to be met by some of the posters here. I installed mine early last summer, in June, and added an ECUTEK tune set up by Speed Factory at the same time. I sent their tuner run logs using the EcuTek software and he would make adjustments to the program. With each tune I could definitely feel an improvement in performance. It took three program modification to get to the setup I now have. I raced at a number of autocross events the rest of the summer and drive my car regularly and have had no issues. I am quite certain I am getting much better performance, and quicker throttle response with the header and tune. Gas mileage is the same if not better. I think without a tune the improvement in performance is there, but is not maximized. I am very pleased with the improved and noticeable performance of my car, especially when racing. I would be surprised if a non-catted header and no tune would make a noticeable improvement, slight maybe. With these types of mods you should expect small, modest gains, and each mod will not raise the performance significantly. It is a tuned 2.0L engine and you can get some improvement, but shouldn't expect turbo performance.

I have Perrin filter in the stock intake box, Perrin intake tube, Catted FT86 header, Invidia overpipe and resonated mid-pipe and TRD catback and run premium gas and have no issues and no CELs. I too will show myself out.
I agree with you. Some people must have had unicorn type power in mind when they bought this header. Now in my case I love the header and I'm also not expecting to make a ton of power with just the header. Which is why I also have a nameless combo pipe, ft86sf v1 cbe, grimmspeed intake and an oft running stg1 grimmspeed tune (not dialed in tune like yours but pretty good).
I will say that it is fact that uncatted headers will make more power. And as long as I don't get too loud I'd like to make a little more power with a ft86sf designed catless header.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sypher For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (01-11-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #2375
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
How is the quality and cat holding up now that this header has been out for a bit now?
Old 01-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #2376
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisR View Post
How is the quality and cat holding up now that this header has been out for a bit now?
See the last 20 pages? I guarantee you if anything went wrong, it has been posted in this thread without you asking
Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #2377
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
See the last 20 pages? I guarantee you if anything went wrong, it has been posted in this thread without you asking
Valid point. I just wanted to see if there was anything new that has happened. Thanks for the input though...
Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #2378
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisR View Post
Unless I missed something, I haven't read of any issues with the cats holding up. A few people have gotten CELs, but that's to be expected since a lot of people aren't running fully stock.

I did just install OFT Stage 1 , 93 oct tune (for fun, never got a CEL) and it feels pretty great. Could be all in my head or the recent cold weather.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #2379
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
So I've been running the OFT stage 1 tune for a few days now and so far no CEL. Still too early to say it's gone for good, but the car def feels much better on the Stage 1 tune than it did on the Stage 2.

Still have to log a pull and see what the AFR's are looking like and check for knock.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #2380
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So... I ended up chiseling the cat... no need to destroy those nice welds... I'll have to see when I have time to hit the dyno to post the difference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cartman For This Useful Post:
skye67 (01-24-2015), Sypher (01-16-2015)

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?