follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #225
sbxjap

Drives: '95 Honda Civic HB/'13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Yea, I want in on this lol
sbxjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 AM   #226
Vicious LED
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Haven't read through every post and didn't see it on the OP, I apologize for being lazy right now. Are these compatible with CF hoods? I have the Seibon CF hood for my FR-S. Let me know, if so put me down for these and PM me with payment instructions!
Vicious LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #227
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept-Three-LED's View Post
Haven't read through every post and didn't see it on the OP, I apologize for being lazy right now. Are these compatible with CF hoods? I have the Seibon CF hood for my FR-S. Let me know, if so put me down for these and PM me with payment instructions!
Found it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=104

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post

Should be looking for them around January.

We're not 100% sure yet, as the weights of these other hoods havent been released yet, BUT I do know a few things:

The stock hood is aluminum, and VERY light at just a shade over 15lbs. It will be hard to beat that sort of weight in FRP or CFRP. The Seibon carbon hood weighs almost exactly what the aluminum piece does, so it will function nearly identical.

When I say "it will be hard to beat that sort of weight in FRP and CFRP" I am speaking from experience. I spent over a year making FRP and CFRP body pieces including hoods, so I know how difficult it is to make a cosmetically beautiful (read: smooth) as well as functional (read: has a working, durable hood latch) and still be able to remove weight when compared to an aluminum hood.

Time will tell as these hoods start coming out and the weights of them are released, but for now it looks like these might be just fine. So knowing the weights of these new hoods coming out will answer most of this question. The only other variable being: How faithfully does the company producing the hood reproduce the "skeleton structure" under the top skin of the hood.

-Chase
Engineering
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CircuitJerk For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (12-31-2012), Vicious LED (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #228
Vicious LED
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitJerk View Post
I appreciate it bro!
Vicious LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #229
driver01

Drives: brz 13
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
please count me in
driver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #230
CJB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Interested, please add me to the list.
CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #231
L3P47

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Put me down. Got to get rid of that pop rod.
L3P47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #232
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Happy almost New years folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbxjap View Post
Yea, I want in on this lol
Perfect, you are in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept-Three-LED's View Post
Yep, they'll be fine because the weight difference is so slight. I'll put you down! Thank you very much for getting that post for me too CircuitJerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver01 View Post
please count me in
Will do, you've been added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
Interested, please add me to the list.
Absolutely, you're in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3P47 View Post
Put me down. Got to get rid of that pop rod.
I could not agree more, so I added you!

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #233
Cade01

Drives: '13 White FR-S, 09 Triumph St.3 R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I didn't see it anywhere, but what are the odds of the sheet metal at the mounting point getting bent due to the single mounting bolt? I would like to get a set but am concerned about them bending the lightweight body panels after repeated opening and closing. Is this a possibility?
Cade01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #234
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade01 View Post
I didn't see it anywhere, but what are the odds of the sheet metal at the mounting point getting bent due to the single mounting bolt? I would like to get a set but am concerned about them bending the lightweight body panels after repeated opening and closing. Is this a possibility?
That is a great question. I can say with confidence that there should be no possibility of that section bending. It is actually VERY thick in that area (.18in thick). Also, the area with the mounting hole is a fully boxed structure, not just a sheet metal overhang. This portion of the car is actually a contributor to the chassis rigidity as opposed to being a body panel. I encourage you to go out to your car and check it out for yourself. I grabbed that area by hand and tried to bend the area. You could just about lift the car from here. In fact, our of our employees just got a vasectomy and was wincing in pain just watching me trying to bend that area.

Also, the design of our bracket defends against any sort of bending at that bolt hole. The gas strut will almost always be trying to push the bracket down. Since the bracket directly contacts the sheet metal it is not possible for it to deflect, and thus not possible to create a bending moment at the bolt hole. Also, the BRZ hood is extremely light, so the force that the gas struts need to have is relatively low, which makes the force at these joints very low as well.

I appreciate you bringing this up, because this is an area of design that I put a fair amount of work in and never thought to mention.

The "Other Guys" design is poor in this area for a few reasons. Their bracket is TWICE as long as our bracket. Twice the length means twice the lever arm, which means twice the torque, which means its twice as likely to bend. Its why you use a breaker bar when your ratchet can't get the job done. But wait, didn't I just say that the area there was plenty thick, structural, and that I wasn't the least bit worried about it? I said that for OUR bracket because our bracket is in direct contact with the sheet metal structure below it. Since their design orients the bracket in a different direction it actually goes over a step immediately behind the bolt hole. Thus, it is not in contact with the sheetmetal below it, it CAN deflect, so it does introduce a bending moment at that bolt hole. I understand why they did it the way that they did, but for us, it was completely unacceptable, and poorly "designed."

Again, great question, thanks for bringing it up because it is important.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Extreme86 (12-31-2012), Hawk77FT (12-31-2012), NRGBalanced (01-19-2013), sure74 (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #235
Cade01

Drives: '13 White FR-S, 09 Triumph St.3 R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
That is a great question. I can say with confidence that there should be no possibility of that section bending. It is actually VERY thick in that area (.18in thick). Also, the area with the mounting hole is a fully boxed structure, not just a sheet metal overhang. This portion of the car is actually a contributor to the chassis rigidity as opposed to being a body panel. I encourage you to go out to your car and check it out for yourself. I grabbed that area by hand and tried to bend the area. You could just about lift the car from here. In fact, our of our employees just got a vasectomy and was wincing in pain just watching me trying to bend that area.

Also, the design of our bracket defends against any sort of bending at that bolt hole. The gas strut will almost always be trying to push the bracket down. Since the bracket directly contacts the sheet metal it is not possible for it to deflect, and thus not possible to create a bending moment at the bolt hole. Also, the BRZ hood is extremely light, so the force that the gas struts need to have is relatively low, which makes the force at these joints very low as well.

I appreciate you bringing this up, because this is an area of design that I put a fair amount of work in and never thought to mention.

The "Other Guys" design is poor in this area for a few reasons. Their bracket is TWICE as long as our bracket. Twice the length means twice the lever arm, which means twice the torque, which means its twice as likely to bend. Its why you use a breaker bar when your ratchet can't get the job done. But wait, didn't I just say that the area there was plenty thick, structural, and that I wasn't the least bit worried about it? I said that for OUR bracket because our bracket is in direct contact with the sheet metal structure below it. Since their design orients the bracket in a different direction it actually goes over a step immediately behind the bolt hole. Thus, it is not in contact with the sheetmetal below it, it CAN deflect, so it does introduce a bending moment at that bolt hole. I understand why they did it the way that they did, but for us, it was completely unacceptable, and poorly "designed."

Again, great question, thanks for bringing it up because it is important.

Chase
Engineering
Thanks for your quick response, that definitely answered my question. I will now calmly wait to see the finished product and if there are any options.
Cade01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #236
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
dont know if i'm in that list, but throw me in...now to get rid of the hood dampeners i bought months ago that are still in box...
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #237
BRZranger

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Please add me to the list!
BRZranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #238
whiteradam

Drives: 2000 RS, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)