follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #2353
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
Is there a way this system can be activated somehow other than just at full throttle? Maybe just a press button around the center console that is like a nos system that creates power whenever you press it, no matter the throttle input?
I can't think of a situation where I'd want boost under partial throttle. Can you give me an example?

Further, the brilliance of the throttle switch is it eliminates the need for a BOV. Think about it; you're at WOT with the compressor spinning, you reduce throttle to shift, and as you pass through 3/4 throttle the compressor stops spinning (it has internal brakes...it stops). When you get back on the throttle you're at full boost again.

The simplicity of design is one of the things that makes this kit so cool (and affordable). There are hundreds of posts in this thread where people want to make it complicated. Once you have an opportunity to drive a car with it installed you'll quickly realize that does what it is designed to do, provide boost where it is needed most, when it is needed.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in NJ For This Useful Post:
Bu-Tang (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #2354
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS14 View Post
A lot of your posts are just.....bad. Even nitrous oxide systems use a pedal switch.
What other posts are just purely bad? I'm not technically sound and I knew this was like a switch based system for boost. Just thought a switch would start the charger up for passing power somewhere in the rev range without going full out...since full out stock is already not bad. It just seems like going full throttle while full throttle already isn't bad seems counter productive. I was just seeing if more power could be had just chillin on the road, press the button, make available boost, put foot down a little more, pass, let go of button, keep driving. Hope that made any sense at all. I'm on the forums for info and to voice my opinion. Sorry if that isnt up to your standards.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #2355
CajunFRS

Drives: Challenger R/T, CRX SI,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If the blower kicked on 80%-100% that would be great. It wasn't a bad question. If it could be tuned to the users wants needs it just makes the system better. Not everyone only wants more power at WOT.
CajunFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #2356
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
What other posts are just purely bad? I'm not technically sound and I knew this was like a switch based system for boost. Just thought a switch would start the charger up for passing power somewhere in the rev range without going full out...since full out stock is already not bad. It just seems like going full throttle while full throttle already isn't bad seems counter productive. I was just seeing if more power could be had just chillin on the road, press the button, make available boost, put foot down a little more, pass, let go of button, keep driving. Hope that made any sense at all. I'm on the forums for info and to voice my opinion. Sorry if that isnt up to your standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunFRS View Post
If the blower kicked on 80%-100% that would be great. It wasn't a bad question. If it could be tuned to the users wants needs it just makes the system better. Not everyone only wants more power at WOT.
Technically it does work at 80% physical throttle, which is 100% throttle to the ECU (Depending on where you install the pedal switch).

Boost under part throttle runs into a whole bunch of new tuning scenario's.

For what its worth the DR does boost(1psi) when you want a little more. It gives a nice bump in torque as it pulses even when at partial throttle.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #2357
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunFRS View Post
Everyone wants more power at WOT!! Thats where this car really needs it.

Its already a great car for kicking around town but where it falls on its face in the mid range is where it really needs the help.

You have to remember in any FI system most of them function are either on or off as well. In my STI when driving around normal you are always in vaccum, then when you go 50% throttle it transitions out of vaccum and sits around 0psi. Now when you go from 50 to 75% throttle goes from 0 psi to 20 psi..... if you are very careful you can hold it in between but once your revs are up it just wants to go.... thats how turbo's work.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense its early in the morning still Main point is the system in its current configuration just makes sense.... once more people drive the system it becomes more clear.

Initially i was the only one defending it but now with 8 testers they all agree it isnt weird or abrasive in the way the boost comes on.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #2358
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Boost under part throttle runs into a whole bunch of new tuning scenario's.
Yeah, I didn't even think of that can of worms.

Whenever I find myself wanting more power, I just go WOT. We're only talking about 2-1/2 inches of total throttle movement here folks. It's not in anyway inconvenient to add an inch of throttle when you want power.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #2359
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I kind-of see what you're getting at - for instance if you're driving a turbo car, you move the throttle a little and wait for the turbo to surge, so you get to passing speeds without pinning the throttle to the floor.

This system is pretty linear - on a stock car you're at 100% throttle way before your pedal is pinned to the floor. Think of it this way:

Pedal 15% to floor, throttle 25%
Pedal 30% to floor, throttle 50%
Pedal 45% to floor, throttle 75%
Pedal 60% to floor, throttle 100%

With the ESC you then have
Pedal 100% to floor, throttle 100% plus ESC

So think if it this way, the ESC just gives you more power in that last bit of pedal travel that you didn't have before. Instead of fiddling with a button on your dash, just move the pedal further if you need it. Simple.

Disclaimer: the pedal to throttle relations were just pulled out of my ass, I have no idea what the stock mappings are, and I know they can be changed by a tuner. Just using easy numbers to illustrate the point.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
BlueDubbinTDI (10-23-2013), fenton (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #2360
BlueDubbinTDI

How does 1 go about testing this system? If its what its developing out to be, they can take my money lol.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #2361
CajunFRS

Drives: Challenger R/T, CRX SI,
I bet they need some testing in this good ol Louisiana humidity.

:P

Last edited by CajunFRS; 10-23-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling.
CajunFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #2362
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
No dyno test today. Auto shop teacher forgot the laptop. Will hopefully test tomorrow.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #2363
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
There is definitely a benefit to partial throttle power, but not for this reason. If you're trying to pass someone and you need the extra power of the ESC, you should be going full throttle anyways.

The scenario where you'd want the additional power during partial throttle would be during cornering, where you're modulating the throttle to maintain proper balance/etc. However, in these situations though, I'm not sure that the additional power of the ESC would even be needed. Actually, the only part that I think would be concerning, would be the huge difference in torque between less than 100% throttle and full 100% throttle... primarily during corner exit. I'm guessing that this would be a non-issue with a little bit of experience on the track... but it could be dangerous during the learning process if someone is not careful.

Other than that little bit above (which I believe can easily be a non-issue with a driver mod), I actually prefer the idea of the ESC only spooling up at full throttle. That means 0 spool when you don't want the extra power, i.e better mpg while cruising. I'd likely keep the switch turned to "On" at all times, which actually seems like an unnecessary component for this system if you ask me, considering that it only engages at full throttle anyway.
Hanni_0176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #2364
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Hey beta testers,

I got an interesting thing for you. For the last 24 hrs I haven't gotten a single engine code, and I can tell you sometimes I haven't followed the 3500 rpm recommended activation. I'm wondering if the reason this is occurring is because of the snorkel. (I removed mine) Am I just getting lucky here, or is it helping?

By the way I'm still not running the tune.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #2365
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
There is definitely a benefit to partial throttle power, but not for this reason. If you're trying to pass someone and you need the extra power of the ESC, you should be going full throttle anyways.

The scenario where you'd want the additional power during partial throttle would be during cornering, where you're modulating the throttle to maintain proper balance/etc. However, in these situations though, I'm not sure that the additional power of the ESC would even be needed. Actually, the only part that I think would be concerning, would be the huge difference in torque between less than 100% throttle and full 100% throttle... primarily during corner exit. I'm guessing that this would be a non-issue with a little bit of experience on the track... but it could be dangerous during the learning process if someone is not careful.

Other than that little bit above (which I believe can easily be a non-issue with a driver mod), I actually prefer the idea of the ESC only spooling up at full throttle. That means 0 spool when you don't want the extra power, i.e better mpg while cruising. I'd likely keep the switch turned to "On" at all times, which actually seems like an unnecessary component for this system if you ask me, considering that it only engages at full throttle anyway.

You need the system to be on for the drag reduction. This helps supply power when not on full throttle.

Installed Mods:
Old 10-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #2366
BlueDubbinTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post

It was just an example but yeah I agree. I also see where full throttle clearly must be used to make a serious pass or merge. However, my foot is planted on the floor maybe just a few times a month. If I was going to throw down $1600, ide really like to experience it before purchase somehow, or hopefully have some other form of use other than just WOT.
Just my #1 concern atm and lookin for some knowledge

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive