follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #127
b$m1th91

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok so I got the harness in finally. The relay has a direct battery fused power lead(30), 87 has the fog light power lead going from relay to h11 sockets,86 has the ground from the fog lights to it and a ground for the relay(so it is the ground for the relay and also grounds fog lights), and the last port 85 has the button wire. The button has two wires which are combined into one that connects to the wire coming from relay 85(so 85 is the button on the relay),then there is a red wire with no fuse that ties into a power source such as the battery, and lastly there is a ground wire for the button.
Current Mods- [Fog lights, Takeda CA Intake, LED swaps(Dome, Reverse, Trunk)..., Painted Calipers Red, Beatsonic Shark Fin Antenna] Future Mods- Takeda Exhaust, Perrin Crank Pulley, Reverse Fog light, Rota torque wheels, Custom Sound System:happy0180:
b$m1th91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #128
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b$m1th91 View Post
Ok so I got the harness in finally. The relay has a direct battery fused power lead(30), 87 has the fog light power lead going from relay to h11 sockets,86 has the ground from the fog lights to it and a ground for the relay(so it is the ground for the relay and also grounds fog lights), and the last port 85 has the button wire. The button has two wires which are combined into one that connects to the wire coming from relay 85(so 85 is the button on the relay),then there is a red wire with no fuse that ties into a power source such as the battery, and lastly there is a ground wire for the button.
That ground wire on your switch is to provide ground for the switch's light.
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #129
b$m1th91

So I could tie the white wire into the ground correct?
Current Mods- [Fog lights, Takeda CA Intake, LED swaps(Dome, Reverse, Trunk)..., Painted Calipers Red, Beatsonic Shark Fin Antenna] Future Mods- Takeda Exhaust, Perrin Crank Pulley, Reverse Fog light, Rota torque wheels, Custom Sound System:happy0180:
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #130
HRTROB

Quote:
So what i am wondering from this diagram is, wouldn't there constantly be power running through the relay because the switch just grounds the circuit rather than provide the power source??
Google "BRZ Wiring Diagram". You will see that a lot of the systems (headlights, tail lights, horn, etc) are set up like that (Negative trigger). Power will not be "running" to the relay if the circuit is not complete. After reading the wiring diagram, you should have a better understanding.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #131
HRTROB

Quote:
So I could tie the white wire into the ground correct?
No.

That ground is NOT A SWITCHED GROUND. It is constant, to provide ground to the bulb inside your switch. If you tap that to the white wire, the indicator will light up regardless of the switch position.
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTROB For This Useful Post:
b$m1th91 (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #132
b$m1th91

So I should tie the white wire to the switch wire running to the relay because there is no power there until I press the button
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #133
HRTROB

Quote:
So I should tie the white wire to the switch wire running to the relay because there is no power there until I press the button
No.

Since you insist on using your positive trigger diagram, you can't tap your positive switch wire to the white wire.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #134
camelflage

Drives: pinto power
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
camelflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #135
b$m1th91

I finally had time to configure the relay diagram showing exactly how the harness i ordered is setup.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #136
HRTROB

Quote:
I finally had time to configure the relay diagram showing exactly how the harness i ordered is setup.
That diagram is FAIL You're feeding ground to both ends of the coil

I'm assuming your switch is a positive trigger. You can add a second relay to convert that trigger wire to negative.

85 and 30 to ground
86 to the trigger wire on the first relay
87 to the white wire pin 24
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #137
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
That diagram is FAIL You're feeding ground to both ends of the coil

I'm assuming your switch is a positive trigger. You can add a second relay to convert that trigger wire to negative.

85 and 30 to ground
86 to the trigger wire on the first relay
87 to the white wire pin 24
You sure??

He isn't using the stalk switch so I don't see why this won't work. I'm just basing this on the other diagrams that the pin out of the relay is correct. The ground in his switch is for switch illumination. He is using a positive trigger not a negative trigger.
Ducati 848
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #138
HRTROB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpracer View Post
You sure??

He isn't using the stalk switch so I don't see why this won't work. I'm just basing this on the other diagrams that the pin out of the relay is correct. The ground in his switch is for switch illumination. He is using a positive trigger not a negative trigger.
The last diagram he posted has the switch outputting a negative signal, and with 85 grounded, the coil won't be energized. However I'm assuming he just made a mistake and his switch is actually a positive trigger, so I pointed out that he could ad a second relay to convert that positive trigger to negative, allowing him to ground the white wire/pin 24
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #139
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
The last diagram he posted has the switch outputting a negative signal, and with 85 grounded, the coil won't be energized. However I'm assuming he just made a mistake and his switch is actually a positive trigger, so I pointed out that he could ad a second relay to convert that positive trigger to negative, allowing him to ground the white wire/pin 24
Ah yes, I see the ground path in his switch now. If that switch diagram is accurate it won't work. His switch must supply a 12 volt signal to the relay for the rest to work.
Ducati 848
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #140
b$m1th91

The 12v dash illumination wire will actually be to a power source such as ignition switch. this is a positive output relay because terminal 87 the output terminal is the red or power wire to the fogs and is powered from direct battery current. The reason the ground from the fogs goes to the terminal is because rather than the fogs be grounded individually, they are grounded via the relay. Yes this is a positive trigger setup.

Note: I bought this harness, i did not make it and how the switch is internally wired may not look exactly like this diagram i got off the internet and edited to my setup.