follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I don't have advice, but i'm in the same boat. Someone hit my dad's van while the car was parked and no one was in the car, it's complete other's fault. Since we needed to repair the car asap, just dropped it off at insurance service center.
They said we will pay deductible first then get reimbursed once the other insurance accepts their fault.

but I doubt the rate will go up since it's not your fault at all.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinickie View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I have a question for people who have been through an accident:

My insurance is offering to take care of the vehicle under my uninsured/underinsured coverage (assess the damage and repair or cut me a check if it's a total loss), and then go after the other guy's insurance company. I'm hesitant to do this because I don't want my rate to go up, and I would have to pay a $250 deductible. They'll waive the deductible if the other insurance accepts fault, which I don't see how they couldn't, but I'm still worried about my rate.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with something like this?
Go through your insurance. That way you can see if your car is totaled or start getting it repaired right away. If you wait for the other party's insurance it may be a long wait since (even though their client is at fault) they really don't want to pay.

There's four scenarios you are looking at here:

1) You go through your own insurance, the car starts getting fixed immediately. You're out your $250 deductible.
_____a) Their insurance accepts fault (or there's a fight and you win). They right you a check for the damages plus the deductible.
_____b) It's determined you are at fault. You don't get your $250 back. You're rates go up.

2) You wait and go through their insurance. (This can take a while)
_____a) Their insurance accepts fault (or there's a fight and you win). They pay to get your car fixed.
_____b) It's determined you are at fault. You have to go through your insurance anyway. See 1b.

So 1a and 2a are essentially the same. 2a just takes longer. 2b is exactly the same as 1b.

Go through your insurance. You pay them for a reason. Let them fight the battle for you. If you're not at fault then your rates won't go up even though you went through your own insurance.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #31
sf86

Drives: Red Scion FRS AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinickie View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I have a question for people who have been through an accident:

My insurance is offering to take care of the vehicle under my uninsured/underinsured coverage (assess the damage and repair or cut me a check if it's a total loss), and then go after the other guy's insurance company. I'm hesitant to do this because I don't want my rate to go up, and I would have to pay a $250 deductible. They'll waive the deductible if the other insurance accepts fault, which I don't see how they couldn't, but I'm still worried about my rate.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with something like this?
Same situation happened to me before and everything worked out fine. My insurance rate didn't go up.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
sf86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #32
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Glad you're ok! Fuggin curse strikes again!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #33
Jahdai42
Bajan Yankee

Drives: 2016 4-Runner Trail
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Glad to hear that you are OK,
Kinickie (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #34
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Never done this, but can't you use your deductible then sue the other insurance to get your $250 back? I assume your insurance co would include this as a part of their lawsuit against the other insurance.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #35
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Never done this, but can't you use your deductible then sue the other insurance to get your $250 back? I assume your insurance co would include this as a part of their lawsuit against the other insurance.
Correct. If the other party is determined to be at fault, then the OP will get the deductible back.

If the other party's insurance accepts liability they'll just cut the check to the OP directly. If they don't accept liability the OP's insurance is going to sue them anyway and a court will figure it out. If the court says the other party is at fault, the other party's insurance will cut a check.

Like I said, OP, you pay your insurance company a premium. Use it. Let them do the work.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #36
Cheddar
Saving them pennies...

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf86 View Post
Same situation happened to me before and everything worked out fine. My insurance rate didn't go up.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Same thing here with my 2011 GTI. I got a letter from time to time from the attorney representing my insurance company (State Farm) letting me know that if they do recover any type of cash form the other guys insurance (Kingsway Amaigo) , that my $1000 deductable will be the first thing refunded.

Other then that they paid off the car, I kept $5K, and bought my FRS. My rate actually went down when I added the FRS.
Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #37
RiceCooker

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Really glad you are ok. Your life will always be worth more. Be happy the car kept you safe.

Poor Firestorm =(
RiceCooker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiceCooker For This Useful Post:
Kinickie (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I wouldn't want my car to be messed up, but if I were in an accident in any vehicle, I would want it to be the FRS. Safest car I've ever driven.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #39
QuikSilveRX-8

Drives: SE3P
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Unless there is significant frame damage, if the cost of fixing the car exceeds the amount of the car's value. It will be determined as a total loss. Remember the linked quote I attached? Use that as a guide to get the most out of your car.

Three moving engine parts, yet complicated... Or do I mean complex?
QuikSilveRX-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #40
Kinickie
R.I.P Firestorm

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
Ok, so it turns out the guy has the same insurance company as I do. I spoke with his agent today and they're accepting full responsibility for the accident, so everything will be paid from his policy.

They're picking up the car from the junkyard tomorrow to assess it, and I should know no later than Monday if they're declaring the car totaled. Then it's just negotiating with his agent to get as much as I can for the car if it is totaled. I've got invoices and records for all of the maintenance I've done to the car that I'll ask to be included in the payout.

How they determine the payout for a totaled car is kind of interesting. They don't use NADA or KBB, instead they look at comparable cars that have sold withing 75miles of my house over the last 90 days. I was also told that they may want to see my purchase invoice detailing vehicle cost, tax, title, tags, dealer fees, etc. to help determine the payout figure. Since this is such a new model and there aren't many used ones to be had I'm hoping to get pretty close to what I paid for the car.
Kinickie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kinickie For This Useful Post:
akuhei (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #41
Vanga

Drives: 07 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hopefully they give you a full payout! If you don't mind me asking, What insurance do you go through?
Vanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #42
Kinickie
R.I.P Firestorm

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanga View Post
Hopefully they give you a full payout! If you don't mind me asking, What insurance do you go through?
I hope so! I have Progressive insurance, and have been with them for 5 years. So far, they've been really great throughout this whole thing.
Kinickie is offline   Reply With Quote