follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #211
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350matt View Post
I suspect the rallysport car on the cosworth stand is a show car with lots of nice bits on it, after all its not cosworth's car , it just has the cosworth kit on it as they are a cosworth vendor

and yes you make an interesting point about long term longevity, I suspect most folks whack on a FI kit and go for broke without thinking just how long the stock bottom end will last

I'd hope that Cosworth have considered this with this kit, hence why the boost is pegged much lower than what the charger is capable of to help keep the stock bottom end alive
I was under the impression that the whole reason the 2.0 kit was pegged so low on the boost was for that very reason. IIRC, they even advise to upgrade internals if the owner wants to push the blower to 300bhp or above. To me, this shows a lot more consideration from Cosworth than many other F/I companies that seem to claim 16 psi on stock internals has no issue longevity-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
A lot is working against this car's ability to be FI; the whole drivetrain should be considered, not just the motor.

The high compression FA20 doesn't warrant great results boosted without getting into the guts with some lower compression, forged internals, and whatnot
People always have their retrospect goggles on when they mention things like old LSx, 2JZ, RB26, etc. platforms that can be pushed well beyond their limits, forgetting that back then, emissions and regulations were nowhere near what they are today. The fact that our cars can do what they do at the price point they're at with the regulations in place is astounding to me. Then again, being conscientious of the engineering side of production probably shouldn't be expected of most people..

Not a jab at you, just something I think needs to be brought up when people wonder why this platform is so hard to work with. I actually agree with you, but I think a reliable 250-300whp 86 would be perfect.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #212
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Interested to see if the Cosworth heat exchanger and Jackson Racing engine oil cooler can be mounted together at the front of the car or if custom brackets will be needed?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #213
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
I was under the impression that the whole reason the 2.0 kit was pegged so low on the boost was for that very reason. IIRC, they even advise to upgrade internals if the owner wants to push the blower to 300bhp or above. To me, this shows a lot more consideration from Cosworth than many other F/I companies that seem to claim 16 psi on stock internals has no issue longevity-wise.

People always have their retrospect goggles on when they mention things like old LSx, 2JZ, RB26, etc. platforms that can be pushed well beyond their limits, forgetting that back then, emissions and regulations were nowhere near what they are today. The fact that our cars can do what they do at the price point they're at with the regulations in place is astounding to me. Then again, being conscientious of the engineering side of production probably shouldn't be expected of most people..

Not a jab at you, just something I think needs to be brought up when people wonder why this platform is so hard to work with. I actually agree with you, but I think a reliable 250-300whp 86 would be perfect.
I don't know what retrospect goggles mean to my statement about our engine's inability to handle boost well stock. Compression doesn't have anything to do with regulations or emissions..

I also stated that we must look at not only the engine, but the other components of the drivetrain (i.e clutch, transmission, driveshaft, axle, rear diff, etc) to determine how any given system can accept FI with an acceptable measure of reliability and safety.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #214
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Here's a great discussion on compression and boost by a manufacturer some regard as well versed in FI applications!

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...tio_with_boost
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
BRZ21 (11-12-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #215
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
After my last F/I car, the only thing holding me back from boosting the FR-S is longevity. There's a reason you see so many people listing their cars FS a few months after they've boosted it.
a lot of people bought a car based on hype/emotions despite it not fitting their needs for a car.

boost doesn't fix that.
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #216
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
People always have their retrospect goggles on when they mention things like old LSx, 2JZ, RB26, etc. platforms that can be pushed well beyond their limits, forgetting that back then, emissions and regulations were nowhere near what they are today.
Exactly. Don't forget the economics of trade and raw material costs. That's why the only response to these people is you and your parents effed up the world and now we can't have nice things. Thanks a lot, now go piss off.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #217
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Exactly. Don't forget the economics of trade and raw material costs. That's why the only response to these people is you and your parents effed up the world and now we can't have nice things. Thanks a lot, now go piss off.
You're onto something about disparity between engine manufacturing costs of then and now.

However the person you're quoting simply mis-read or mis-interpreted my point that the FA20 engine, as it sits, is not suited well for boost since it is high compression of 12.5:1 (being N/A, this is typical).

That has little to nothing to do with emissions and regulations
Old 11-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #218
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
There's a reason you see so many people listing their cars FS a few months after they've boosted it.
Generalization.

People sell their FI projects for many reasons:

1. They thought it would be faster than what they actually got
2. They thought it would totally transform the car
3. They got bored with it because it is still a cheap sports car
4. They got bored with it because after the FI kit the project has reached its climax
5. They were disappointed in the initial product and thought spending 5 grand on a FI kit would satisfy them enough when in actuality that money would have been better spent on a new car that actually satisfies them
6. They just want a new/better car

I have never experienced anyone saying they are selling their car after putting a FI kit on because they think the motor wont last. Those people that fear the motor blowing would just take the FI kit off or not put it on in the first place.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #219
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
You're onto something about disparity between engine manufacturing costs of then and now.

However the person you're quoting simply mis-read or mis-interpreted my point that the FA20 engine, as it sits, is not suited well for boost since it is high compression of 12.5:1 (being N/A, this is typical).

That has little to nothing to do with emissions and regulations
Yes it is not suited for high boost on pump gas. You adjust boost and ignition timing accordingly to keep knock at bay. If you are running a good safe tune there is no reason to avoid boost on this motor. A higher compressing motor will yield more power per psi so just keep your expectations realistic and run a safe tune / lower boost.

@mkivsoopra 's and my turbo motors running at 6-7 psi (275 whp) hard at the tracks here are running strong. @CSG Mike 's JRSC'd motor has been pushed harder than anyone's FI setup. @ImperiousRex 's turbo motor has been pushed hard through time attack competitions and is holding up great. All of these people understand the concept of knock and how it destroys engines and so they run the appropriate tunes, psi levels and fuel octane to keep things safe for high performance duty.

For a street car on pump gas you need to keep expectations realistic of what the motor, with low octane, can do. If you just need to run 30 psi of boost and make 300+ whp on 91 octane safely then look elsewhere for a low CR motor.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #220
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
Yes it is not suited for high boost on pump gas. You adjust boost and ignition timing accordingly to keep knock at bay. If you are running a good safe tune there is no reason to avoid boost on this motor. A higher compressing motor will yield more power per psi so just keep your expectations realistic and run a safe tune / lower boost.

@mkivsoopra 's and my turbo motors running at 6-7 psi (275 whp) hard at the tracks here are running strong. @CSG Mike 's JRSC'd motor has been pushed harder than anyone's FI setup. @ImperiousRex 's turbo motor has been pushed hard through time attack competitions and is holding up great. All of these people understand the concept of knock and how it destroys engines and so they run the appropriate tunes, psi levels and fuel octane to keep things safe for high performance duty.

For a street car on pump gas you need to keep expectations realistic of what the motor, with low octane, can do. If you just need to run 30 psi of boost and make 300+ whp on 91 octane safely then look elsewhere for a low CR motor.
Yup, it's good to see these motors are being boosted and boosted properly. I myself am a commuter first and weekend warrior second. A high compression, low boost setup is ideal for me. I should have made my assertions clearer as to what amount of boost this engine can reasonably withstand and why the 12.5:1 compression ratio sucks for that sledgehammer, in-your-face type of boost most would associate with an all-out turbo rig.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-12-2014), zdr93523 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #221
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yup, it's good to see these motors are being boosted and boosted properly. I myself am a commuter first and weekend warrior second. A high compression, low boost setup is ideal for me. I should have made my assertions clearer as to what amount of boost this engine can reasonably withstand and why the 12.5:1 compression ratio sucks for that sledgehammer, in-your-face type of boost most would associate with an all-out turbo rig.
I'd still prefer slightly less compression... when I say I want lower compression, I'm thinking more along the lines of 11-11.5, not the 7-9 most people think. And this is because I want more boost, to ultimately make more power.

That being said, we haven't run into the limitations of 12.5:1 compression yet, so we won't be dropping in our lower compression engine until we do.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Koa (11-12-2014), sato (11-12-2014), Sportsguy83 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #222
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Still, be cautious about over generalization about that kind of thing. Proper tuning and the right kind of equipment, low boost applications are reliable. Dont forget the F2xC was also an NA engine that accepted boost like a long lost brother, if a headgasket was applied more of a medium boost build could be attained.

Im wondering if that same philosophy and application would work here as well.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Koa (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #223
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Still, be cautious about over generalization about that kind of thing. Proper tuning and the right kind of equipment, low boost applications are reliable. Dont forget the F2xC was also an NA engine that accepted boost like a long lost brother, if a headgasket was applied more of a medium boost build could be attained.

Im wondering if that same philosophy and application would work here as well.
F2xC + headgasket = problems.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:43 PM   #224
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
F2xC + headgasket = problems.
Well yes, although I don't know enough about the F2xC to know why it would have caused problems. it was a stupidly low cost way to psudo change the CR. in any case, I'm just holding out the funds to swap Pistons and the works.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote