follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #183
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post
I was slightly exaggerating, but pointing out that the car is nowhere near dangerously fast like others have made it out to be.

Yes, I understand how fast the FRS/BRZ is around a track, mostly due to it's agility. I would point out that the MS3 and WRX are quite a bit heavier too.

I've got a lot of seat time in our FRS on various tracks and also have another car that only has a little more HP but it still 4 seconds a lap faster down the back straight at Road Atlanta than my FRS.

They are quick, but nothing that blows your mind.

Im just pointing out that nothing about this car should not be able to be handled by a responsible young adult.
Well I see both sides of the argument here. I 100% agree that if a person of any age, takes the time to learn how to drive a car past the 8/10's they will be well equipped to handle anything that comes their way in these cars. You are right, these cars are not Mustang GT's or Camaro SS's, etc.

But RWD sports coupes in the hands of someone (again age not withstanding) can be quite dangerous once the nannies are turned off and someone pushes the car too far and does not know how to handle it. It does not take 400hp, 300hp or even 200hp to lose control quickly if you don't know what to do once the rear end starts to slide out from under you with the nannies off.

Which is exactly what I did back in the late 80's with a 100hp RX-7 that had no nannies and a 17 year old who did not know how to handle the car after I pushed it too far. Back then there were no nannies to correct me, so I lost the car and caused a wreck. I learned very quick after that and my uncle who raced Corvette's was kind enough to teach me how to drive a RWD sports car properly.

I think the OP really has a good head on his shoulders and seems like someone who wants to learn and is willing. I wish more teenagers had his attitude about driving.

But in 5-10 years when you can find used FR-S and BRZ's for cheap, I can only imagine how many younger people will be wrapping these things around telephone polls because they turned the nannies off and then lost the backend around a corner.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
4Running Daily (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #184
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
meh, I wouldn't worry at all. the fr-s is light years easier to control and handle than the MR2s and NSXs of the 80s and 90s. Society is progressing just fine with those wreckless teenagers wrapping themselves around trees back then.
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #185
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobrz View Post
meh, I wouldn't worry at all. the fr-s is light years easier to control and handle than the MR2s and NSXs of the 80s and 90s. Society is progressing just fine with those wreckless teenagers wrapping themselves around trees back then.
Of course it is. You're comparing decades-old, mid-engined cars that were more susceptible to snap oversteer to a modern RWD car that typically won't suffer from that issue. They are very different layouts with different characteristics, even if they're all RWD two-doors.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #186
FlipFRS

Drives: Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got mine last year when i was 16, now 17. You will be fine, its a great daily. Just dont get stupid on the streets with it, and live up to the teenage driver stereotype

Last edited by FlipFRS; 06-07-2013 at 12:50 PM.
FlipFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlipFRS For This Useful Post:
4Running Daily (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #187
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think it's a good RWD car for a teenager who's interested in cars.

- the chassis and steering communicate what the car is doing at all times
- it's RWD so it'll keep you entertained and you'll learn how to control oversteer
- it doesn't have a ton of torque or power
- it's cheaper than the average new car sold in the US
- it got very high crash safety ratings

Just respect the fact that it's RWD and setup fairly neutral. If you're accelerating (especially in the snow or the rain), there are times the rear will want to swing around, so be ready to countersteer -- don't lift -- as necessary. If you want to explore the car's limits (which I'd highly recommend), do it at the track/autocross or somewhere where you won't hurt yourself or others.

If you keep all that in mind, you'll be fine. Enjoy the car!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #188
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Im gonna say NO because im hating on you because i couldnt even dream of having a car this nice or any new car at that age. I bought my own first car old and used working my ass off and saving my own money at 17
CAMBAM_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #189
Takuro

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Why do some overreact to the car being rwd? I drove a rwd 240sx daily with shit tires and never had one incident of hydroplaning or "losing control". It had more torque and was lighter than the FRS. Lots of people are comparing the FRS to a rear engine porsche, mid engine mr2, mustang, or something that can actually get you into trouble.
Takuro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takuro For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #190
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Of course it is. You're comparing decades-old, mid-engined cars that were more susceptible to snap oversteer to a modern RWD car that typically won't suffer from that issue. They are very different layouts with different characteristics, even if they're all RWD two-doors.
I actually prefer the rear traction of the MR2 when I'm on the throttle, lol... mid-corner lift-throttle though... lol... big no no... lol... I survived 10 years driving an early 90s MR2 as my first sports car. I think the OP can survive much easier with the fr-s, that's all.

p.s. there is no snap oversteer unless if it is a situation where you have fully loaded one side of the suspension, then try to change directions to the other side of the suspension while lifting throttle, causing the weight transfer to be sudden and feel like a snap. steady state cornering, you can adjust throttle position to get the car to rotate more or less very safely without worrying about "snap oversteer". it's only in a transitional situation like through through a chicane or slalom where the weight is thrown left and right that you need to be sure to not suddenly lift off the throttle.

Last edited by autobrz; 06-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #191
UNDEAD1153

Drives: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I think it's a good RWD car for a teenager who's interested in cars.

- the chassis and steering communicate what the car is doing at all times
- it's RWD so it'll keep you entertained and you'll learn how to control oversteer
- it doesn't have a ton of torque or power
- it's cheaper than the average new car sold in the US
- it got very high crash safety ratings

Just respect the fact that it's RWD and setup fairly neutral. If you're accelerating (especially in the snow or the rain), there are times the rear will want to swing around, so be ready to countersteer -- don't lift -- as necessary. If you want to explore the car's limits (which I'd highly recommend), do it at the track/autocross or somewhere where you won't hurt yourself or others.

If you keep all that in mind, you'll be fine. Enjoy the car!
Not disagreeing with you, just haven't seen them yet, but can you possibly post a link of the safety ratings? They didn't have them on the window sticker of the fr-s I looked at the other day.

Also.....IBTL!!
UNDEAD1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #192
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuro View Post
Why do some overreact to the car being rwd? I drove a rwd 240sx daily with shit tires and never had one incident of hydroplaning or "losing control". It had more torque and was lighter than the FRS. Lots of people are comparing the FRS to a rear engine porsche, mid engine mr2, mustang, or something that can actually get you into trouble.
Personally, I've only ever driven RWD vehicles (F150 in high school, Nissan Pickup in college, FRS now), if you're driving fast enough to lose control in a well maintained RWD you'd probably crash a FWD or AWD car too. Yeah a RWD might be less forgiving but you've GOT to be exceeding the limits for reasonable driving on public roads to do it.

Speed limits and roads were designed that way for a reason.

protip: if it's wet, slow the fuck down, seriously think I'm going to die every time I jump on the freeway out here after a rain. Californians don't understand weather, and I'm just as ignorant as the rest of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDEAD1153 View Post
Not disagreeing with you, just haven't seen them yet, but can you possibly post a link of the safety ratings? They didn't have them on the window sticker of the fr-s I looked at the other day.

Also.....IBTL!!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scion+frs+safety+ratings
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #193
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Haha that cracked me up. Since it's Friday though, I'll post up a link. The FR-S was a 2013 IIHS Top-Safety Pick, with top marks pretty much across the board:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=750

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #194
UNDEAD1153

Drives: Looking
Sweet!! Thanks man, and yeah there is a search button.....not thinking straight haha. Going to Nashville tennessee to test drive and possibly buy an Fr-s tomorrow!!
UNDEAD1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #195
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Haha that cracked me up. Since it's Friday though, I'll post up a link. The FR-S was a 2013 IIHS Top-Safety Pick, with top marks pretty much across the board:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=750
I'm a USAA member and in their recent mag it's listed as a must buy.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BadMoon For This Useful Post:
zlegend (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #196
p4png

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Priceless
p4png is offline   Reply With Quote