follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #1597
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
how low do you guys sit?

I'm finding that I'm slowly inching my way higher and higher for better vision and control

I'm 5'11" and have recently went as high as the roofline will let me with the helmet on, and at times feel like I want to go higher.

driving on the floor, especially at autocross, seems to make it rather difficult for me to look ahead and really sense the road, as most of the time the front pillar is exactly where I want to be looking.

how do the rest of you feel about your seating position in the FRS?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #1598
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm 5'10" but have a longish torso, and my helmet was bumping the roof.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #1599
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
how low do you guys sit?

I'm finding that I'm slowly inching my way higher and higher for better vision and control

I'm 5'11" and have recently went as high as the roofline will let me with the helmet on, and at times feel like I want to go higher.

driving on the floor, especially at autocross, seems to make it rather difficult for me to look ahead and really sense the road, as most of the time the front pillar is exactly where I want to be looking.

For DD I love to sit limbo low, nostril hairs barely above the steering wheel.

But, like you when tracking, the seat back goes up, not only for vision but to to take the g-forces more comfortably by sitting more upright.

So far I haven't been on a bumpy enough track to hit the roof with my helmet, and I'm over 6 ft.

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #1600
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Lost the clutch on the ITR yesterday at Road America. It's stock with 137k miles. It won't disengage anymore. Hoping there's no damage to the transmission. Still being diagnosed right now.

Besides frequent fluid changes, what other preventative things can you do to prevent being stranded in the middle of no where? Towing your own vehicle to the track would be ideal, but the cost/benefit isn't there since I don't frequently to go the track.

On the bright side, it's pretty impressive that this 14 year old engine with 137k still pulls pretty hard. Not an easy task to survive 4 20 minute sessions back to back days.
That's pretty good, and about expected life out of the clutch. If they have it apart, you'll want to do flywheel (resurface maybe), clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and if it was me, I'd split the trans case open and replace the input shaft bearing. I've had great luck with Exedy clutches.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #1601
markw

Quote:
how low do you guys sit?

There are quite a few videos on youtube about about seating position. Sounds like you're finding out that a more upright seating position gives you better car control. This is a huge factor in how well you drive. The laid back "cruising" style doesn't cut it.

I have the seat as low as possible, back of the seat upright. My elbows are around 90 degrees or so when holding the steering wheel. My knees are slightly bent when depressing the throttle or clutch all the way.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcZqaFJVBZ0"]The Basics -- AMG Driving Academy Performance Series Episode 1 -- Seating Adjustment & Line of Sight - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #1602
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I am 6 foot so with a helmet and the stock seats I wasn't able to sit upright. Since then I have replaced the seats with race seats and in the process gotten lower. I can say now with alot of certainty that my preference is for a very upright position with my butt as low to the ground as possible. Getting so low just helps me feel the motion of the car better. My position is maybe and inch and a half lower than the stock seat's lowest position (hard to say exactly but it is a good amount lower).

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #1603
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
There are quite a few videos on youtube about about seating position. Sounds like you're finding out that a more upright seating position gives you better car control. This is a huge factor in how well you drive. The laid back "cruising" style doesn't cut it.

i am aware of seating position...

i am talking about seat height

two different things.

I am asking for opinions that given a choice, do you sit low or high in this car.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #1604
markw

I have the seat as low as possible, I'm 6'2" there appears to be enough room for a helmet. I'll know this weekend.

It also depends on your height, being able to see is important. How upright is your seatback?
Old 07-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #1605
ddeflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post

I have the seat as low as possible, back of the seat upright. My elbows are around 90 degrees or so when holding the steering wheel. My knees are slightly bent when depressing the throttle or clutch all the way.

Exactly!

Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #1606
ddeflyer

Quote:
i am aware of seating position...

i am talking about seat height

two different things.

I am asking for opinions that given a choice, do you sit low or high in this car.
(This is all assuming track driving, not street driving)

I want my butt as close to the ground as I can get it so I can feel more of the car's motion. Seeing things just over the hood doesn't matter; I can't do anything about those things. If you are feeling like you need your eyes at the roof so you can see more then you are looking at the wrong things.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #1607
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
(This is all assuming track driving, not street driving)

I want my butt as close to the ground as I can get it so I can feel more of the car's motion. Seeing things just over the hood doesn't matter; I can't do anything about those things. If you are feeling like you need your eyes at the roof so you can see more then you are looking at the wrong things.

ever sat in a Miata?

I'm looking ahead, and find the car has too many obstructions. I feel that i have to trust myself and the car more rather than knowing with 100% certainty where i am.

i find this is a general issue with modern cars, the pillars are very thick and the window lines very deep, it's not as easy to figure out the car's dimensions as it is in older cars. YMMV.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #1608
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Quote:
ever sat in a Miata?
Ever sat in a Super 7? I can place the palm of my hand flat on the ground when seated in one
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #1609
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Ever sat in a Super 7? I can place the palm of my hand flat on the ground when seated in one
yeah!

I know some super 7 and dwarf owners. There is something to be said about being able to see your wheels actuate over bumps.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #1610
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Quote:
yeah!

I know some super 7 and dwarf owners. There is something to be said about being able to see your wheels actuate over bumps.
They sure are easy to place where you want them, especially with cones involved.

One day I want my garage to hold a Miata, BRZ and Super 7, nothing more.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote