follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
PSA: Tips on what needs to be payed close attention on Fuel Pump install

Click for DIY for DW65c Fuel Pump Install. Awesome work @xxscaxx!!

So I made this post in my Build thread, but for the benefit of the community, I want to make it as visible as possible. (Direct copy and paste without quotation to make it easier to read)

So I know there are a lot of people wanting more information on fuel pump install.

I initially installed the Visconti pump and had some fuel issues. I removed it yesterday and installed the DW pump and noticed the issues I were having were NOT because of the Visconti pump, but install error (I take the blame for not veryfing ).

Use this post as reference for things that need to be checked are in properly before finishing the install.

I will include a series of pics to explain why i had fuel issues. There is a DIY install on fuel pump, so for explanation on how to remove and re-install it, please refer to that guide. Keep note that there is a difference between the DW pump and ALL other pumps available to date. All other pumps (be it Full Blown, Visconti, etc, etc...) are longer than the OEM pump and don't really fit the OEM canister. You need to workaround that to make it fit. More explanatin below.

So this is the way the Fuel Pump Assembly should look. Notice on the right hand pic, the clips are all the way down and "clipping" like they should.

Now look at my canister yesterday. Unfortunately I cut the Zip ties before taking the pic, but you can see where I needed to drill holes to hold the canister with the bigger fuel pump in place. Zip tie goes in the holes and up around the clip to hold it. I had to do this in the three clip locations (I took pic of each of them but for some reason I see only one in the phone gallery. )

Next pic is the DW pump assembled and inside its assembly ready to go inside the canister.

Now pay VERY close attention to the below pic. Notice the fuel like inside the canister that looks coming off that green "dot". That line was routed differently when I opened my canister yesterday. The routing it had taken had it pinched against one of the clips. What this did was sometimes when I drove, the car behaved awesome with no issue. BUT other times, it would jerk and seem to stall even giving it gas, because of gasoline starvation. That fuel line NEEDS to be routed towards the bottom of the can, not above and U shaped.

Now notice how the black and red cables have a little spot to be routed. It is EXTREMELY important to route all fuel lines and power cable the proper way becuase they will get pinched if out of place.

Notice how the cables are around the black fuel line. they CANNOT go below the line because when you bolt teh assembly you push it down completely and that will pinch the black line against the power lines.

Its hard to tell, but if you look at the right hand side of the pic, there is a clip that looks to be just above where the black and red cables connect. Now from the clip look left and you will see that the clip continues left all the way to the canister. notice the black fuel line below. This is the pinch point I had with the line. Instead of routing it below, it was bent right there in a U shape.

One more look at the cable routing (It is pretty well explained in the DW pump instructions see above link).

Finally, this is more or less what the assembly looks at the end. notice that with the DW pump, the clips DO CLIP in place, so no zip ties needed. Also, the DW pump includes the conector to plug and play, unlike all other pumps that you need to solder or crimp cables.

All in all, this is not a hard task by any stretch of the imagination BUT it is one of this tasks that you need to pay extremely close attention to detail.

The difference between the DW pump and all others is included connector for plug and play and the lenght is short enough for the pump assembly to clip in place (just like the OEM one). No need for zip ties or other work around to make it fit.

To install the Full Blown, Visconti or other larger fuel pumps, just drill the little holes and zip tie to them. There ARE Chemical resistant Zip Ties (can be found in one of the most awesome websites, Mcmaster-carr, click link).

The pros of the bigger pumps is higher fuel volume (at 280-290 LPH) compared to the DW 265 (yep you guessed right, 265 LPH). Also, for some reason DW does not have the most stellar reviews out there, while I can at least vouch for the Visconti pump that its top notch VERY high quality and great reviews.

Hope to have helped!! Hit me with questions!!

Edit: Below is my summary of the FP installs until I finally got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
There is a DIY in the forrum for FP install, I followed it but it was incomplete.

That DIY (supposedly for the Visconti pump), instructed you to not use the white spacer, only two O rings and the car did not even start because it was not holding pressure. I call someone and ask, and he says I probably inverted the cables (Visconti pump you need to solder the pum cables to the OEM connector). Took it out, installed second time, now the cables where really inverted so it didn't work. Third time, I inverted the cables and was told to use the white spacer and two O rings. This time the car started and worked fine.

I was wary on using zip ties to hold the canister together, so I took the plunge and bought the DW65c pump. Installed per the DW65c included instructions (two O rings, no white spacer). Worked fine for about two weeks, started getting fuel starvation at high RPMs on third. I took it out one last time..., so I installed 4 O rings and NOW finally my FP holds pressure all the way through any gear. The thing is that if the FP is not SUPER tight inside the canister, you start loosing fuel pressure through the sides of the O rings.

What I meant between the DW and Visconti pump is, the Visconti pump is made by Speed by Design and they have a good reputation and it also flows a bit more LPH at 290. DW don't have the best reputation in the industry (although most bad reviews are for injectors, not FP), and it flows a bit less at 265 LPH. Still 265 is good enough for 400 WHP and more.

Also, I've learned that the Visconti pump can fit in the canister and close with the original clips NOT using the OEM spacer and using only 3 O rings. Thanks to @killerkid08.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 03-31-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
1086 (04-25-2014), Cessblood (09-21-2013), ft86Fan (06-01-2013), Hawaiian (04-17-2013), SkullWorks (04-17-2013), xxscaxx (07-16-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Thanks for the PSA. Have you replaced the big black gasket or do you just keep reusing the same one?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Thanks for the PSA. Have you replaced the big black gasket or do you just keep reusing the same one?
The one on the last picture, on the top part of the canister or the gooey one inside the car?

I have't replaced either but I didn't even think you could replace the one on the canister, that's why I ask.

Have you?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
I think you can replace the one on the canister. The rib on the middle of it seperated the third time I pulled the pump out, so I removed that rib on mine. If I pull the pump again, I am going to order a new gasket. I hate the way you have to push the pump down while making sure the gasket is not getting destroyed while trying to get the white lock ring started.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
I think you can replace the one on the canister. The rib on the middle of it seperated the third time I pulled the pump out, so I removed that rib on mine. If I pull the pump again, I am going to order a new gasket. I hate the way you have to push the pump down while making sure the gasket is not getting destroyed while trying to get the white lock ring started.
I didn't have much problems the first two times (I had someone helping!) then yesterday by myself I had a hell of a time getting it to screw down. But that gasket thankfully has not moved out of place on me.

Oh and not only you need to hold the pump down while screwing in the lock ring, but also making sure the pump assembly doesn't rotate!! What a Pita.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Bump for Fuel Canister Assembly pics...
Old 05-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
paid*

great info, thanks for the pics!
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-29-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I put the assembly lube all over my gasket ring seemed to help
Sportsguy83 (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
I put the assembly lube all over my gasket ring seemed to help
The key here, again as I learned breaking it!!! , is to sit the canister inside the tank, grab the black gasket and slide it by itself over the tank, make sure its properly flush inside the tank and then push down to tighten the big ring. I was so stupidly easy to tighten the ring that last time doing this and ensures you don't break the gasket.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
charged86 (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
charged86

Quote:
The key here, again as I learned breaking it!!! , is to sit the canister inside the tank, grab the black gasket and slide it by itself over the tank, make sure its properly flush inside the tank and then push down to tighten the big ring. I was so stupidly easy to tighten the ring that last time doing this and ensures you don't break the gasket.
How in the world did you put the canister in then the gasket ill never know! Also if my problem of fuel cut continues ill have to try more o rings wish I could ditch the canister completely
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
How in the world did you put the canister in then the gasket ill never know! Also if my problem of fuel cut continues ill have to try more o rings wish I could ditch the canister completely
LOL!! No, I didn't put the gasket after the canister!! I left the gasket in the canister instead of setting it down on the tank. Pay very close attention to your AFR gauge, as soon as you see it climb to 13 and up AFR at WOT, stop and that's probably it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
charged86 (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
We used 3 o-rings and no spacer on my car also with the Visconti pump.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
We used 3 o-rings and no spacer on my car also with the Visconti pump.
Wished I would have had the presence of mind of trying this first before buying a different pump.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
charged86

Quote:
Wished I would have had the presence of mind of trying this first before buying a different pump.
So first time I filled tank with new fuel pump and I smell gas. Not happy boy.