follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #127
Verdugo
Senior Editor @ NWMotiv

Drives: 2002 Do-Luck WRX, 2010 Audi A4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1x5tuh View Post
i would love to get the nikon d700 but it lacks fps due to full frame sensor
That's not necessarily true. I use my D700 on the track with no problems...shoots 5 fps no problem, and you can put in the battery with grip door adapter from the D3 and shoot 8 fps full frame all day long. Sure, it's a tiny bit slower than the D300 right out of the box (D300 shoots 6 fps versus D700's 5 fps), but once you put in the D3 battery, both of them will shoot at 8 fps, except the D700 will do it full frame.

This was verified in testing too

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/page13.asp
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #128
tr1x5tuh
The Original Super Saiyan

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
That's not necessarily true. I use my D700 on the track with no problems...shoots 5 fps no problem, and you can put in the battery with grip door adapter from the D3 and shoot 8 fps full frame all day long. Sure, it's a tiny bit slower than the D300 right out of the box (D300 shoots 6 fps versus D700's 5 fps), but once you put in the D3 battery, both of them will shoot at 8 fps, except the D700 will do it full frame.

This was verified in testing too

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/page13.asp
true true.... but hell a used d700 still runs about 1700 lol body only and if u shoot in dx mode im pretty sure i cant afford a full frame lens right away it will shoot only around 6 megapixels..... o wells better start saving for the d800... could of been released by now but damn floods in thailand
tr1x5tuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 AM   #129
Verdugo
Senior Editor @ NWMotiv

Drives: 2002 Do-Luck WRX, 2010 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1x5tuh View Post
true true.... but hell a used d700 still runs about 1700 lol body only and if u shoot in dx mode im pretty sure i cant afford a full frame lens right away it will shoot only around 6 megapixels..... o wells better start saving for the d800... could of been released by now but damn floods in thailand
I sold my DX lenses easily within a week when I was able to afford a D700...since there's still a lot of DX camera owners out there, the demand is still pretty damn high for DX lenses, especially pro-level lenses like the 17-55 ƒ2.8 and the 70-200 ƒ2.8 VR1. Making the switch to full frame was a pretty easy process for me, and even when the D800 comes out, the D700 is still going to have good lasting technology. Hell, the technology is already almost 4 years old and it still kicks ass.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #130
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Hey, this article is pretty good. It talks about "Why your camera's sensor size matters"

Here is the link
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #131
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My wife and I bought a Nikon D90 about a year ago. Probably the best bang for the buck for us in our price range (+ wanted a new camera, not used). We absolutely love it. Recently I have been lusting after a D700, but realize the D90 is more than enough camera for us now and if anything should invest in some lenses next instead of another body.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #132
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
My wife and I bought a Nikon D90 about a year ago. Probably the best bang for the buck for us in our price range (+ wanted a new camera, not used). We absolutely love it. Recently I have been lusting after a D700, but realize the D90 is more than enough camera for us now and if anything should invest in some lenses next instead of another body.
I also think the Sony NEX 5N is great bang for the buck too. I was close to winning one once.
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #133
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
I also think the Sony NEX 5N is great bang for the buck too. I was close to winning one once.
Cool. Did a little reading on it, sounds like a great camera.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #134
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeS View Post
Hmm.. Well, when it comes to photography, I've always kept one thing in mind. Good glass before a good body.

Pretty much, you can always replace the camera body, those come and go. However, good lenses are just that, they're good lenses. When you buy a camera body, you're buying into the camera system. So pick your lenses, then pick a body. (that's what I do anyways).

So, what do you plan on taking pictures of? Will it be more often "night" or more often bright and sunny? Will you be taking pictures indoors or outdoors?

Do you want a "zoom lens" or a "prime" lens, prime lenses are fixed focal length, zooms... well zoom. I lean towards prime lenses, because they often are of much higher quality than a normal zoom lens. However the most important thing about primes is that they have a faster f-stop than their zoom equivalent, so you get more light and a shallower depth of field. Zooms are nice because they can fill many roles at the loss of some quality and speed and one doesn't have to change lenses as often.

Now about that Sony alpha77, I know it has a translucent mirror. In SLT cameras, the light goes through the mirror before it hits the sensor. You lose some light there. For someone like me, who shoots in dark conditions, I would like to keep as many photons of light as possible. That's not to say the alpha77 isn't a good camera (Its actually a really good one, handles nicely too) it just might not fit your needs.

Oh, and for everything else...

I shoot with a Pentax K-5; the DA* 55mm f1.4 and the super-thin DA 40mm f2.8 Limited
thanks alot sir
as I stated before this will be my 1st dslr, so thats why I ask you guys here cuz you know better than me. Anyway, I can save up to $2000 for my 1st dslr. My idea is to have the best for $ dslr that is balanced performance for the momey paid (I mean somthing will do good in all conditions for a noob like me )
I some times shot at bright day time, some times at night,,,ect thats why I need a good balanced dslr. Oh also this should last around 6 years. I have no plan to replace my camara within shot time, so I can focus on better lens's

you can see some of my shots here (mosty about cars, with stupid skills, and point and shot camera)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8313751@N07/

I know canon and nikon has so much lens selections but not sure which on of them had a good dslr?
I know 7d is good but that one is made in 2009 right?

for final thoughts, which camera should I buy? also what best 3 lens's combo is best (1 wide, 1 good prime lens, and 1 with range of 18-200mm or more yah I think I hate the idea of changing lens's so I want somthing that can be good for almost eveything )
Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #135
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
I know canon and nikon has so much lens selections but not sure which on of them had a good dslr?
Both companies make excellent cameras and high quality lenses. Honestly, you'd have a hard time finding a bad dslr these days, the marketplace is very competitive so none of the camera companies can afford to make bad products.

A 7D is even more overkill than a a77. Those expensive cameras won't make your photos any better. They are expensive because they have features that let professional photographers take photos with less effort and fewer missed shots. You can take photos every bit as good on an entry level camera, it just takes a bit longer. If you are not going to be earning your living with the camera, spending $2k on it is utter foolishness.

Quote:
for final thoughts, which camera should I buy? also what best 3 lens's combo is best (1 wide, 1 good prime lens, and 1 with range of 18-200mm or more yah I think I hate the idea of changing lens's so I want somthing that can be good for almost eveything )
Any camera will take good photos in bright sunlight, cameras love light. It's the low light situations that challenge a camera. Expensive cameras tend to have better image quality at high sensitivity (ISO) settings, but you'll get better results by shooting at low-medium ISO with a fast lens (low f number) and an external flash anyway.

Cameras don't become less capable with age. A camera will still take nice photos in 6 years whether you spent $4000 or $400 on it.

My advice, get a Nikon D3100. It's ~$600 new and the 18-55mm kit lens is actually very good. If you aren't interested in taking video, and prefer to shoot through the viewfinder (I know I do), save yourself $100 and get a D3000. Lens wise, the 18-55mm kit lens is a keeper. Pair it with a 35mm f/1.8g for low-light and short DOF shots ($200 and a bargain at twice the price IMO)

As for an 18-200mm lens...
Lenses like that aren't good for almost everything, they're mediocre for absolutely everything. They're often referred to as "vacation lenses" because they're only ideal in situations where you can only really take one lens with you. For $200 more than an 18-200, get the 80-200mm f/2.8 (~$1100) which is a very good lens. Get yourself a tripod and a camera bag and you're all set for about the same amount of money as you are willing to spend on the camera kit alone.

I'm sure there are similar options from Canon, but I'm not particularly familiar with their stuff.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #136
tr1x5tuh
The Original Super Saiyan

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Quote:
thanks alot sir
as I stated before this will be my 1st dslr, so thats why I ask you guys here cuz you know better than me. Anyway, I can save up to $2000 for my 1st dslr. My idea is to have the best for $ dslr that is balanced performance for the momey paid (I mean somthing will do good in all conditions for a noob like me )
I some times shot at bright day time, some times at night,,,ect thats why I need a good balanced dslr. Oh also this should last around 6 years. I have no plan to replace my camara within shot time, so I can focus on better lens's

you can see some of my shots here (mosty about cars, with stupid skills, and point and shot camera)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8313751@N07/

for $2000 u can get a nikon d7000 with a lens im not sure which lens it is. there is also the nikon d70 is a good bang for the buck. but u should look at some glass then a body. body =commitment.
tr1x5tuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #137
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
My I had my camera so took my New Year Day Lunch/Dinner... & yes, everything is made at home. We didn't order from the restaurant

and the dessert was lol
Old 01-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #138
NastyNate

Drives: 05 MazdaSpeed Miata
Here's some of mine:

Using a Cannon sx10 point n shoot and no editing.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #139
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ichi your pictures belong in the food thread. Haha

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #140
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Ichi your pictures belong in the food thread. Haha