follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #1415
zoth

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow that looks very risky...
zoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #1416
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Installed kit last weekend. Tuned today. Wow. Some issues... But great power.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPCorBUST For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 02:19 AM   #1417
gmsii

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
and what scared you so much?
Don't worry...the KW adapter is plenty strong...just make sure it's centered (I don't know how the pulleys fit together so I can't comment as to if or how well the two pulleys fit together or center
gmsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #1418
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
nothing was ground, those 4 nubs don't touch the pulley, here's a pic. It looks like it's just sandwiched with crank pulley and held by the crank pulley bolt.

Wow, and the performance shop who did the install never mentioned this?
those nubs should go in between the OEM crank pulley and they should sit flush AFAIK ..

Did you check the tq on the crank pulley with a torque wrench? it should be 94 ft/lbs according to the service manual
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #1419
glamcem

I have searched for all the aftermarket crank pulley options and it looks like Beatrush is the only one that retains the OEM shape..too bad it costs more than $300 that's crazy expensive for a single pulley IMO

http://ft86speedfactory.com/beatrush...ulley-810.html
Old 06-07-2014, 02:54 AM   #1420
gmsii

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
That doesn't look like the stock pulley since it looks like there are more than 4 holes on it.. I also think they either trimmed it or fabricated somehow ..I wonder how it would affect the rigidity..

Do you know any lighter aftermarket crank pulley that keeps the OEM design and compatible with your adapter hub?
Why fixate on pulley weight? Lighter isn't necessarily better. You have a stock engine damper that was designed to help dampen to harmonics of the boxer-4 engine layout why would you remove it?

In race engines we build we usually see horsepower gains and smooth engine performance when we use heavy harmonic dampers such as the ATI super dampers

the ultra lightweight aluminum crank pulleys compromise the reliability of the engine....they are widely made and sold because they take no engineering or tooling to make, can be made cheap, and people buy them...unfortunately
The larger accessory pulleys are fine , just not the crank pulley
Old 06-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #1421
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsii View Post
Why fixate on pulley weight? Lighter isn't necessarily better. You have a stock engine damper that was designed to help dampen to harmonics of the boxer-4 engine layout why would you remove it?

In race engines we build we usually see horsepower gains and smooth engine performance when we use heavy harmonic dampers such as the ATI super dampers

the ultra lightweight aluminum crank pulleys compromise the reliability of the engine....they are widely made and sold because they take no engineering or tooling to make, can be made cheap, and people buy them...unfortunately
The larger accessory pulleys are fine , just not the crank pulley
because I need to be able to blip the throttle for rev matching since it's a safety issue at track, I locked up my rear tires and spun out at 90 mph no phun!! .. since with SC parasitic load/loss comes in play which ultimately slows the engine revving I have to find a way to compensate that..
the only alternatives seem like lighter crank pulley and/or lighter flywheel at the moment..I also ordered some Cusco Accelerator pedal but it will maybe a help a bit but I don't expect by much..

AFAIK, FA20 engine doesn't use harmonic balancers is that what you mean in your first paragraph?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:23 AM   #1422
gmsii

Quote:
because I need to be able to blip the throttle for rev matching since it's a safety issue at track, I locked up my rear tires and spun out at 90 mph no phun!! .. since with SC parasitic load/loss comes in play which ultimately slows the engine revving I have to find a way to compensate that..
the only alternatives seem like lighter crank pulley and/or lighter flywheel at the moment..I also ordered some Cusco Accelerator pedal but it will maybe a help a bit but I don't expect by much..

AFAIK, FA20 engine doesn't use harmonic balancers is that what you mean in your first paragraph?
harmonic balancer is a misnomer....the proper term is harmonic damper. all factory crank pulleys are harmonic dampers. going to a non-dampened lightweight aluminum pulley is a step backwards...a step forward would be an ATI damper or maybe have one custom made by BHJ.

here is a link to the ATI product:
http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...dam-subaru.htm

Here is a link to BHJ and also technical whitepapers about the importance of Harmonic Dampers:
http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php...vrsueignutk6u3

as for locking up and spinning out...dont dump the clutch. aside from that if you are trying to make the engine 'blip' faster, the crank pulley is the wrong place to look for that response. as was said before, start in the areas with the highest MOI (moment of inertia)..the crank pulley does not have enough mass or diameter to significantly impact the rate the engine spins up or spins down.....start at the flywheel and clutch package. an ideal set-up for you would be an ultralight flywheel combined with a 7" twin-disc carbon clutch (which you can feather and ride/slip all you want if you need to)...if the clutch isnt in the budget, even the flywheel alone will make a significant difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to gmsii For This Useful Post:
zoth (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #1423
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsii View Post
harmonic balancer is a misnomer....the proper term is harmonic damper. all factory crank pulleys are harmonic dampers. going to a non-dampened lightweight aluminum pulley is a step backwards...a step forward would be an ATI damper or maybe have one custom made by BHJ.

here is a link to the ATI product:
http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...dam-subaru.htm

Here is a link to BHJ and also technical whitepapers about the importance of Harmonic Dampers:
http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php...vrsueignutk6u3

as for locking up and spinning out...dont dump the clutch. aside from that if you are trying to make the engine 'blip' faster, the crank pulley is the wrong place to look for that response. as was said before, start in the areas with the highest MOI (moment of inertia)..the crank pulley does not have enough mass or diameter to significantly impact the rate the engine spins up or spins down.....start at the flywheel and clutch package. an ideal set-up for you would be an ultralight flywheel combined with a 7" twin-disc carbon clutch (which you can feather and ride/slip all you want if you need to)...if the clutch isnt in the budget, even the flywheel alone will make a significant difference.
thanks for all the technical info it seems like my best bet is to get a lighter flywheel as you suggested (probably a Exedy Stage 1 clutch since I prefer the OEM engagement) once I do that I will most likely change clutch at the same time

as for locking up, I never really dump the clutch but I perform late brake and try to carry as much as corner speed as I can, so my driving style requires me to operate very quick downshift/rev matching .. this may never be an issue for someone who uses his/hers car at street/auto-x but it's quite important for track use imo
Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #1424
Taino-BRZ

Drives: Subaru BRZ-SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I did I quick run on the 1/4 did mid 13 s on high altitude here in el paso TX with 100 degree weather. On street tires, I think 12s is doable on slicks and better temperatures. Yes I also enjoy drag racing.

Taino-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taino-BRZ For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #1425
gmsii

Quote:
thanks for all the technical info it seems like my best bet is to get a lighter flywheel as you suggested (probably a Exedy Stage 1 clutch since I prefer the OEM engagement) once I do that I will most likely change clutch at the same time

as for locking up, I never really dump the clutch but I perform late brake and try to carry as much as corner speed as I can, so my driving style requires me to operate very quick downshift/rev matching .. this may never be an issue for someone who uses his/hers car at street/auto-x but it's quite important for track use imo
what i mean is slip the clutch if you need to....its better than spinning out
there is nothing more sensitive to rear wheel lock up than a motorcycle during aggressive downshifting and braking....before slipper clutches became standard in racing motorcycles, in addition to matching engine speed, the rider needed to have good enough clutch control to slip the clutch to drag the engine rpm up to higher transmission speeds when necessary
Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #1426
PrimeMotoring

Drives: FRS with 2jz, 2015 STI 9.68@147
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Garage
We checked clearances and torqued the bolt to spec. Obviously the nubs do not line up due to the convex on the aftermarket crank pulley but the heights of the stock pulley to aftermarket pulley where the bolts sit is the same. The car has been dyno'ed and driven and torque was checked again to verify and all was well. I had mentioned to the customer the aftermarket pulley actually worked with the kw kit before customer had picked up the car.
PrimeMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PrimeMotoring For This Useful Post:
glamcem (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #1427
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Good luck getting one. Manufacturing issues have caused a serious delay. Nobody has them on stock, if you find one I'll purchase one too.

Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #1428
glamcem

Quote:
They did.

I still don't get your concern though? Yes those nubs are not going into the cranck pulley, they don't even touch it. The only potential issue could be pulley slippage against the kw insert but considering the bolt is torqued and the fact that if that happens the bolt just tightens I feels like all is good. Besides, before that slippage can happen I think the stock belt would rather slip?
These are just my assumptions so pls correct me if I'm wrong
maybe I am just being too skeptical again, my concern was the angle of the belt and the potential slippage but as you mentioned that may not be an issue since the bolt was torqued to the specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
Good luck getting one. Manufacturing issues have caused a serious delay. Nobody has them on stock, if you find one I'll purchase one too.

Interesting, after hearing the issues I highly doubt I would consider getting one, I think it's just not worth the effort/hassle considering that we have SC kit installed now.. I will probably get a lighter flywheel and call it a day the problem with these type of aftermarket parts (the ones that are made of weight savings) is the negligence of the importance of the OEM design .. the engineers of these cars have their own reasons for a particular design..oh well