follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Car for the girlfriend: GTI vs WRX

My girlfriend bought her current car (92 Acura Legend) 4 years ago for $1,000 and its starting to behave like its not entirely healthy anymore. Obviously at that price range, serious repairs aren't going to be worth it.

Shes not entirely car savvy so shes going off of my recommendations. We've figured that we're looking in the $15-20k range. It has to get better gas mileage then the 17/22 her Acura gets(shouldn't be difficult), and she wants a hatchback. It also has to be something that I wouldn't mind driving or be too much of an insurance gouge.

Also her parent's live about 2 hours away in the high desert of Klamath Falls, where there is still snow on the side of the road in some places right now. This is why i suggested the WRX.

So as the title states i've narrowed the finalists down to a MK5/MK6 GTI or a 2007+ WRX hatchback(non STI). I personally have a little experience with both VW and subbie, my brother owns an 09 STI, my father has an 09 Jetta TDI, and I've test drove an 08 R32.

GTI - PROS:
Good MPG 22/29
DGS (Shes not %100 comfortable with manuals)
Cheaper insurance
Nicer interior
More mature

CONS:
Not as "sporty looking" her words not mine
FWD(only matters for visiting parents in winter really)

WRX - PROS:
AWD
More POWWWWAAA(that goes in my pros list, maybe not hers lol)
Boxer rumble
Slightly more interior space
Looks "more sporty" hood scoop/wing etc.
More outspoken(?), for lack of a better term. Could be a + or -

CONS:
Not as good of MPG 18/25
No dual clutch option(i refuse to get an auto WRX)
Only available in hatchback form as 4 doors (she's leaning towards the 2 door GTI)
Used WRX's usually tend to be more abused.

Obviously i could toss this thread around on someplace like the VW vortex but I would think it would get a pretty bias response, so i'm throwing it out to you all.

What one would you pick and why? For you personally or if you were a 22 year old woman.

Any horror stories from either choice?

Any love stories from either choice?

SOUND OFF BELOW
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The mk6 GTI with DSG is actually rated higher than that by EPA: 24/33 mpg.

I've got a 2011 GTI 4-door. Ever since I bought my FR-S, my fiancee hijacked my GTI. She loves it. The interior is upscale, it comes with nice features she likes (steerable HIDs, nav, BT, moonroof, plaid seats), and it's quiet on the highway. The suspension tuning is typical German-firm, but there's a good amount of body roll and obviously it doesn't handle anything like an FR-S. The engine's got pick-up down low (full torque at 1800 rpm), but you will get wheelspin from the front wheels. The rear seats on the GTI are surprisingly large, but the cargo area is small unless you fold the seats down. As is typical with German cars, GTI's have some minor issues to watch out for -- creaky door seals, carbon build up, DSG mechatronics, etc., but overall, it's a solid, sporty daily driver.

My fiancee likes the GTI a lot (much better than my STI hatch, which she hated), but every girl is different obviously. We're planning to keep our's until we need something bigger.

This is her getting a speeding ticket in our GTI. She's become a bit of a speeder since driving it lol:

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Trashed675

Garage
Thanks for the input. I remember reading something about the DSG issues back when i was considering an R32. How common is it for them to misbehave, and how much are they to fix?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
On the mk6's, mechatronics issues were very rare.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14811

I believe it was more of an issue on the mk5's. It's an expensive part to fix (couple thousand to replace), but should be covered by the 5yr / 60k powertrain warranty. When you go for a test-drive, make sure to pay attention to the transmission in 1st. If the car hesitates moving from a stop, then you hear a loud bang and feel like you got rear-ended, you know the mechatronics unit is going bad.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Natheria
Overlord

Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I would think the mention of insurance would mark the WRX right out since it has a reputation for being owned by... unsavory hooligan sorts. I don't know how the GTI compares for insurance.
As much as i don't like dubs i would say the GTI is probably better overall for her if she isn't completely comfortable with manual (that changes as you start driving it every day but i don't know how much against manual she is) and she gets better mpgs. The WRX would be my personal choice except i wouldn't really want one of those late model hatchbacks, at least until the recent face lift (they are just blobtasticly dreadful looking in my eyes).

I know I'm a bit of a mazda fanboy, but have you considered a mazda 3 or even a hatch 6? I always love driving my dad's 04 m3. The steering is just so nice and the shifting is crisp. I'm actually looking into selling my dd civic for one it's that good. The civic is just so boring that i'll gladly take the hit in fuel economy. Plus i want to get a hatchback like you guys because there have been so many times i've wished i had one when i have large odd shaped cargo.

If either of those aren't racy enough for you then there is always the option of looking for a mazdaspeed 3 or late model speed6 (unfortunately the speed6 isn't a hatch though). The speed3 is the direct rival of the GTI anyway so it's a great car to consider at the very least if your into the GTI. At the very least i would go looking for one of each to test drive and see how you like them. I would love to get a speed3 or speed6 as a daily but they are just a little too far out of my price range at the moment. They both also tick very much the same boxes you are looking for. Still more economical than her old legend, practical, and all the speed3's are hatch. I would also think the mazdas have better insurance rates than at least the WRX since it's not as mainstream and you don't have as many ken block wannabes in mazdas ruining the rates.
Natheria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Natheria For This Useful Post:
Marchy (07-08-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Tim_Asphalt_FRS
Is it fast? No.

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual-Asphalt
I'd also consider a Mazda3 hatch. My fiancé has a '13 Mazda3 Skyactiv sedan and loves it. You should be able to get a brand new one for under $20K. They're surprisingly fun to drive for a FWD car, have a great 6sp AT transmission. More torque than an 86, great mileage, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 (Rebadged) Toyota GT-86 {Perrin intake tube, aFe dry air filter, custom 2.5" exhaust, PLM overpipe, Kartboy crank pulley, Hotchkis springs, custom Flossy grip tape shorty, TRD shifter, Berk HFC, Whiteline Sway-bars}
[Wanted: Delicious Stg 2 tune, Bilstein struts]
Tim_Asphalt_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheria View Post
I would think the mention of insurance would mark the WRX right out since it has a reputation for being owned by... unsavory hooligan sorts. I don't know how the GTI compares for insurance.
As much as i don't like dubs i would say the GTI is probably better overall for her if she isn't completely comfortable with manual (that changes as you start driving it every day but i don't know how much against manual she is) and she gets better mpgs. The WRX would be my personal choice except i wouldn't really want one of those late model hatchbacks, at least until the recent face lift (they are just blobtasticly dreadful looking in my eyes).

I know I'm a bit of a mazda fanboy, but have you considered a mazda 3 or even a hatch 6? I always love driving my dad's 04 m3. The steering is just so nice and the shifting is crisp. I'm actually looking into selling my dd civic for one it's that good. The civic is just so boring that i'll gladly take the hit in fuel economy. Plus i want to get a hatchback like you guys because there have been so many times i've wished i had one when i have large odd shaped cargo.

If either of those aren't racy enough for you then there is always the option of looking for a mazdaspeed 3 or late model speed6 (unfortunately the speed6 isn't a hatch though). The speed3 is the direct rival of the GTI anyway so it's a great car to consider at the very least if your into the GTI. At the very least i would go looking for one of each to test drive and see how you like them. I would love to get a speed3 or speed6 as a daily but they are just a little too far out of my price range at the moment. They both also tick very much the same boxes you are looking for. Still more economical than her old legend, practical, and all the speed3's are hatch. I would also think the mazdas have better insurance rates than at least the WRX since it's not as mainstream and you don't have as many ken block wannabes in mazdas ruining the rates.
She doesn't much care for the front end of the MS3 and the MS6 gets pretty terrible mileage(17/23), plus they are hard to find, let alone at a reasonable price. She doesn't mind the looks of the new Focus ST, but the few used ones i've found have still been too expensive.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Both are cool cars but personal experience and statistics show that VWs are maintenance nightmares. Go for the WRX.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Natheria
Overlord

Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
She doesn't much care for the front end of the MS3 and the MS6 gets pretty terrible mileage(17/23), plus they are hard to find, let alone at a reasonable price. She doesn't mind the looks of the new Focus ST, but the few used ones i've found have still been too expensive.
The front grill is pretty polarizing. I've found it kind of grows on you though. After looking at a couple i suddenly realized, "why DON'T we have more cars that are this happy!?". I know though that I'm just that kind of person and a grinning car fits my personality and feel more people should lighten up and not give a f***. So haters be damned!

Edit: If you're not that bothered about power, i have heard the non turbo focus with manual is also a great car to drive and is something to consider. As long as you stay away from the horrible dual clutch automatic.
Natheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,207 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
My sis recently got a 2012 GTI.
It was her choice after driving several cars (focus, veloster, mazda3, civic si)
It came down to the SI and the GTI and she liked the GTI better.

She wanted an STI but it was too expensive (well she changed her pricing budget a couple times since lol) and it only came in a manual transmission. Plus from what I understand one does not simply jump into an STI from say a Hyundai Elantra (her old car). Because its that much more hardcore.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Mazdaspeed3 FTW!

Sent from my yotaru
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leon78 For This Useful Post:
Marchy (07-08-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
CLM

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
instead of the WRX you can always get the Impreza Wagon(Better Gas mileage!! :})??? lol and jsut throw on the WRX lip/hood/wing on there LOL
CLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLM View Post
instead of the WRX you can always get the Impreza Wagon(Better Gas mileage!! :})??? lol and jsut throw on the WRX lip/hood/wing on there LOL
Ive thought about that, but it drives me nuts when you see a car that is a "fake" like the guys that drive around with an STI wing on a bug eyed WRX(There were NO REAL bugeyed STI's in the states). Just not our style I guess. Plus for the price of all the styling changes (WRX vs impreza) you'd be close to the price of just getting a WRX anyways. Plus our room mate has an 04 base impreza and her EXACT reaction to it, when i asked, was....."Mehhh".
Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
UMB FR-S

Drives: Ultramarine Blue FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
well as an avid car guy with an unbiased opinion i would say the GTI would be my pick. I am not a VW fan but the GTI is well known as a great car. It is quick enough to not be slow, has that great interior (especially with the plaid seats), has good handling characteristics, gets better millage out of the 2 and is known to be pretty reliable. I think for a DD for a girl that isn't going to be looking for performance numbers its the obvious choice. With the right set of tires you should never have a problem in the snow and really it is a reasonably sporty looking car in comparison to a wrx. only real difference is the hood scoop. If it was me buying for my gf the GTI would be the winner.
UMB FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UMB FR-S For This Useful Post:
Trashed675 (05-14-2013)