follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #127
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXcellent View Post
So, is something wrong and should I be concerned, but I changed out my stock wheels for a winter set of wheels without TPMS on Saturday and have driven the car for two days, but the TPMS warning light has not come on at all. I know when I had low pressure on the stock wheels, the warning light came up, so I filled up the tires with air and the warning light went away. Shouldn't the TPMS warning light be on constantly now that the winter tires don't have TPMS?
Only comes on after about 20-30 miles of driving. It will stay on unless you park near your stock rims and the car can pick up the sensors.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #128
Shimmyshake

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
You have an interesting Gubbermint! Socialized medicine, but no idiot minders?
....yea...ah well...the things the gubbermint does...LOL
Shimmyshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #129
texas2888

Drives: 2007 Tundra, 2013 FR-S, 2009 C50T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to texas2888
I purchased aftermarket wheels back in June. I also purchased another set of sensors at the same time at Discount Tires. There is STILL no solution to resetting those sensors to work with the car. Therefore, the light is always on. Discount is looking into a solution for the problem but no answer yet. Is it possible that you could use another cars setting to make it work properly?
texas2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #130
i_4got

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
Only comes on after about 20-30 miles of driving. It will stay on unless you park near your stock rims and the car can pick up the sensors.
I park near my stock rims, but I drove about 60 km (I think that's around 40-50 miles? Not sure) the other day on my winter tires (with no TPMS on them). But my light never turned on. Any idea why?
i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #131
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4got View Post
I park near my stock rims, but I drove about 60 km (I think that's around 40-50 miles? Not sure) the other day on my winter tires (with no TPMS on them). But my light never turned on. Any idea why?
IIRC, cars in Canada don't have TPMS sensors.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #132
i_4got

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
IIRC, cars in Canada don't have TPMS sensors.
It's not a legal requirement in Canada, but someone here confirmed that Canadian FR-S comes with it while the BRZ doesn't. I have an FR-S, so I assume I have one in my stock wheels.
i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #133
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Drives: 13 FRS 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
If models in Canada have TPMS or not possible that its a simple hardware fix. Its either that or they ship different coding in the ECM.

I disabled the TPMS on my 06 Tundra. Been a long while but it was online. Think you had to just track down a wire and tie it to a ground to disable the light.

I hate TPMS and will disable it at some point on the FRS.

I have a new wheel and tire package coming, without the sensors.
FRSFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #134
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
One note. When I switched to my winter wheels without TPMS sensors the light came on pretty quick and would go on and off periodically. I was playing around with techstream and cleared all the errors in techstream. After I used techstream the light hasn't come back on again.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #135
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
One note. When I switched to my winter wheels without TPMS sensors the light came on pretty quick and would go on and off periodically. I was playing around with techstream and cleared all the errors in techstream. After I used techstream the light hasn't come back on again.
I just visited a torrent and downloaded TechStream. Also Ebay and bought a cable from China. Whether I can work through TPMS with this software or not it would still come in handy for other things in the future.

I'm also looking through the service manuals to see if I can locate the TPMS wiring in the instrument panel hoping there is potential to disable the light there. Of course I could tear into the cluster and cover it as some have done.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #136
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSFirestorm View Post
I just visited a torrent and downloaded TechStream. Also Ebay and bought a cable from China. Whether I can work through TPMS with this software or not it would still come in handy for other things in the future.

I'm also looking through the service manuals to see if I can locate the TPMS wiring in the instrument panel hoping there is potential to disable the light there. Of course I could tear into the cluster and cover it as some have done.
There is a write up on how to get into the cluster and block the light.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7827
FRSFirestorm (12-30-2012)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #137
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
cancel
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #138
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Just a quick followup. I haven't completely given up the hardware disable of the light but it isn't looking good. From the wiring diagrams I've found appears the TPMS signals are read from the antenna in the rear deck lid. Then fed to the Body ECM. I couldn't find the actual TPMS light in the instrument cluster, since its not used universally, all countries I'm assuming its left blank in the manuals I have. Anyway it appears the light in the cluster is signaled via the CAN bus. Not an individual circuit you could disable.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #139
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylisPro View Post
I have a 2008 S2000 and I ran into the same problem when buying new wheels for it.
My solution for the TPMS was to buy a TPMS scan tool to reprogram my aftermarket sensors that I bought for my aftermarket wheels.

I have an ATEQ VT55 that can reprogram almost any sensor on the market and is the same tool that many dealers use. I have the OBDII version which is needed to reprogram Asian vehicles like Toyota, Subaru and Honda.

The aftermarket TPMS sensors that I bought are the new VDO REDI-Sensor which is designed to be a universal sensor that covers many OEM TPMS sensors and costs way less on Amazon.com. I am sure it will be compatible with the new FR-S/BRZ.

At first I thought the TPMS was stupid too, but one day I got a TPMS light and I discovered that I had a nail in my right rear. A few weeks later the light came back on and I had another nail in my left rear. I was glad to have the TPMS because I would have been stuck with a flat eventually if not for it.

If any of you guys are near the Northern California East Bay area, hit me up and I can help you with your TPMS sensors reprogramming
I don't know why but it took me 40 minutes to read this thread. Very distracting. LOL
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pbrown For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-23-2014), PLZdontscream (01-29-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #140
scioneric

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scioneric View Post
I put my winter tire with aftermarket alloy on my car for almost 3 week no TPMS, no TPMS light comes on my dash!!! Very lucky but i don't know why and how? No TPMS sensor on my winter alloy and my factory wheel is in my cousin's house(miles away) Phone my service manager and they don't even know why In my wife's sienna the TPMS light will comes on right after the winter tire on the car.....weird
After two months with my aftermarket alloy w/o TPMS the light came on 22nd Dec while I parked in a public car park and stay on. Last week I drove my car to my cousin's garage(since my OEM alloy sitting there) My TPMS light gone againSo weird!
scioneric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scioneric For This Useful Post:
niceguy21 (04-19-2013)