follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Have you had an issue with your Direct Injection System?
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 10 12.35%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 2 2.47%
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 31 38.27%
I have had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 3 3.70%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Subaru) 7 8.64%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Toyota) 14 17.28%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Subaru) 8 9.88%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Toyota) 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #197
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Can someone please clear my confusion about this issue? So if I am at idle and i slightly rev and my rev dips a little and comes back up is this an issue?
No, sounds like how engines work to me, the drive by wire system makes for a bit of lag in my opinion so this doesn't sound weird to me, it leans out a little bit before the ECU compensates and adds the fuel to up the revs. I could be wrong on this point, feel free to add corrections.

Quote:
I also have an occasional "knock" when doing this maybe 1/5 times or so if I listen carefully. Does this mean for sure sure my DI has failed or could it just be a bad tune? (on Unichip). I have never had any backfiring or noticable knock besides when doing this at idle.
Unknown, could be tune, could be perfectly fine, could be a blown seal.

Quote:
Should I take off my tune and see the dealer?
Yes, that is if the knock remains on the stock tune, if it goes away on the stock tune then you've found your problem.

:happy0180:
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
l0aded (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #198
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can someone please clear my confusion about this issue? So if I am at idle and i slightly rev and my rev dips a little and comes back up is this an issue? I also have an occasional "knock" when doing this maybe 1/5 times or so if I listen carefully. Does this mean for sure sure my DI has failed or could it just be a bad tune? (on Unichip). I have never had any backfiring or noticable knock besides when doing this at idle.

Should I take off my tune and see the dealer?
By Stu of gt86ownersclub.co.uk

Quote:
There's so much misinformation and paranoia floating around about this issue. The American forum has gone banzai about it without truly understanding the problem. I appreciate dealerships there are just as bad as here though with a) acknowledging a problem, b) understanding it and c) fixing it successfully (without taking your car on a 200+ mile jolly).

The issue is transient det damaging the seals. It's not when you lift the throttle the problem occurs, it's when you go back on it quickly. This is called "tip-in". When you rapidly change the throttle angle, you need "tip-in fuel" and "tip-in spark". Because sensors (and the ecu) takes a few milliseconds to react to these changes, you have to put in predictive tables which ensure the engine gets the right amount of fuel and spark during those big-change transient conditions.

Now our engines, with calibrations 700, and A00 DO have transient spark tables, however for some reason (which we will never understand/find out), the transient spark table was disabled above 5200rpm. This means that if you change gear rapidly above this engine speed you are able to 'get ahead' of the ECU and get a little crack of tip-in det/knock. This isn't usually dangerous, but it appears the seals used on the direct injectors (of which I am confident are perfectly up to the job) do not appreciate the det and over time wear and cause a leak and eventually total seal/injector failure requiring replacement.

The fix in calibration A01 is to move the upper bound remit of the transient spark table from 5200 rpm to 10000rpm (e.g. always) and the actual table itself has been populated with some meaningful spark angles so it does its job up top now its actually activated.

Here's a copy of the stock 700/A00 transient spark table, as you can see it's not doing any retarding over 4000rpm:

Here's a copy (leeched from ft86club) of the Toyota docs on the issue:

CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
5hairpins (09-24-2013), bestwheelbase (07-09-2013), brn12345 (10-07-2013), denkigrve (07-09-2013), Ganthrithor (08-01-2014), Jive Turkey (08-02-2013), Midtenn (07-10-2013), Nightbringer (07-09-2013), suaveflooder (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #199
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Thank you for re-posting this. I wish more people would read this and stop over-reacting about it. The problem is that it's a very specific condition. Should it be changed or addressed? Yes. Will most people get the same types of wear? Not likely.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #200
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

I see, thanks for this. Does this mean all models made before the date of this document and possibly after will eventually need a TSB to fix the detonation?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #201
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
Thank you for re-posting this. I wish more people would read this and stop over-reacting about it. The problem is that it's a very specific condition. Should it be changed or addressed? Yes. Will most people get the same types of wear? Not likely.
Have you ever redlined your car? If so, you're at risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #202
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Have you ever redlined your car? If so, you're at risk.
Multiple times. My light is set at 7k so that I'll do the shift slightly before or just as it hits redline. 85% of my time on the track at Laguna was spent above 5k RPMs. I dunno, I'm still thinking there is a parts supplier thing happening since we're not hearing about this out of Japan yet, nor from a majority of the owners of the car.

I think an enterprising third party could make some real money from this by making some SUPER seals for the DIs.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #203
CSG Mike

Quote:
Multiple times. My light is set at 7k so that I'll do the shift slightly before or just as it hits redline. 85% of my time on the track at Laguna was spent above 5k RPMs. I dunno, I'm still thinking there is a parts supplier thing happening since we're not hearing about this out of Japan yet, nor from a majority of the owners of the car.

I think an enterprising third party could make some real money from this by making some SUPER seals for the DIs.
I beg to differ. Japan is experiencing it just as much.

http://arrowsdiary.blog.shinobi.jp/Date/20130604/
http://arrowsdiary.blog.shinobi.jp/Date/20130609/

Detonation is detonation. If the seals don't give, something else will.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #204
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

Awesome find Mike!

I really can't see Toyota/Subaru ignoring this.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #205
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:

Still pretty small with only a few posts, but thank you for posting that. I hadn't seen anything out of Japan yet. The Japanese will be at more direct with Toyota/Subaru than most americans will. At this point Toyota/Subaru have to be looking into this. There are enough threads, and enough information. It's not going to just "go away" either, but I think we only know so much. The majority of cars seeing this are seeing these failures on heavy usage conditions. So we don't know how it's going to present itself to the overall population.

Do you know when your car was manufactured? When did you pick yours up? There was no talk of this until this year, and the cars have been out for a year at this point. So I'm wondering if there was a materials change somewhere along the line or they added another parts supplier that could be supplying them with less than adequate parts.

Either way, I have a feeling that more than just the South African TSB is going to come out soon. In May it' marks the end of the first few cars 2 year warranties. I'm likely going to extend mine through Toyota if this isn't ironed out by then, but I don't think they'd let something like this just go on a car that's supposed to be "the best of the best."

Moto also seems to have lots of connections with Toyota and Tada. I'm curious if anyone has talked to him to see if they can provide any feedback, or will get some extra movement on this. The last thing both companies want is the paranoia that's forming on the forums from suddenly de-railing the train these cars have created for the market.

They also don't want the legacy of this car to match that of the Starion. Everyone laughs at that cars motor due to the poor materials choice for the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Awesome find Mike!

I really can't see Toyota/Subaru ignoring this.
I agree. There's a lot of noise, and enough people are concerned about it. What needs to happen is that it's going to need to actually happen to more and more cars for the companies to take action. They're surprisingly slow when it comes to making changes.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #206
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree. There's a lot of noise, and enough people are concerned about it. What needs to happen is that it's going to need to actually happen to more and more cars for the companies to take action. They're surprisingly slow when it comes to making changes.
I'm going to guess they're still testing to confirm that this is the root cause. I can't imagine it's very easy to announce a worldwide TSB in a matter of weeks/months. This isn't something small like some tail light condensation.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #207
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
I'm going to guess they're still testing to confirm that this is the root cause. I can't imagine it's very easy to announce a worldwide TSB in a matter of weeks/months. This isn't something small like some tail light condensation.
Yeah this one's a bit more complicated. I'm imagining it'll be something like "Update the ECU when cars come in for ANY service or check up." Then only roll out as a mass communication if it escalates any further. There is a lot of CYA that will be done to prevent this from looking like a major recall since that could damage the brand.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #208
CSG Mike

Quote:
Still pretty small with only a few posts, but thank you for posting that. I hadn't seen anything out of Japan yet. The Japanese will be at more direct with Toyota/Subaru than most americans will. At this point Toyota/Subaru have to be looking into this. There are enough threads, and enough information. It's not going to just "go away" either, but I think we only know so much. The majority of cars seeing this are seeing these failures on heavy usage conditions. So we don't know how it's going to present itself to the overall population.
The Japanese are well aware of this issue. Just because they don't post here doesn't mean they're not experiencing it.

Quote:
Do you know when your car was manufactured? When did you pick yours up? There was no talk of this until this year, and the cars have been out for a year at this point. So I'm wondering if there was a materials change somewhere along the line or they added another parts supplier that could be supplying them with less than adequate parts.
June 2012.

2nd engine was Sept 2012

The problem was present on our first engine, but we figured it was a fluke, since we hadn't heard of the problem at that point. Turns out the Japanese and South Africans were already experiencing it.
Quote:
Either way, I have a feeling that more than just the South African TSB is going to come out soon. In May it' marks the end of the first few cars 2 year warranties. I'm likely going to extend mine through Toyota if this isn't ironed out by then, but I don't think they'd let something like this just go on a car that's supposed to be "the best of the best."

Moto also seems to have lots of connections with Toyota and Tada. I'm curious if anyone has talked to him to see if they can provide any feedback, or will get some extra movement on this. The last thing both companies want is the paranoia that's forming on the forums from suddenly de-railing the train these cars have created for the market.
He's not at liberty to comment, so he simply won't comment on the issue, and that's all I can say, since I don't want to put words in their mouths.

Quote:
They also don't want the legacy of this car to match that of the Starion. Everyone laughs at that cars motor due to the poor materials choice for the head.

Totally agree. This problem WILL manifest eventually in ANY car that even occasionally sees redline.

Last edited by CSG Mike; 07-09-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #209
Dodzilla

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anybody have a screenshot of the updated transient ignition retard table?
Dodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodzilla For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #210
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
The Japanese are well aware of this issue. Just because they don't post here doesn't mean they're not experiencing it.
I figured this would be on their various autoblogs. There are a metric ton of autoblogs in Japan that tuners/owners run, and this is precisely the thing that would end up on those. I guess no-one has been looking since the problem wasn't as prevalent here in the US.

Quote:
June 2013.

2nd engine was Sept 2013
Were those supposed to be 2012? That might shoot my materials idea out of the window.

Tags
direct injector, engine, failure, meet regal's paranoia, poll, regal's witch hunt, regalnoia, seal, sealions, silly sausage