follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #127
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
Do you think the bracket will clear the brake lines on a RHD car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
@Mishimoto, will your UK distributor http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/ sell this product soon?

Well it seems so...
We've actually recently found that the can does rub on the brake lines of the RHD models. A kind member of this forum provided some very helpful images depicting a slight clearance concern. Late last week we fabricated a new bracket, specifically for RHD models, and we are test fitting that unit very soon. Once confirmed, we will be able to offer an alternate kit for RHD fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
Anybody notice any noise coming from the can after install? I cant tell for sure, but feel like I'm hearing some kind of noise coming from that area when the engine is under load.
Interesting, the addition of this catch can should not cause any strange noises. Any chance you can shoot us a PM with more information about the type of sound you are hearing?

Thanks
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #128
yaguphire

Drives: white-out FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm getting a slight rattle noise around 2k rpm. I notice the can is close to the hose below it...
yaguphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #129
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaguphire View Post
I'm getting a slight rattle noise around 2k rpm. I notice the can is close to the hose below it...
Interesting. Sending you a PM shortly!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #130
WRB5titch

Drives: WRBrz
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
Anybody notice any noise coming from the can after install? I cant tell for sure, but feel like I'm hearing some kind of noise coming from that area when the engine is under load.
I'm also noticing this noise, sounds like a tin-ey vibration when engine is under load.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #131
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Mishimoto Build Thread: BRZ/FR-S Direct Fit Baffled Catch Can Kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB5titch View Post
I'm also noticing this noise, sounds like a tin-ey vibration when engine is under load.

Try opening the can and setting the metal colored piece towards the center.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
WRB5titch (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #132
WRB5titch

Drives: WRBrz
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Try opening the can an setting the metal colored piece towards the center.
will do!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #133
yaguphire

Drives: white-out FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So it is the circular metal piece that can twist?
yaguphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #134
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm guessing the piece vibrates and if it's close to the can's edges, it touches and create a slight rattle.
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #135
Rosticles

Drives: 1966 Mustang, 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Install difficulty for an automatic car should probably be bumped up to a 3/5. The automatic has a bunch of brackets and piping that make getting to the pcv valve all but impossible.

When mounted, the hoses rub up against the conduit for all the automatic electrics that run across the engine bay so obtusely.

I have no complaints with the setup, as there is no better way to do this. It just sucks a bit for an automatic. Just like with installing the GrimmSpeed cylinder brace, there's extra junk in the way. The silicon hoses are probably the best material choice for abrasion resistance, so I'm extremely happy about that.

Last edited by Rosticles; 01-27-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Rosticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #136
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB5titch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Try opening the can and setting the metal colored piece towards the center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaguphire View Post
So it is the circular metal piece that can twist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
I'm guessing the piece vibrates and if it's close to the can's edges, it touches and create a slight rattle.
Thanks guys! The piece you are referring to is the internal oil baffle. This component will swivel on the rod it is attached to. If it is touching the side of the can, it could certainly produce rattling under certain driving conditions. Let us know if adjusting this component eliminates the noise!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosticles View Post
Install difficulty for an automatic car should probably be bumped up to a 3/5. The automatic has a bunch of brackets and piping that make getting to the pcv valve all but impossible.

When mounted, the hoses rub up against the conduit for all the automatic electrics that run across the engine bay so obtusely.

I have no complaints with the setup, as there is no better way to do this. It just sucks a bit for an automatic. Just like with installing the GrimmSpeed cylinder brace, there's extra junk in the way. The silicon hoses are probably the best material choice for abrasion resistance, so I'm extremely happy about that.
Thanks for the feedback after installation! Although they shouldn't, please keep an eye on the hoses and let us know if they begin to wear in any way.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:44 AM   #137
eztygr

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
Do you think the bracket will clear the brake lines on a RHD car?
Yeah, unfortunately found the bracket hits the hard brake lines on the back of the engine bay (see Bracket.jpg)

And the can end of the inlet hose touches three things, the brake booster line (see Front.jpg), the wiring across the back of the intake manifold and the banjo joint on the clutch slave cylinder (see Inlet_Side.jpg)

The PVC end of the inlet hose clears everything. But is a huge pain to connect as on RHD cars there is a bracket for the brake booster hose in the way (see PVC_End.jpg). It is going to be very difficult to do up the clip on there!

The outlet hose from the can to the intake manifold clears everything, but only just (see Outlet_Side.jpg). It goes under the wiring with a millimetre or two to spare (see Front.jpg).

As John mentioned Mishimoto are revising the bracket for RHD, so looking forward to that = ) I have asked Pat from Mishimoto customer services if they are revising the inlet tube also as it is rubbing on all that stuff, but have not heard back as yet

Bracket.jpg

Front.jpg

Inlet_Side.jpg

PVC_End.jpg

Outlet_Side.jpg
eztygr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eztygr For This Useful Post:
keen as (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #138
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by eztygr View Post
Yeah, unfortunately found the bracket hits the hard brake lines on the back of the engine bay (see Bracket.jpg)

And the can end of the inlet hose touches three things, the brake booster line (see Front.jpg), the wiring across the back of the intake manifold and the banjo joint on the clutch slave cylinder (see Inlet_Side.jpg)

The PVC end of the inlet hose clears everything. But is a huge pain to connect as on RHD cars there is a bracket for the brake booster hose in the way (see PVC_End.jpg). It is going to be very difficult to do up the clip on there!

The outlet hose from the can to the intake manifold clears everything, but only just (see Outlet_Side.jpg). It goes under the wiring with a millimetre or two to spare (see Front.jpg).

As John mentioned Mishimoto are revising the bracket for RHD, so looking forward to that = ) I have asked Pat from Mishimoto customer services if they are revising the inlet tube also as it is rubbing on all that stuff, but have not heard back as yet
Thanks for chiming in! We are currently working to develop a bracket specific for RHD vehicles. Our prototype is now in the test-fitting process and we should have an update in the coming weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience guys!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #139
zeal86

Drives:
Thanked 1,773 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I received my Beatrush Type 2 Front Tower Bars this past Thursday...awesome product but because of how the mounts are made the bracket for the oil catch can would not mate up.

I'm sure some of the other aftermarket front tower bars might present this problem as well... here is my solution:

**1" stainless steel U-Bolt purchased at Ace Hardware.**

**Line up, mark, and drill hole in catch can bracket.**

**Installs as pictured.**

**Used an anti-chafe tape to protect metal surface and to create some friction in order to eliminate any potential rotation.**

projekt zeal86 build

Last edited by zeal86; 03-23-2015 at 11:55 PM.
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zeal86 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-14-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #140
zeal86

Drives:
Thanked 1,773 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Installed pics...

**Installed some stand-offs to prevent any potential rubbing... this is more of a preventative measure than a requirement...at least on LHD 6-speed 86s.**

projekt zeal86 build

Last edited by zeal86; 03-22-2015 at 01:03 AM.
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeal86 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-14-2015), TheBRZsKnees (04-25-2017)