follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #141
b rawr z

Drives: 2014 BRZ, 2008 Impreza
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidus View Post
Not driving manual for 2 weeks because of the snow has completely ruined me. I was stalling every other stop sign tonight in my neighborhood.
At least u were able to take it out lol..been over 2 week for me and im tempted to get winter wheels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
b rawr z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #142
calidus

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Premium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b rawr z View Post
At least u were able to take it out lol..been over 2 week for me and im tempted to get winter wheels
I only took out around the neighborhood. I wasn't brave/stupid enough to drive it faster than 25.

I am going to blame trying to drive in steel toed boats for part of the reason I sucked.
calidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #143
subiestyle

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S White MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
what about if you have to drive slow to maneuver around things?

there's no way around riding the clutch, right? you have to
subiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #144
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiestyle View Post
what about if you have to drive slow to maneuver around things?

there's no way around riding the clutch, right? you have to
How slow are we talking here? You can creep along at 3 or 4mph easily enough while fully in gear.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #145
subiestyle

i have to pull into my driveway which is on a very very slight incline and then pull to the right to avoid bookcases in the garage.

so I pull up to the driveway, stop, open the garage door, and then have to move about 2-3 car lengths into the driveway.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #146
subiestyle

also when you upshift to 2nd, 3rd, and beyond, how quickly are you getting on the gas after letting out the clutch?

are you doing the same clutch/gas balance you do to start in first for the other gears?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #147
AirborneDeth
Regular Guy

Drives: '13 FRS '97 Jeep Cherokee
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It is good that people have taken the time out to make and maintain a thread like this.

I just have one thing to say, and this is strictly my take and not pointing fingers at anyone:

If my kids have to ask how to drive a manual car on the internet, I have failed as a father.
AirborneDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AirborneDeth For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (02-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #148
calidus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneDeth View Post
It is good that people have taken the time out to make and maintain a thread like this.

I just have one thing to say, and this is strictly my take and not pointing fingers at anyone:

If my kids have to ask how to drive a manual car on the internet, I have failed as a father.
Most families just don't have a manual transmission car anymore. You can't even learn to drive manual on uncle Jacks pickup anymore because they are all automatics too.

Dad sold his '67 Camaro when I was 4.

Random Question to everyone: Can anyone actually completely press and release the stock clutch without having to move their leg(ie ankle only)? I can't and it drives me crazy, because I tend to jerk the clutch at the every end of releasing it.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #149
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
When I actuate the clutch pedal I do so smoothly & evenly. I can't do it with ankle alone, but that's no excuse.

Smooth pedal motions, smooth steering. That's the key to keeping the car balanced. Any car.

I'm on my phone so if I make mistakes, blame Sportsguy83

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #150
subiestyle

do you guys feel resistance in the clutch pedal the moment you press down on the pedal?

or is there an inch or so of very light resistance before you feel a stronger resistance all the way throughout the pedal stroke?
Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #151
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidus View Post
Random Question to everyone: Can anyone actually completely press and release the stock clutch without having to move their leg(ie ankle only)? I can't and it drives me crazy, because I tend to jerk the clutch at the every end of releasing it.
I can do it with ankle only (I have to especially when reversing into a tight parking spot, not as important when street driving on straights tho imo).

With normal driving it depends on how tired my left foot has become after sitting in traffic for how long when. I am a cyclist so maybe my leg muscles have had adequate training or something.

The key is to have proper driving shoes with grippy heels, and using the rubber mat also helps with practice (like the OEM FRS rubber mat from Toyota).

A pair of driving mocs can be had for not a lot of money and can be quite helpful (i.e. Clarks / Rockport / Geox / etc, obviously not Tods lol). With sports driving shoes it's harder to find something good these days (Adidas and Puma have increased their sole thickness towards lifestyle and less focus on the function of driving). I find that every brand now seems to only have one or two good designs, and not the entire range.

BTW I only wear driving shoes when driving stick, as the thin sole and grippy heel help with clutch and accelerator pedal modulation. I have fancy retro NB sneakers and I can't heel and toe with them at all (Initial D is so bs). The one thing I find with driving automatic is that you can't train your right foot to have good gas pedal control and becomes a bad habit.

Last edited by krayzie; 02-22-2014 at 07:25 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #152
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I have a pair of Puma Precios (sp?) & they're absolutely perfect for both lifestyle & driving. The sole thickness is just right.

I'm on my phone so if I make mistakes, blame Sportsguy83

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #153
calidus

Garage
I finally gotten the hang of the basics, no more stalling! Now I would like to work on smoothing out my shifts and rev matching.
  • I am generally shifting gears when I shit 3k rpms, besides just getting more comfortable with releasing the clutch is there anything I can focus to help smooth my shifts more?
  • When moving the shifter from one gear to the next sometimes it is buttery smooth and sometimes it is not. Why is this? I can't figure out what I am doing differently. I am doing my best not to death grip the shifter and to push it gently into gear.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #154
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Apart from rolling off the clutch smoothly, all I can think of to make your shifts smoother is to progressively get faster with every motion. When shifting up, the faster you do it, while still being smooth, the more fluid the shift is.

Also, I've noticed that while shifting from 4th to 5th, I do get a little hung up. Not quite sure why, but it tends to slow down my shift which lets my revs drop a little lower than I like. As of late, instead of trying to "draw" that zig zag pattern from 4th to 5th, I just push to the right and upwards as if it were a straight diagonal line. This seems to help a bit.
Manic is offline   Reply With Quote